• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Grind or Off the Shelf

I/E ratio is poor on 516 heads, if any mopar BB head needs a bigger then usual split with more duration on the exhaust it's a 516. Also 516s pocket ported flow decent yet at .5 lift. I would relay both to Tim.
If it were mine I would look at at bullet hc273/330 on the intake. It's about 220 @ .050 and .491 lift.
With exhaust manifolds I think I would do 110 lsa. Some do a narrower Lsa to overcome exhaust manifolds flow by bringing the power in sooner, with 9.7 I think it will be more pump gas friendly at 110 then 108. Probably low 230s and less then .5 lift for the exhaust. It will be interesting to see what gets recommended. IMO [email protected] jones is a better fit at for a 9-9.3:1 383 with a stock converter and a heavy car. Probably a good cam...does not sound like a cam for 9.7:1 with a mild convertor and drag radials.:steering:

Last edited:
I/E ratio is poor on 516 heads, if any mopar BB head needs a bigger then usual split with more duration on the exhaust it's a 516. Also 516s pocket ported flow decent yet at .5 lift. I would relay both to Tim.
If it were mine I would look at at bullet hc273/330 on the intake. It's about 220 @ .050 and .491 lift.
With exhaust manifolds I think I would do 110 lsa. Some do a narrower Lsa to overcome exhaust manifolds flow by bringing the power in sooner, with 9.7 I think it will be more pump gas friendly at 110 then 108. Probably low 230s and less then .5 lift for the exhaust. It will be interesting to see what gets recommended. IMO [email protected] jones is a better fit at for a 9-9.3:1 383 with a stock converter and a heavy car. Probably a good cam...does not sound like a cam for 9.7:1 with a mild convertor and drag radials.:steering:
I submitted a spec sheet to Bullet before I saw your comment but I’ll post their specs anyway. I would want to talk to him before/if I buy from them and could let him know then. Thanks.

Mike is pretty good about picking cams
he said 264-272 208-218 299-.305 on 110
unfortunatly if his 256 would give too much pressue he has no good place to go except for HR or Roller
an HR could give 264-269 218 222 139-138@200 .316-.328 lobe lift ex
same seat but gets 10 degrees bigger even by .050
if you needed more split use the next size bigger ex or his other seriies

but wait
Howard 711651
265-273 218-226 . 138-147 @200 .335-..350 502.525 w 1.5 on 110

Lunati 10200702
265-271 220-226 475-.494 112 you can look at their lobe catalog or call and find the .200

Got an email from Tim Goolsby at Bullet...
Grind# CRB-3 275 282H108+4
230/234 @.050
.488 I .503 E w/1.5
108 LSA 104 intake centerline

Spoke with Jim at Racer Brown the other day, he said wants to think about this some more and will get back to me but did say he doesn’t recommend a split duration - don’t hold the ex. valve open longer w/ exhaust manifolds, and probably 110 or 108 LSA but not 112 (because of the 383’s short stroke iirc) We’ll see what he comes up with...

Funny, Funny, Funny stuff. This made me revisit my first post, post #2.

So now you have 2 custom cam recommendations from some of the best in the industry, and they are essentially 4 cam sizes apart from each other.

Wouldn't you say that what you've learned so far actually answers your original question?

A reasonably and logically chosen cam out of just about anyone's cam catalog will be better than the two custom cams that have been recommended.

Also, you need to ask yourself, why did these two guys give you such drastically different recommendations?

RE Racer Brown
several ways to look at split duration
one is you have correct intake for the rev range you want to run and you want to stretch after the hp max u are making the exhaust longer
another is you need to shorten the intake for more DCA but do not want to give up top end U are making the intake shorter
on my stock manifold build I have a 10 degree split with a 112 in a 440 with HP exhaust and 2 1/2 duals with X
however the exhaust is an exhaust lobe not just a larger universal lobe

With a cam as large as the Bullet I sort of agree with Racer Brown the rev range would be much higher than Mikes choice or the Howards
Let's see what Jim says
here we have the 516 exhaust which is not going to flow what my ported 915's do

Usually custom trumps catalog
but here it looks like the Howard fits
We used to use the Crower 271HDP in manifold applications, it worked good but not in catalog anymore and I forget the specs

What exhaust manifolds are you running in your 383 baracuda?
Racer brown is certainly not wrong if the manifolds are a big restriction??? i.e. logs or the factory BB A body manifold. Imo 516s exhaust need some help with more duration, I am not sure that 230s is really going to much exhaust duration for the manifolds...but it may not help either. My experience is more w headers and I am still learning on how to make the manifolds work.
Wyrmrider did a excellent job describing what the changing the exhaust does.
The cam I mentioned is pretty close to Tim's other then the .050 intake spec. The profile he is using is off the seat way quicker. Post #21 I mentioned using a 273 on 110, tim recommended a 275 on 108. +4 Tim is likely using that to work with the lobe profile if its assymetric.
I agree a well designed custom will be better typically. Imo..the bullet would be a good cam. I'd be worried about running on pump gas much smaller on the intake. I would do a custom Bullet cam every time if it was in the budget. Lol, the budget often gets blown to hell anway.

Funny, Funny, Funny stuff. This made me revisit my first post, post #2.

So now you have 2 custom cam recommendations from some of the best in the industry, and they are essentially 4 cam sizes apart from each other.

Wouldn't you say that what you've learned so far actually answers your original question?

A reasonably and logically chosen cam out of just about anyone's cam catalog will be better than the two custom cams that have been recommended.

Also, you need to ask yourself, why did these two guys give you such drastically different recommendations?
Lol yes I did remember your original post when I read Tim’s rec. and yeah, I am a little surprised that they are so far apart.

RE Racer Brown
several ways to look at split duration
one is you have correct intake for the rev range you want to run and you want to stretch after the hp max u are making the exhaust longer
another is you need to shorten the intake for more DCA but do not want to give up top end U are making the intake shorter
on my stock manifold build I have a 10 degree split with a 112 in a 440 with HP exhaust and 2 1/2 duals with X
however the exhaust is an exhaust lobe not just a larger universal lobe

With a cam as large as the Bullet I sort of agree with Racer Brown the rev range would be much higher than Mikes choice or the Howards
Let's see what Jim says
here we have the 516 exhaust which is not going to flow what my ported 915's do

Usually custom trumps catalog
but here it looks like the Howard fits
We used to use the Crower 271HDP in manifold applications, it worked good but not in catalog anymore and I forget the specs
There is a Crower 271/284 112 ‘Compu-Pro’ but I don’t see HDP anywhere on it.It’s #32242

What exhaust manifolds are you running in your 383 baracuda?
Racer brown is certainly not wrong if the manifolds are a big restriction??? i.e. logs or the factory BB A body manifold. Imo 516s exhaust need some help with more duration, I am not sure that 230s is really going to much exhaust duration for the manifolds...but it may not help either. My experience is more w headers and I am still learning on how to make the manifolds work.
Wyrmrider did a excellent job describing what the changing the exhaust does.
The cam I mentioned is pretty close to Tim's other then the .050 intake spec. The profile he is using is off the seat way quicker. Post #21 I mentioned using a 273 on 110, tim recommended a 275 on 108. +4 Tim is likely using that to work with the lobe profile if its assymetric.
I agree a well designed custom will be better typically. Imo..the bullet would be a good cam. I'd be worried about running on pump gas much smaller on the intake. I would do a custom Bullet cam every time if it was in the budget. Lol, the budget often gets blown to hell anway.
The right side is an original A body manifold, the left is a modified C body HP with a straighter exit. The Bullet cam is $252, about the same as Jones. Bets that Jim’s cam specs will fall in between the other two? lol

I't s not just the stroke it's also the rod length
much better rod ration than a SBC or BBC
the longer rod has more dwell around TDC so you do not squeeze the LCA like you do with a chevy
especially with stock manifolds
no 108 with me
the overlap would give reversion till it got way wound up

forget .050 all the cams we are talking about use seat to seat @.006
except racer brown at .008 so that has to be adjusted ask him about conversion to .006 or just add 6-8 degrees (depends on how quick the cams are- the Howard is quick, MP average , stock really slow Bullet has both so IDK
and Crower may use .005 Crower also (as do others) mix their .842 lobes with their .904 lobes and it takes some digging
At least howard has a 15 in the comments column and all the VOODOO lobes are .904 MOPAR lobes
Bullet has both and one would have to compare the recommendation with their lobe list, even then you can't tell a street truck lobe from a trail race lobe
but not a good idea to buy from the bottom of the list on your own EVER

Last edited:
I work on Mopars with Curiousyellow71, so we have the same projects, and obviously run quite a few Bullet cams.

I come up with 62.5* of overlap, the intensity from .006 to .050 is 45* with that Bullet cam on 108. If that is a asymmetrical grind that will act like it has less overlap than that. But with the manifolds and a 2500 stall that is plenty of overlap for this. Imho

Less overlap with the same intake closing and exhaust opening will push the LSA out wider and a makes the cam use a slightly smaller profile. That will end up looking close to the specs of a Lunati 703 cam. The intake closing event and exhaust opening are close to the same and that Bullet 108 cam and the 703 Lunati has a 006 of 271*/279*). The power band will be similar, but the Lunati has 55* of overlap instead of 62.5*. Personally I think 55* is enough on a 383 with 9.7 scr and manifolds and the 2500 stall. The 62.5* is just giving it a snotty idle, and without some headers the extra overlap might not gain much, especially with the 2500 converter at the track. I think the Bullet cam as Tim has might want a 3000 stall at the track. I would look at the Lunati 703 or have Bullet alter the cam a bit.

FWIW. Jones cam looks to small for a car going to the track some.

Last edited:
..... "saying 2 cams look the same is like saying all 120lb blonds look the same"..Lol

Probably true, but many pretend that there is some super technical and scientific magic going on a only three people in the world are smart enough to pick the right cam for 99% of the street guys.

It's gotten kinda dumb on how critical some folks make cam selection out to be, IMO. There are probably 25 catalog cams out there that will be plus/minus 5 HP from the perfect cam for the OP. But we'll talk about it and debate it until the cows come home, meanwhile nobody track tunes their car's and leave 30 HP on the table.

...I think that quote probably helped brookshire sell a few cams.
I think your right..some cam changes maybe you gain a fender in the quarter others only a bumper...yet the 5 car links or more are left in the rest set up.

At 9.7 scr with the restrictive manifolds the engine likely has enough compression and residual heat for preignition to eliminate tons of the streetable pump gas shelf cams. I agree there are some shelf cams that would work fine in here though.

That Crower cam that was posted appears to me to be a mopar specific .904” lifter cam. I assume it is symmetric like a lot of there flat tappet cams, that style cam seems to like a little wider lsa compared to one of Brookshire’s cams. I think it would work ok, I kind of like a size bigger cam and use a Brookshire cam though, a fender length for a win is still a win :).

Last edited:
Probably true, but many pretend that there is some super technical and scientific magic going on a only three people in the world are smart enough to pick the right cam for 99% of the street guys.

It's gotten kinda dumb on how critical some folks make cam selection out to be, IMO. There are probably 25 catalog cams out there that will be plus/minus 5 HP from the perfect cam for the OP. But we'll talk about it and debate it until the cows come home, meanwhile nobody track tunes their car's and leave 30 HP on the table.
I’m trying not to be one of those guys you describe, which is why I posed the question in the first place. I appreciate everyone’s input and in the end I’ll have learned something. Maybe that something will be... don’t bother with a custom grind until you understand cams better. That would be fine too.

I've used the Howards 224-234 112 lsa with very good results, You would be very happy with it. Makes good vacum great midrange as well. Compared to the 200 226 voodoo, the howards is better

Auto Transport Service
Back