• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cryin in Hawaii

Markie

Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Not because of the great weather but because of strong gas fumes coming from my exhaust on my 69 440 charger. Found no gas leaks but I did find filler tube vent plugged.
Could this be the problem?

I'm confused, strong gas fumes coming from your exhaust? Is it exhaust your smelling or gas, 2 totally different things. I don't think your vent tube being plugged would cause either anyways. The gas filler tube itself will vent, the vent tube allows pressure to escape while filling the tank. If it's a gasoline smell and you can't find any leaks I'd start by checking the boot that seals the filler neck to the trunk floor, if it's coming in from there then you'll also need to check the tank grommet.

freezing rain here, :(... sure miss that place lived out there in the 80"s been back once in 2009 when i got married. good luck on finding the vapor leak. post some pics of that charger with some good scenery in the back ground, make us real jealous :poke:. happy new year!

My wagon used to get a bad smell from gas fumes and I thought it was the fill neck gasket so replaced that...nope still smelling like gas...then by chance I put the gas cap on 180* from where I usually did....yup that solved my problem. Not sure why it would allow fumes by one way and not the other but it stopped the fumes so I was happy.

Is this when running only? If I had gas fumes coming out my exhaust, I think I'd take a look down the carb throttle bores for a flooding condition. Also check the oil level and smell it for gas as well.

I've seen a couple times when people were chasing raw gas fume smell, they finally found it along with rust perforation under their fuel tank pad.

I had a lot of gas fumes coming from my 55. I took advantage of the situation and drove the communities I didnt like. :).

Auto Transport Service
Back