• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist crazies...let's hear your stories...I'll start.

djais1801

Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
So many of you know I am selling my RR Clone, and have it posted on CL. Well here is the CL dialogue from some nutjob-...You tell me: here is the email exchange...note this first line is all he wrote to start off the conversation, then flagged my post. I cannot wait to sell her and send him the news!

him: Way high for a fake! Take $6000?

me: Thanks for your advice

him: So $6000? or what?

me: No thank you

him: Dream on!

me: Thank you...it's been a pleasure

him: Why are you wasting my time? Keep trying to screw someone on that over priced fake, and stop bothering me! Found a REAL Runner for $12K! Good Luck trying to sell some fake for more! lol You clown!

Did you sent this to C/L? It is because of **** for brains people like this that I don't list much on C/L.

Not Craigslist, but a week or so ago I saw a nice charcoal grill on a far sale post group on Facebook. Arranged to meet the seller at him home about 15 miles away between 5 & 5:15. I show up at 5:05 and dude is not home. Wait a few minutes and split. I get home and call him out on fb. Thanking him for wasting my time and warning others to nor bother. He immediately come s back with profanity and says he was home and the grill and his truck were in the driveway. Then he says he went to the gas station and I should have waited. Then he says he was I. The back yard with his kids. Then he says I never showed and was trying to make excuses. All of his replies came without any responses from me. My reply was simply" you are a class act" . That sent him into a further profanity filled rant. My third and final post was" no vehicles or grill in driveway, you were not home. Enjoy your grill".
Some people.

Most of the crap I get from CL is people who try and make an offer before they even come out to look. Heck, asking if I'm flexible is ok but man, if you want to negotiate price, do it in front of my face and not on the phone.

This one isn't from CL but also from FB....a guy posted a pic of a race car that was being modified on his page. The guy that posted the pic has a race shop and builds this stuff all the time and the pic showed a bar going from the main hoop back to a frame rail and the weld looked like a beginner did it....but I've seen beginners lay down better. What I'm saying is this weld looked really nasty. Anyways, I simply asked who did the weld and all hell breaks loose. Damn. Simple question and really wanted to know if maybe they had a guy in training or the weld was done by a previous shop or what. Problem is that I know this guy and he and some of his buddies jumped in on the **** storm that came down on me. What they did was show me exactly what kind of people they are. I used to recommend his shop to others but not anymore. Imo, if you are going to post a pic of bad work, at least explain why the bad work is being posted so that others won't think that is the kind of work you do.

Last edited:
Lotta idiot's out there. Lotta just plain evil folks as well. Like you other fella's, I don't waste any time/thought with a clown like that. It's amazing they have the ability to survive.

Sold a Harley Davidson Road King a few years back. One guy shows up, and as anticipated wants to take it for a test ride. I ask if he has a motorcycle license and insurance. No motorcycle licence (including regular driver's, no temps, no insurance) So, no driving my bike... Get's all bent out of shape and vulgar, says no way he'd buy it considering I won't let him ride it and i'm just being an a**hole. Told him to hop in his truck he's driving illegally, go down to the DMV, get a licence, get a motorcycle license and we'll talk. Either way, we're both wasting our time. Then he demanded gas money for driving 20 miles to come see the bike. I told him I'm a patient fella, but that's fading quick...just leave!! He said he refused to leave until either he got gas money or he got to ride the bike. I let him know, I've been more than polite, you're not riding my bike illegally or without liability, not giving you a dime for gas and being on private property without welcome, if he doesn't leave real quick, there's a pretty good chance he's going to meet the wrong end of a 2" x 4", spade shovel or what ever else I grab to cure his attitude problem.

Sold a modified Ski-Doo 800CC H.O. snowmobile 2 years back. A guy and his son show up to take a look at it. He says it's for his 10 year old, 80lb son. They planned on heading up to Eagle River, WI that coming weekend, so his son could take it out on the trails and be riding his own sled. I told him this snowmobile is in no way is suited for his son. It's 170HP and weigh's 500lbs, and could easily man handle me if I wasn't respecting it. Second, the kid isn't old enough to even legally ride a sled on any trail, and being he isn't 12 years old, obviously he hasn't had snowmobile safety either. He got pissed, told me that really isn't any of my business and has the money and wants to buy. I told him it is my business considering I do not want to open the Sunday Paper and read about a 10 year old kid that went splat into the side of a spruce tree and took someone else out in the process. I tried to give some suggestions as far as lower profile machines, starting small and work his way up, keeping off the trails till completing snowmobile safety...so on and so forth, but both the dad and the son were just getting more and more frustrated. He basically took a wad of cash and shoved it right in front of my face "Take it or leave it!!!!!!!" I told him to save it for the casket, because if you put your boy on public trails, no experience, on a very high performance machine, and no regard for his safety and others, that's exactly what he'll be buying.

Cranky nailed it! You give these types just a little nudge and they will go out of their way to show their true "character".

I have experienced a bit of both off of Craigslist. I have had some real good ones and some real winners.

I was selling an 02 Stratus for $2700...I had put over 1000 into fixing the thing to be in pretty good shape and that included a set of tires which had nothing more then the trip from the shop to my house (3 miles) on them...receipt to prove it. Guy shows up with his son wanting to buy a car for his daughter...proceeds to do nothing but flame the thing and how those aren't new tires like I advertized. I pulled the receipt out of the glove box and proved it. He then tried to knock a 1000 off the price...I told him not a chance and he left.

on the other side i sold a dirtbike back in 2003. I had listed everything that was good and bad about the bike. A kid and his parents bought it. A couple days later I got a call from them saying that the piston ring was shot and it needed a new one. They told me that they couldn't be happier with the bike and just wanted to know if the bore was standard size or over sized....(I had told them it needed a new ring and a hone job).

Sold my 93 Dakota near christmas to some kid who was taking it on a road trip to the south somewhere...like 1000 miles. I got a call while he was driving saying his mom who is following him said she saw sparks from under the truck and wanted to know what was wrong with it. I told him there was nothing wrong with it unless he screwed it up some how...magically I never heard from him again.

Sold my ATV last fall. It was a real winner 1987...beat HARD...I disclosed every single thing wrong to the buyer...he didn't even want to test it...just loaded up and brought it home. I got a call a day later asking if i knew the drain plug was stripped out? I proceeded to tell him I had changed the oil fairly recently and it was not and insinuated that he probably did it...."well I suppose I may have"....dumbass...

These tales just prove what most of us have known for a long time, there are idiots everywhere. They are practically falling out of the trees. That's why I'm reluctant to post anything for sale on CL or Ebay. A lot of the contacts you get are off the wall dumb asses. Less than half of them have any brains or are serious about making a deal. It's just not worth all the BS. I've sold lots of stuff, cars, parts, tools, etc. just by word of mouth in our local area with very little drama. It usually takes a little longer but it's better than dealing with hordes of idiots.

I had the same situation as you Propwash years back. Had a car for sale in the local classifieds. Guy called and came to look at it. He wanted to take a test drive. I asked if he had a license and he said no. Sorry you can't drive it. I'll take you for a ride. He got all nasty with me. I told him that he needed to leave my property. He said that he wasn't going to and continued to yell at me. I told him that I was going into my house to get my 40. cal and if he was stupid enough to still be here when I came back out that I was going to shoot him in the knee caps. I did come in and get my gun and when I went back out he took off like a pussy on fire. I have very little patience for people like that.

Last edited:
I told him that I was going into my house to get my 40. cal and if he was stupid enough to still be here when I came back out that I was going to shoot him in the knee caps. I did come in a get my gun and when I went back out he took off like a pussy on fire..
I'm usually open carrying my 9mm when I have someone come to the house from craigslist..... saves time.

Just had one today. I'm selling a like-new 2013 Ford Transit with a wheelchair lift for a friend whose husband just died (he was a Vietnam Vet, got ALS from Agent Orange). They never got a chance to use it, so it only has 80 miles on it. It was $40k+ all in with the conversion. I have it listed on CL for $26k or best offer. I get a guy who calls me today and asks what I want for it. I tell him cash deal, $25k. He starts telling me I'm nuts, that I'll never get that and he'll give me $20k for it. I said I'll wait and see what happens and if I can't sell it in a few months, I'll give him a call. He tells me it'll be worth less then, it's not a classic car. I laughed at that and told him thanks, but don't call me, I'll call you.

Bawwhahaha! A 40 cal tends to be pretty persuasive. Sure does instantly flip a switch inside when you tell someone to leave your land and they refuse eh?

Wow Prop . . . you are brave . . . I will not even give them my address, I arrange to meet with them in the local shopping center parking lot ( lots of people around and well lit too ) as I have no reason for them to know where I live.

Be careful guys . . . I would like to keep you guys around and enjoy your tales for years to come ! ! !

Wow Prop . . . you are brave . . . I will not even give them my address, I arrange to meet with them in the local shopping center parking lot ( lots of people around and well lit too ) as I have no reason for them to know where I live.

Be careful guys . . . I would like to keep you guys around and enjoy your tales for years to come ! ! !

you do know that they will have your address once a deal is made regardless

I was selling 1/2 ton 98 ram, swb, 318, 2wd... had like 80,*** miles on it... but it'd been hit hard in the front and the rear end was shot.. like it sounded like the ring gear was missing a few teeth shot, but it had a good bed, sliding back glass, aluminum rims, and a good motor and trans (and still had the catalytic converter under it too). I was either going to scrap it (scrap was around $210/ton) or I figured I could sell it on CL as a non-driver in case someone wanted it for parts. So I put it on there for $500 stating the rear was toast, and I had several pictures of the front end damage.

I can't tell you how many people I got asking "Well how do you know the rear end's shot"

or "How much would it cost to fix the rear end"

between those and the "I'll give you $200 cash for it" over and over again before they even came to look at it

I replied to one of them that "Yeah? The scrap yard will give me a lot more than that"

I ended up selling the bed, back glass, and rear bumper... sold the cat seperate, kept the 318, and scrapped the rest and made about $800 total... not bad for a $75 truck :D

Most of the crap I get from CL is people who try and make an offer before then even come out to look.

That's exactly what I do 99% of the time. I will look at an item, and if I want it I'll contact the seller, tell them I would like to buy it, tell them what I'm willing to pay for it, and ask them to get back with me if my offer will work for them. I don't have time to go out and haggle with some seller who thinks their item is made of gold, or sees these selling for twice as much on ebay, or has had other people offering him much more, etc. I tell them what I'm willing to pay, and if they don't like the price I don't hear back, but more often than not they contact me and say I can come get it.

i have my harley up for sale on craigslist and cycle trader at the moment. its amazing the amount of scammers that have texted me. Then i also have some idiot company calling me, offering to help me sell my "vehicle" for the nominal fee of $200 dollars. And i should act now because its a in demand vehicle. its not a vehicle, its a damn motorcycle. i don't even think they read the ads, they just pluck the phone numbers off and call.

when i was selling my lawn mower, i put in the add cash only. no trades!! had some guy call and wanted to trade me and outboard engine that was "worth more than my mower". i told him when he sold his engine he could buy my mower and have cash left over. he got all pissed off at me... told me i don't know how to wheel and deal, i had to laugh. makes me not want to even sell anything anymore. i see why people just trade their cars in now a days.

90% of the calls I get on my C/L ads are scammers. Now they want to pay with PayPal without even looking at my what ever it is I'm selling. They always text me saying they will send payment and then have their driver come by and pick it up. Then once they have it I guess they will file a dispute with PP getting their money back. I just say come by with cash and we'll talk face to face. Never hear back from them.
I like them coming to my property then they have to deal with me and my gun on my terms.

Auto Transport Service
Back