• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist...flakes?

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Some of you know that I was going to put a 5.7 hemi in my 64' D200 CSS, but decided to go with a 440.

A buddy of mine gave a 440 block, and it measured at 4.375 and still needs to be honed. I don't know if it is still useable so I'm on the hunt.

So I run across an ad on Craigslist for a 440/trans and wants to trade for a 360/trans. I call, tell the I don't have a 360 and ask if would sell the 440/trans. He said he needs to trade cause he needs an engine/trans to go into a 74' Swinger. I tell him I have a 318/trans, he jumps on it, says he will trade.

Now I'm thinking, this is cool, he gets what he needs, I get get what I want. I pull the engine/trans out of my truck with the help of my buddy.

This guy shows up with th 440/trans, looks at mine, says lets trade, I look at his and say, why is the trans a short tails haft, when I asked you if it was a long tail shaft? His answer, "I grabbed the wrong one"! He say that he will go get the other trans and wants to take my stuff, and will come back today to drop off the trans.

I said that it would be better to come back with the correct trans and we can trade at that point cause we don't know each other. He agrees, I call this morning to see when he can be here, and I get this......."I cracked my ankle last night, was in the hospital all night and can't make it there"!

I have now have my engine out of the truck, can't use the truck now, and to top it off, he doesn't have a long tail trans.

I should have known something was up when he arrived in a Ford, lifted, rims/tires and squatting with that 440 in it.

So I suppose I could my stuff back in the truck, but I really don't want to have my only eye feel like it wants to pop out again like it did last night.

Rant over.......

I feel you. In the resto of my RR, I have used Craigslist amongst other sites to find parts for it. I have almost completely lost faith in all of humanity. There are so many people out there trying to scam you and hope that you don't know any better or won't realize it until it is too late and they have your money. Definitely good on you for not completely falling for his, oh I promise will be back tomorrow with the right one.

YEP !! Been there Done that !!
I went for a 3 hour drive to look at a 440 6 pack motor only to get there and walk through a feild to a barn so I could look at a 383 with a OLD two 4 intake on it ! When I said I may take it for a good price the guy said it had to be worth MORE than a 440 !?!?! I went on to fill me with his Wisdom to say the 440 motors are a Dump Truck based motor !? But he knew all this but didn't know the dif between that motor and a 383 !
I don't travel unless I get a pic first !
If its not Craigslist its E/bay with the OVER Priced parts !

Oh well, sh!t happens. I think I will just let the eng/trans sit for awhile, maybe til next weekend, and stuff it back in so can use it.

Boy that really sucks . . . all your work for naught . . . ARGHHHHH ! ! !

So, did the RANT help you to feel a "little better" . . . after all your hard work ? ? ( smile ) . . . frustrating . . . I know . . .

Saw a couple crate engines over here in the Charlotte area . . . long way from CA though . . .

After I kicked the cat a few times, I feel much better, lol! I'll find something for sure. A buddy in Tx. has a built short block that I'm gonna get, but between now and then, I wanted put a 440 in the truck and have it all sorted out for when he built short block gets here.

I drove 4 hours one time to pick up a Duster from Georgia. We spoke to the owner and he assured us it only needed minimal restoration and it had been sitting behind his barn for a long time. We arrived and took a walk through the woods behind the barn to find the car. Aside from the trees growing through the floor pans and the 2ft diameter inspection hole in the trunk lid, it was fairly complete. The main problem was the car was a 1968 Dart and not the 1972 duster he had a title for. Long story short we opted to come home with a empty trailer. This was quite some time ago and I believe the add was in the Coastal trading post. Every time I attempt to sell on Craigslist I get 1 serious buyer for every 10 people who call asking questions.

I'm dealing with a couple flakers right now, both said they were going to come pick up parts tonight at 4:30 and I have yet to see them. I had to rush home and everything and these dicks don't have the decency to at least tell me they will be late. If they don't show up Ill just let the forums know that they are a waste of time and I'll block their numbers so they won't be able to do business with me again.

Well the universe has a way uncorking it's head from its azz.....

A member on here posted a 383/trans for sale some time ago due to him swapping in a 5.7 hemi. We spoke and I totally forgot about it, my bad! Anyay, I get a call from this afternoon while working on my dads 70' Challenger, and come the end of the month, I'll have a 383/trans for my truck...also he's gonna deliver it, that's friggin awesome!!

So while he's down, I'm gonna show him my 5.7 hemi swap and give some pointers and answer any questions, so a win win for the both of us.

"Welcome to Craigslist!" I can safely say at least 80% of the people I've had dealings with on craigslist were either flakes, con-men, or just plain shady. And they say ebay is bad.. haha

Sorry to hear about your troubles though man, CL is hit-or-miss on the best of days. (In my area at least)

5.7 hemi glad to hear it's going to work out for you! Down with c/l it's very rare that the ads are legit anymore! Crooks seem to be using it now on unsuspecting people to rob them!

My biggest problem is all the south of the border people calling and can't speak my language or want to deal price on the phone without coming over to look at the stuff. If I'm asking 500, they ask right off if I'll take 200. Uh, no, if I wanted 200, that's what I'd advertise it for but if you want to haggle price, you need to be in front of me looking at the stuff and not trying to low ball me on the phone....click.

You guys must live in the shady states. :) The biggest problems I've had with CL have been on the selling side, and that's just been the scammers and they're fairly easy to spot once you start asking questions about what they want your parts for. As for buying, it's always buyer beware but I've only gotten one bad deal and that was for a 727 tranny I bought. It had come from a 69 Road Runner but someone had swapped the bell housing for a small block one. The tranny was good, just not for a big block, so I ended up having to resell it once I didn't need it anymore.

That would be me then. :) I bought my car, engine, transmissions, and plenty of parts off of CL. I also bought a Auto Meter tach and speedo using CL that I paid $50 for and just sold on ebay for $224, which is the last money I need to get my engine/tranny swap paid for.

I refer to Craigslist buyers as bottom feeders.
I've sold a lot of stuff on CL....not just car parts but I'm also in the estate sale business and so there's always something that's left over that didn't sell on site but lots of times it will on CL. Sometimes it's slow and sometimes I get calls almost as soon as I post it. Hey, bottom feeders have money too :D

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten stuff off of & sold items on Craigslist myself. But as a Craigslist seller, you have to put up with a lot of BS like......

people who say they'll show up to meet you but don't, those who are late, those who try to cut your price down substantially, and in general; a lot of morons and douche bags.

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten stuff off of & sold items on Craigslist myself. But as a Craigslist seller, you have to put up with a lot of BS like......

people who say they'll show up to meet you but don't, those who are late, those who try to cut your price down substantially, and in general; a lot of morons and douche bags.

You should try working at a car dealership, especially when you get one day off and some jagoff says he's coming in at noon to buy a car and then he either never shows up or shows up at 7:00 or so. Of having to deal with the joke of "no haggle" pricing, which means they can haggle with you but you can't haggle with them. :)

My favorite selling experiences were

1. Selling a Harwood fiberglass hood for a buddy, unpainted for $100...$450 new. Guy comments that it has light scratches in the gelcoat and offers $50...because clearly he's not getting a great deal to begin w/.

2. Selling the turbo kit off my Mustang, a guy calls and asks all these details, then at the end asks if it will fit his Factory Five Cobra. I know those kit Cobras are 'easy' to put together...but didn't know you could be a complete moron.

Everything else has been a good experience w/ really nice people.

Auto Transport Service
Back