• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crappy K member welds

Started Project Overkill yesterday. The steering gear bracket is sturdy enough but there are two openings that I wanted to box in. The third steering gear bolt is off to the side with a large triangular opening below, that was boxed in as well.

Pictures? We gotta have them.

I'm glad you posted this, mine is the same way.

Anything made or welded in U.S.A. must be better than anything made or welded in China.

Pictures? We gotta have them.[/QUOTE]

Got 'em now, was having trouble uploading.

Nice work!

I welded all the edges of my K-Member, and then added one reinforcing plate for the steering box. Looks like you have added a little more that I did. However, I did not see if you welded all the edges. These were merely spot welded, so adding a bead around the edge is a good thing to do while you are there...

Hawk

Hey Hawk,
I'm going around the edges too - more pics will follow.

That K member is 40+ yrs old, probably has seen 250K miles of stresses and no broken welds so I'll say they are not crappy. They LOOK crappy but that was Detroit production back in the day. Really the only broken weld I have ever seen on a K member is that sleeve that supports the LCA shaft.

I can't remember how many K-members I have replaced (especially on A-bodies) where the welds which hold the lower control arm attachment point broke.

Great input from a lot of different perspectives. The general consensus is that yeah, the welds don't look the best, but the overwhelming majority of the time they do what they're supposed to do. I find it interesting that the weak point (if you want to call it that) may be the LCA pivot attachment points and not the steering box bracket or flange welds.

So maybe it's time to recalibrate my original post. Reinforcing the K member is more about reducing flex then preventing catastrophic failure. Rich Ehrenburg addressed the flexing issue in Dec 2011 MA and FF has since released a sector support kit. As Mopar rodders we're all about improving upon an already great product. Project Overkill is about upgrading my Coronet's handling and braking with HD suspension parts from PST, disc brake conversion kit from Dr. Diff and stiffening the K member. And it's gonna look cool too. :headbang:

Great input from a lot of different perspectives. The general consensus is that yeah, the welds don't look the best, but the overwhelming majority of the time they do what they're supposed to do. I find it interesting that the weak point (if you want to call it that) may be the LCA pivot attachment points and not the steering box bracket or flange welds.

So maybe it's time to recalibrate my original post. Reinforcing the K member is more about reducing flex then preventing catastrophic failure. Rich Ehrenburg addressed the flexing issue in Dec 2011 MA and FF has since released a sector support kit. As Mopar rodders we're all about improving upon an already great product. Project Overkill is about upgrading my Coronet's handling and braking with HD suspension parts from PST, disc brake conversion kit from Dr. Diff and stiffening the K member. And it's gonna look cool too. :headbang:

I added the sector support kit on my K member as well. If you are interested, check out post 169:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?65096-Hawk-Rod-The-Restoration/page9

I've been following your resto thread and I remember this post. Nice work on the LCA reinforcing plates. Awesome resto thread btw, it's been an influence on my build.

I trim off all the spot weld lips and then solid weld the whole K member and add bracing where needed but on one, I cut off all of the motor mount receivers because the car was going to use motor plates and manual steering. Got that K member down to 28 lbs from 42.....

I trim off all the spot weld lips and then solid weld the whole K member and add bracing where needed but on one, I cut off all of the motor mount receivers because the car was going to use motor plates and manual steering. Got that K member down to 28 lbs from 42.....
I'm going the other way - it'll probably weigh 50 lbs when all the welding is done.

Boxed in the driver's side engine mount bracket and went over seams that the factory missed.

IMG_1828.jpgIMG_1827.jpgIMG_1824.jpgIMG_1823.jpgIMG_1821.jpg

Welded in the LCA stiffening plates. I think I'm done now.IMG_1829.jpg

DONE??? No way ... it's time to get out the grinder, clean it up and make it pretty now. :D << duckin and runnin to hide behind Hawk >>

DONE??? No way ... it's time to get out the grinder, clean it up and make it pretty now. :D << duckin and runnin to hide behind Hawk >>

LOL Maybe he is going for factory originality??? :black_eye:

LOL!!!! I'm just teasin' ya doll. Any and all efforts to keep our beloved babies on the road are appreciated and are to be commended. Keep up the fine work!

Auto Transport Service
Back