• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60...........spool / no spool ?

Joe Mopar

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Haven't been on here in a while but need some feedback.
The posi in my car started slipping and drove it around like that most of this past season to shows and what not. It never made any noise, just wouldn't hook up the way it should or was not consistent.
So last weekend we pulled it apart and everything looks good ( nothing broken ) so clutches must just be worn. The couple of guys helping me talk me into ordering a spool for it then when I mentioned it to another friend he says I will hate it.
It's not a daily driver just use it to go to shows, and maybe go to the track once in a blue moon. Their comment was the way I like doing burnouts the spool was the way to go.
The car is a 64 Dodge 440, 440 powered, auto, with 4:10 gears. The one guy says he doesn't think my dana can be rebuilt . Not sure that I believe that. He says it's an old style, I know that I was told it came from a 70's something Ford truck.
I ordered the spool but having second thoughts of putting it in or sending it back.
Your thoughts on this please or other questions I can answer to help you with this. Thanks, Joe

I drive one of my cars on the street w/ a spool and have for years. I have with both slicks and street tires. Street tires are going to be more forgiving on parts. However, I don't think you will have any issues as long as you use a good spool and aftermarket axles, such as Moser, Williams etc.

My spool came with the car,the only thing I did to my Dana was selling the 5:13's and installing 4:10's. Own the car over 25 years.
I might be at a slightly higher HP range:blob1:

Chirp, chirp around corners for sure with a spool.

My car is used very much like you describe--going to shows, cruising the gatherings, once-in-a-blue moon to the track. Had a spool during the first two years following the restoration--HATED IT! Rebuilt the Dana with 3:76 gears and love it. Everyone's opinion will differ, but for my use--the spool is out.

Attachments

• 2. Satellite under-rear.jpg
    2. Satellite under-rear.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 196
I've never run a spool, but my concern would be if a surprise rain shower came while I was out. Around turns on wet roads, your inner rear tire would be spinning, which to me is a major safety concern. It's tough enough to keep these things hooked in the rain as it is.

A spool is needed at a certain HP/TQ level, however. Good buddy of mine is a chassis/rear end builder and when I went to a 700HP motor, he said my posi would not last a month. He was wrong, it lasted only 1 week!

Went to a spool and never had a problem since. They are not for daily street cars but are a must for high HP/TQ motors with slicks.

the car i had it in was a very short wheel base,which makes turning with a spool very interesting,i lost some turning radius,it would push the front tires,longer W/B would not be as bad.

Chirp, chirp, chirp! I wouldn't care for a spool on the street, my wallet either, to replace tires more frequently.

Rebuild your current unit Ford sells part Mopar does not and parts are the same

or best is install a truetrac no clutches and nice on the street spool is for track or off road use

Unless it's a dedicated drag car I wouldn't run a spool. I hate 'em on the street.

Lol c'mon man, i have dbl that and i have a LS......for YEARS.... You have to use the RIGHT PIECES.

Some ls units are weaker, and i'd love to have seen what REALLY broke in that D-60

Even more realistic, D-35 seeing 600+hp..... Factory Dana gears and LS...guess what hasn't broke.

If you broke anything in a D-60....you better find a new driveline shop, and quick with 700hp.

The other thing with a spool is it binds up EVERYTHING when turning and it effects bushings and springs and axles and especially the axle bearings, which can be broken by making turns like you're driving without a spool...

To correctly drive a spool on the street you wouldn't be able to since when you turn the wheel to the point you need to use the motor to move it means you have the axles in BIND, at that point they greatly put pressure on the races and can and do break them.
You have to make umpteen slight steering adjustments to get in and out of spots.

Auto Transport Service
Back