• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crane cam id

Jason f_19

Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
can anyone help me with this cam? V-278-2-NC. 64-37-87
image.jpg

278/290 advertised
222/234 @ .050
467/494 with 1.5 rockers
114 lca
56 degrees overlap
good idle,daily performance use,mild bracket use,9.5 to 10.75 cr recommended 2200-5200 power range.

If I am wrong someone correct me.

very close to a summit 6104. i don't think there's any real practical difference between the two.

Catalogue number was HMV 278. I ran that in my first 400. It is a great street cam.

very close to a summit 6104. i don't think there's any real practical difference between the two.

dislexia - summit 6401.

I used a summit cam and lifter kit once - and it ate 3 lifters in the first 20 minutes of run in. Not a fan.

Went with Hughes and Hughes lifters the next time with their guarantee against wiping a lobe and had zero problems.

I installed a Summit K6401 cam and lifter set in my 440 broke it in properly and it ran just fine. There is nothing wrong with a summit cam. Just saying.

Good to hear. I am installing a Summit 6400 cam and lifter kit in my new 400.

Dont get me wrong it can happen. Wasn't cracking on ya. I had a Comp Cam wipe 5 lobes in no time flat. Most cams are made from one or 2 camshaft companies. In the future make sure every lifter has a crown and the cam has a taper. This was something I overlooked when installing the comp cam and well the rest is history. Its not you its the parts and luck.

Yes I had a MP cam wipe on break in, no fun. Both the Summit 6400 and 6401 are old school designs with slow ramps which can run lower spring pressures. Hopefully that makes them easier to break in. I am also having this engine broken in on the dyno, so that should give me the best possible chance.

Most of those shelf cams are cast and machined in Michigan by CMC or CWC.

And most are ground on cores made for a small Chevy lifter. The grinds are Chevy/Ford grinds.

If you want performance, good economy and a Mopar grind insist on a cam ground on a Mopar .904 lifter core.

Hughes sells them so does Howards , Crower, Comp etc.
But you have to specify it.

Auto Transport Service
Back