• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Sized Fiberglass Hood Scoop

oxytousc

Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score
So, I had my hood modified to accept a scoop of what seems to be odd dimensions. The bolt holes are 30” on center at the front and 24” on center at the rear. It’s roughly 24-26” front to back.

Long story short. I bought a scoop when I started the project years ago. Through a variety of house moves and such, the scoop got lost. I’m wondering if anyone has a recommendation for someone who could fabricate a scoop that’ll fit. I don’t have the skills. To say I feel like a total idiot would be an understatement. I should’ve just installed it at the time. But here I am

61EA1765-8BB5-4B81-8DCF-C464F21265C4.jpeg

What model of car you applying the scoop to ?

Likely either a superstock hemi scoop, or a Sixpack.
Call the fiberglass companies.
Has that thing got EIGHT stud holes?!?

73 Roadrunner. I like the look better than the power bulge
You liked the look of what, exactly? If you know what the scoop looked like enough to buy
it, why not buy another just like it?

superstock hemi scoop
That's what I was thinking. I have one that is mounted on a 73 Satty hood from the days before me when the car was used for racing only. There were or maybe still are, two methods of affixing a plastic or fiberglass scoop to a hood. One had bolts or molded in threads similar to what you have drilled and the other had a flange that you drilled through and pop riveted or screwed down. I am at work presently and have to work overtime tomorrow but I will take a look at that hood & let you know what the measurements are if you are interested. I am sporting a factory power bulge. Pictures below.

DSCF0145.JPG
DSCF0146.JPG

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. I have one that is mounted on a 73 Satty hood from the days before me when the car was used for racing only. There were or maybe still are, two methods of affixing a plastic or fiberglass scoop to a hood. One had bolts or molded in threads similar to what you have drilled and the other had a flange that you drilled through and pop riveted or screwed down. I am at work presently and have to work overtime tomorrow but I will take a look at that hood & let you know what the measurements are if you are interested. I am sporting a factory power bulge. Pictures below.

View attachment 1347341View attachment 1347342
Awesome. Yea. That looks very close to what I had. It’s just the dimensions that are screwie to me.

The more I look at your hole pattern, I'm sure that is a 68 hemi Barracuda scoop shape. They were very wide at the front, with a couple studs to hold them down, and tapered to a narrower width , and shorter height at the rear.
If I were you, considering you are in L.A., I would check out unlimited products, in Hesperia. They have a SC102 which is the hemi scoop with an external flange, $75, and SC1023, same scoop,with internal flange. $130.(Dimensions available on website)
The reason I suggest them..... you could drive there, inspect the part, avoid the dangers and expense of shipping.
Their rep is not good, but there was a change of ownership since most of the complaints, and quality is supposed to be better, ...... but I would still drive, and inspect. (but then, I'm about 40 miles closer than you are).

I fabricated this scoop from an old hood skin. That gave me the OEM ridge. It was quite easy to cut and bend. My body guy glued the scoop to the hood with panel adhesive.
Mike
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1768.JPG
IMG_1755.JPG

You could try Larry, at Sled City Fiberglass. He's got a lot of inventory, and I believe he creates modified version's also ?

The more I look at your hole pattern, I'm sure that is a 68 hemi Barracuda scoop shape. They were very wide at the front, with a couple studs to hold them down, and tapered to a narrower width , and shorter height at the rear.
If I were you, considering you are in L.A., I would check out unlimited products, in Hesperia. They have a SC102 which is the hemi scoop with an external flange, $75, and SC1023, same scoop,with internal flange. $130.(Dimensions available on website)
The reason I suggest them..... you could drive there, inspect the part, avoid the dangers and expense of shipping.
Their rep is not good, but there was a change of ownership since most of the complaints, and quality is supposed to be better, ...... but I would still drive, and inspect. (but then, I'm about 40 miles closer than you are).

Awesome suggestion. I go out there to hunt, so that’d work out perfectly!

This is what I think it is. Measurements are closest I can find. I bought it on eBay 12 years ago and of course can’t find any emails about it. Scoop, Barracuda/Dart, 1967-1976, Hemi – AAR Quality Fiberglass

I bought my MW scoop from AAR years ago, at Carlisle, and was happy with it. I know they changed their name, maybe to Stinger Fiberglass ? Maybe someone will chime in on this ? They may be out of Florida now ?
Yea. They still use AAR. In flordia

Auto Transport Service
Back