• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cylinder or valve?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
5D2C52E8-494E-4370-88EF-0537D29C2F1F.jpeg
I was on Power Tour last week and got caught in a slow moving 1 hour traffic jam and the passenger side tail pipe started blue smoking while idling. It never did it again over the 4 days. As you can see, the number 4 plug (2nd from bottom left) is the culprit. How can I test to see if it was the valve guide or the cylinder?

You sure it isnt the valley pan leaking a little? Those can be tricky to seal.

You sure it isnt the valley pan leaking a little? Those can be tricky to seal.
I have a ‘78 360. I don’t think there is a valley pan, just an air gap intake. Could be intake Runner too I guess?

That whole side of the motor looks a little oily.....intake seal would be my first guess. What are the odds of 4 valve guides, 4 valve seals or 4 sets of piston rings being bad at the same time & all on the same side of the motor???

That whole side of the motor looks a little oily.....intake seal would be my first guess. What are the odds of 4 valve guides, 4 valve seals or 4 sets of piston rings being bad at the same time & all on the same side of the motor???
I checked my intake bolts and there was a very loose bolt on the oily spark plug’s intake Runner. I think that’s it. Note the right plugs had chrome bases and left all had black so they look darker.

I checked my intake bolts and there was a very loose bolt on the oily spark plug’s intake Runner. I think that’s it. Note the right plugs had chrome bases and left all had black so they look darker.
Sweet! I hope that solves the problem, but at the very worst it would be just an intake gasket replacement.....good news for sure!

Auto Transport Service
Back