• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CRUISIN' THE COAST 2020 Mississippi Gulf Coast..Hurricane DELTA gone, IT'S ON! Saturday 10/10!

I’m guessing we haven’t heard the end of this saga. Hopefully I’m wrong!
No, you are right..:(
I thought, the fan manufacturer thought, my best friend and Mopar brother thought, that with such a significant find of a major ground, that being the small gauge battery ground wire termination not having ANY wires in the termination loop that had several other circuits "ground" there, SURELY that MUST be the problem, and I stripped, crimped, and soldered the battery ground wire to a new loop termination, sanded all the others, added a lock washer and washer, made damn sure the "sandwich" of nut, termination loops, washer, lock washer and nut was tight, and then added a drop of blue lock time.
I didn't make it as far this time as yesterday, which wasn't as far as the day/night I picked up my Roadrunner.
So I smell the fan motor burning, I know the 200A breaker is going to trip and cut power to the whole car, so I was able to pull on to the shoulder of the Interstate.
I disconnected the 2 fan power leads coming from the 200A breaker output, and stayed on a route that would keep my speed at 45 MPH or higher, and the air flow kept the cooling system temperature in range.
I don't know what to do...
I want to try the 2x 12" fans I have IF they will fit between the radiator and the Wraptor. If so, then I have to find a way to mount them on the radiator. They would be powered independently, one relay out to one, one relay out to the other, and change the Dakota Digital PAC-2800BT electronic fan control module from "two" to dual (I think) The nice thing about the DD module is you can test the fan on/off function in the app to make sure they come on when you want them to.
I'd hate to burn both of them up too though. I guess I'll be sure that there's no way to mount a mechanical fan first, but I really don't think I can.
Again, the fan works GREAT, until it doesn't...
:nutkick::wtf::monkeyleft:ME:bananadance:

damn....hit autozone and wire up a relay and toss a manual switch in there

start fresh with no computer/sensor control - not sure if it had any

keeping you in prayers :praying:

watermelon

Sorry to hear of your troubles Brother, hope you get it all solved.As it turned out last year, I had to cancel due to family issues then the Wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer ( all is EXTREMELY well now!). I took the GTX to the local track after I had to cancel but if I had come my car would have been on the truck with Dennis's car. On the way home from the track about a block from home, and AFTER having made several runs at the track (13.7!) I hear a clunk but thought I hit a hole. I put her in the garage and two days later opened the door and was looking from the sidewalk which is slightly below garage level.. Turned out one shock mount bolt broke INSIDE the threaded female end and the other was damn near there. Ended up buying case hardened bolts and fabricating heavy brackets to prevent re-occurring. That WOULD have happened down at the Cruise and I would have been right with Dennis looking for someone to do it !!!!

I moved my wraptor in towards the engine for more clearance for the fan.
Since I didn't install it, I am mystified how you could do that, because of the crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, etc. I don't understand how you "shortened" them?

hit autozone and wire up a relay and toss a manual switch in there
I appreciate the advice, but honestly I don't see how the extremely low voltage "on/off" signal to open or close the relays could cause this problem?

Not to ask a question outside of your fan trouble but.
What is the circled plug on the alternator for. My "chevy style" one wire alternator doesn't have this plug. Is this the voltage regulator?

IMG_5374.JPG

First, to be clear, I do not profess to know the cause. But in the spirit of brainstorming, here are a couple of thoughts, in no particular order...
  1. The only wiring issue I might consider are bad grounds. But that would cause issues with the wiring or other components more so than the fan motor itself. I don't place wiring issues high on the list. Having said that, I would check all connections carefully. It sounds like you have already done that. Also be sure you have a good engine to body ground.
  2. The fan motor burning out is indicative of either too high a load on the motor, too much heat for the motor, or incorrect voltage for the motor. Based on those ideas, here are some considerations:
  • Is the fan blowing air the correct direction? If this is the case, at speed, this could cause a very high load on the fan motor.
  • At high load (e.g. with the high beams on and other stuff on plus the fans), could your power be insufficient so you are dropping well below the needed voltage for the fans? This could cause the motor to overheat.
  • Is there too much heat in the engine compartment for the fan motor?
  • Overrevving the motor. Could the high speed be too much for the motor? Try disconnecting the high speed only and see if you have better results
Again, I am not claiming any of the above are the answer, just trying to help via some brainstorming.

Good luck,

Hawk

GEESH!!
HURRICANE DELTA!??!
So this morning I'm going to pull the radiator and fan+shroud assembly out, because they have to come out together.
I'm going to see if I have ANY other fan options. Last night it looked like the 2x 12" fans I have would fit, but I would have to concoct a way to mount them.
I don't think any mechanical fan can fit.
My wife suggested I could "go shopping with her, her mom, and her niece" in and around the Cruisin the Coast activities...
I may as well burn my "man card" and this scene comes to mind....

and then there's Hurricane Delta!! The middle of the spaghetti models is, once again, a direct hit on my house. So far, I haven't had anything worse than a flooded yard, and I've been in the bullseye a few times, but certainly it's going to affect the events.

1. The only wiring issue I might consider are bad grounds. But that would cause issues with the wiring or other components more so than the fan motor itself. I don't place wiring issues high on the list. Having said that, I would check all connections carefully. It sounds like you have already done that. Also be sure you have a good engine to body ground.
  2. The fan motor burning out is indicative of either too high a load on the motor, too much heat for the motor, or incorrect voltage for the motor. Based on those ideas, here are some considerations:
  • Is the fan blowing air the correct direction? If this is the case, at speed, this could cause a very high load on the fan motor.
  • At high load (e.g. with the high beams on and other stuff on plus the fans), could your power be insufficient so you are dropping well below the needed voltage for the fans? This could cause the motor to overheat.
  • Is there too much heat in the engine compartment for the fan motor?
  • Overrevving the motor. Could the high speed be too much for the motor? Try disconnecting the high speed only and see if you have better results

Good luck,

Hawk
Thanks Hawk
2 out of 3 "fan motor burning" events occurred with no electrical systems running other than the ignition system, the Dakota Digital gauges and module (which is a very light load) and the radiator fan. In fact, the fan motors are burning out in a shorter time frame as the process has evolved.
Underhood heat isn't a problem.
The fan is turning in the correct direction.
I did cut power to the fan on the highway that first night, for a span of time, but I've done that since then, and the manufacturer knows that I ran it powered on on the highway.
There isn't any consistent factor that I can identify with the failure. I'm fresh out of fan motors, and I am going to do something different today, I just don't know what yet.

Not to ask a question outside of your fan trouble but.
What is the circled plug on the alternator for. My "chevy style" one wire alternator doesn't have this plug. Is this the voltage regulator?

View attachment 1010832
From CVF tech:
Our alternators are modeled after a CS130 style which was a GM standard in the late 80s and early 90s.
The plug is what would have been there from the factory. With our alternators being self exciting and internally regulated, the alternator will operate without anything plugged into the port.

Hey, thank you all for your comments, advice, suggestions, support, and offers of help.
I took the radiator and fan/shroud out this morning, and removed the fan/shroud. I grabbed the 2x 12" electric fans from another aluminum shroud (for the GTO, that won't fit my radiator in any way) and I saw that I could mount them side by side on my radiator. The 4 mounting holes in the frame of each fan line up with the vertical rows of cooling fins in between the water passages. In my mind I thought about punching 8 holes through the cooling fins for 8 long bolts to go through....
I'll stop there...
The fans don't have much clearance thickness wise between the ring that spins at the edges of the blades and the frame, so if the fan frame was tweaked out of perfectly flat or round, it would bind and burn up. Although they would only get 12 VDC each, instead of 12+12 in high speed mode like the 17" fan, I still don't know why the other fan motors (3) burned up, and the manufacturer, the shop that installed everything, and the vendor (who wasn't ANY help) well I haven't heard from ANY of them since I lost the 3rd fan motor yesterday evening after correcting the bad battery ground.
I already have a RMA for the 2x 12" fans and shroud, and I don't think the manufacturer will give me ANY money back nor replace the fan motor at no charge for the 17" fan. I also have a 16" fan from the same manufacturer and vendor, that I may try on the GTO once I get the water pump set up properly.
Anyway, I ordered a 1/2" adapter (only size made) from CVF Wraptor that allows a mechanical fan to mount to the water pump pulley. I also got a 1" and 1½" spacer along with a very thin depth 17" diameter flex fan from Jegs, and all of that will be delivered tomorrow. So after I go with my wife in her GTO to an early morning (dawn) into the afternoon event at Cruisin the Coast tomorrow, I will see if I can fit the flex fan between the Wraptor and the radiator.
If it works and Hurricane Delta doesn't make the Mopar show Thursday cancel, I can go do that. I also may need to get the Roadrunner out and away from my house depending on the weather, or maybe just up on my driveway ramp, to keep it from flooding.
What a CF.
My mechanic said he would take my car back in to resolve the clutch not disengaging enough to keep the input shaft from spinning.
God knows I spent a fortune and a lot of time trying to get my car ready for CtC this year. So close...
Here's the fan:
Screenshot_20201006-111739_Outlook.jpg

At least it matches the Wraptor and my valve covers in appearance.
I really hope it works.
The 17" electric fan was great when it worked. I may reinstall it if I definitely know what was wrong and it can be resolved. If the flex fan works, I may just go ahead and keep it on, because I know it won't fail.

Since I didn't install it, I am mystified how you could do that, because of the crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, etc. I don't understand how you "shortened" them?
I chucked the spacers in my lathe and shortened them. Even the large one on the lower pulley. You have to get a water pump pulley with a deeper back space.

I hope the flex fan works out for you,and the weather misses you. :praying:

I hope the flex fan works out for you,and the weather misses you. :praying:
I appreciate it.
I actually did pretty well today so far, seeing people I know from this and/or other car events each year, but when I hear a lumpy cam and open headers, my stomach gets twisted, and I so much want to have my Roadrunner here.
Here's a few pix from today.
My Roadrunner, sadly having to be left behind..:(
20201006_114402.jpg
20201006_114414.jpg
20201006_114452.jpg

Bricklayer, the first pic I took getting close to CtC. This car is a "regular" attendee.
20201006_124318.jpg

Some of these are taken from my "other" Mopar, Dodge Caravan
20201006_124757(0).jpg

20201006_125535.jpg
20201006_130821.jpg
20201006_131017.jpg

Quite a few more pix coming up, taken from Cruise Central, from outside of my van...lol.

FYI (For Y'alls Information) broadly speaking, Cruisin the Coast is the "first" week or so in October, every year.
Last week is typically the kind of weather we get for CtC, and out of the last 6 years I'd say 4 were completely without rain, not a drop, for the entire week. Cool/Cold fronts come through, maybe more than one, leaving crisp, cool, clear, dry WONDERFUL weather. THIS week WAS looking like a beautiful repeat of last, and what we typically have, and then...

Hurricane Delta...

Considering some of the crappy issues I've been dealing with, successful "enough" for Cruisin the Coast at least regarding the GTO, and hoping for a miracle (prayers welcome) to be able to finally get my Roadrunner roadworthy enough to at least be able to go cruising.
I only need the mechanical fan to fit in the 3" space I have, not kiss the radiator, and I think I'm good for now. I already got a commitment from the shop owner who worked on my car to resolve the hydraulic throwout bearing, new dual disc clutch, or whatever is keeping the input shaft spinning enough to make it hard to shift gears.
Anyway, here's some more pictures:
20201006_131857.jpg

20201006_132049.jpg
20201006_132158.jpg
20201006_132348.jpg
20201006_132359.jpg
20201006_133037.jpg
20201006_194423.jpg

This beauty deserves a new post. Gen 3 Hemi, Magnuson supercharger.....
SIX SPEED :lowdown:MANUAL:bananadance: Tremec T-56
You can read the storyboard for details.
I caught the crew/owner later loading it on a trailer to take to another location as it is a featured car (and deservedly so).
Anyway, myself being a THREE PEDAL proponent, I asked how much power it put out, because of the 700 Ft Lb rating of my Passon a855 five speed, and my self imposed limit/target of 700 Ft Lbs torque for the BMP aluminum stroker I have in the works. He said around 490 HP at the rear wheels, but it's not "dialed in" meaning there's room for more tuning. No mods to the T56 or the gears.
AWESOME car!
20201006_133730.jpg
20201006_133739.jpg
20201006_133749.jpg
20201006_133759.jpg
20201006_133805.jpg
20201006_134315.jpg
20201006_134320.jpg
20201006_134226.jpg

Old antique Dodge with a DODGE ENGINE!! Not "just" a Dodge mill, but a 6.1 Gen III Hemi...supercharged!
:thumbsup:
20201006_141551.jpg
20201006_141558.jpg

My wife's GTO
20201006_143229.jpg
20201006_143306.jpg
20201006_143353.jpg
20201006_143417.jpg
20201006_143753.jpg
20201006_144548.jpg

Thanks for posting, keep 'em coming for us poor schmucks who couldn't be there.

I'll keep an eye out. Was planning to drive my 59 Cadillac down there with some friends but looks like a lot of rain. Hmmm
Go to Ventusky.com no or very little rain showing through Sunday!

Auto Transport Service
Back