• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dakota Digital RTX instrument cluster - installed!

Onecarnut

Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my recent installation of the new Dakota Digital RTX cluster in my 1968 Plymouth Satellite. First off, I am not a mechanic, so it took me a few days to get it all done, but I took my time and cleaned up stuff along the way and got it finished to my standards. If I had to do it all over again with the knowledge I have now, I would say I could probably knock it out in about 4 hours.

Step one: Remove everything from the box and identify all of the parts.
IMG_3355.jpg

Step two: Remove the existing oil pressure sensor located on the top rear of the engine (440). This was a GIANT PITA since it is nearly impossible to reach, let alone get a wrench back there. After about 2 hours and several cuss words, I finally got the old one out.

Step Three: (what I did) Attach the new oil pressure sensor to a 4" brass rod so you can easily get to it in the future. Screw-in and push wire through the firewall.
IMG_3377.jpg

Step four: Remove the existing water temp sensor and install the new one. Word of advice: use Teflon tape, or you could have a leak as I did. Run wire neatly back through the firewall.
IMG_3362.jpg

Step five: jack the car up, remove the speedometer cable, replace it with the new sensor, and run wire through the firewall. My cable runs close to the headers, so I wrapped it with fiberglass heat shielding.
IMG_3416.jpg

Step six: Remove the lower dash pad and switch panel. If you've never done this before, prepare yourself for a challenge. There are six dash pad screws; some are very difficult to reach. Be careful removing the switch connectors - you don't want to rip any old wires out of the connectors and take pictures, so you know how they go back.

Step seven: Unscrew the cluster to pull it out and CAREFULLY unplug the main harness, then unscrew the power and negative cables. 3 of the harness pins broke off the circuit board as I removed mine (oops).
IMG_3396.jpg

Step eight: End-cap the pos and neg dash cable and begin inspecting and identifying the wires you will need to tap into. I used T-connectors, which seemed to work pretty well for me but do whatever you prefer.
IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

Step nine: Take your time to neatly loom and run your wires to where you will mount the brain box. I chose to use heavy-duty Velcro and stick to the underside of the radio.

Step ten: Connect all your wires and sensors to the brain box and securely mount to your desired location.
IMG_3438.jpg

Step eleven: Mount the new cluster, switch and alarm buzzer and test everything out before putting the dash back together.

Step twelve: Drive the car for one mile to calibrate the speedo.

I'm sure I missed a step or two, but hopefully, this is enough information to give you the confidence to take it on. Like I mentioned at the begging of the post, I am not a mechanic, so anyone with some ability can do it. I can't express enough how happy I am that I did this. The technology and ease of installation are truly remarkable, and it looks incredible too. People balk at the $1500 price tag, but it was worth every penny if you ask me it.

IMG_3524.jpg

Cool, First one I have ever seen. Does that have GPS Speedometer?

Thank you. Great job and great procedure to follow.
My question is cost. I see $1500 and assume that's the total.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of people building their own instrument panels. Turned me off as a buyer even if the rest of the car was perfect. But these Dakota Digital people, they found the recipe. Follow what the factory did, keep the same layout, but improve everything that needs improving. Freakin awesome. I bet it is 100% superior to the factory unit after dark.
What was the total cost?

That's really nice. Dakota Digital is the way to go.
Does your package have an ammeter or voltmeter?

I am not a fan of people building their own instrument panels. Turned me off as a buyer even if the rest of the car was perfect. But these Dakota Digital people, they found the recipe. Follow what the factory did, keep the same layout, but improve everything that needs improving. Freakin awesome. I bet it is 100% superior to the factory unit after dark.
What was the total cost?
The unit cost $1500 and then all I had to do is buy some colored wiring and that 4" brass tube. It comes with everything you need!

What was the total cost?
I spent about $30 in misc parts, so pretty close to $1500 all-in.

That does look nice.
Kudos to DD for making the instruments look OEM while updating them to contemporary standards. I have a DD setup in my Charger. Mine went in in 2015-16. Since then, they changed to a design that looked just like the original Rallye cluster.
Son of a bitch....
I am SO tempted to get them, swap the ones I have into “Jigsaw” and keep the OEM looking ones for Ginger

198FD998-3B54-4CD3-9798-FED5BB9AAF14.jpeg

That does look nice.
Kudos to DD for making the instruments look OEM while updating them to contemporary standards. I have a DD setup in my Charger. Mine went in in 2015-16. Since then, they changed to a design that looked just like the original Rallye cluster.
Son of a bitch....
I am SO tempted to get them, swap the ones I have into “Jigsaw” and keep the OEM looking ones for Ginger

View attachment 1124517
Dude, I would be upset too! They should have a trade-up program and offer huge discounts

Cool, First one I have ever seen. Does that have GPS Speedometer?
The sensor they provide screws right into the trans where the old speedo cable goes. It's a pulse generator, but you can opt for the GPS module if you prefer.

Auto Transport Service
Back