• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 vs Dana 70 difference

The D80 is getting big for a semi floater. I know Ford did 60's in heavy duty 1/2 trucks in the 60's because I got a hold of one from the original owner.

Must have been a light duty 3/4 ton with a 9 1/4. Kinda lost touch with the new trucks going into the late 80's but I've seen plenty of Dodges with semi floater 60's during the 90's and they probably had them into the 2000's too? I picked up 25 bare D60 housings that were '501's that Ford was testing that were semi floater design. They also had the 2 3/4 axle tubes but were still 1/4" wall thickness. IIRC, I got those in the very late 80's. They were supposed to be scraped but someone saw some $$$ signs and took them to a swap meet and I bought them all for 20 bucks a pop. Only have one left that I've been saving for myself.
I have never seen a Dana 60 semi floater in a Dodge Truck and thats what I sold from new since 1975. Maybe I have a brain fog.

Our 70something D100 (might have been a D150, it was a while ago) shop truck had a 360, and a five lug Dana 60. (I suppose it could have been a 61).
Yeah, I was surprised too.
My memory may be faulty, it was a while ago.

Our 70something D100 (might have been a D150, it was a while ago) shop truck had a 360, and a five lug Dana 60. (I suppose it could have been a 61).
Yeah, I was surprised too.
My memory may be faulty, it was a while ago.
That would be a first. Seen lots of people call a 9 1/4 a Dana 60. I would like to see some information that supports having a Dana 60 in a 1/2 ton dodge from 72 on up.

That would be a first. Seen lots of people call a 9 1/4 a Dana 60. I would like to see some information that supports having a Dana 60 in a 1/2 ton dodge from 72 on up.
I did say my memory might be wrong.
It had hubcaps on it, I assumed a five lug, might have been eight. And it might have been a 3/4 ton.
But it sure as s#!t was a Dana. I know the difference between a 9 1/4 and a 9 3/4, lol.

You get a semi floater or a full floater depending on the GVW rating of the truck. Light duty 3/4 tons can come with either depended on how they were ordered. You also have to be careful when using pickup and van rear ends because a lot of the lighter duty 3/4 ton trucks had Dana 61's in them to take advantage the taller ratios they offered (3.07 & 3.31) however they made Dana 61 gears in 3.54, 3.73, and 4.10 so this really makes it more confusing. So what the difference between a Dana 60 & a 61 you ask? In order to get a larger diameter pinion gear needed for the taller ratio gear sets the Dana 61 housing has the pinion moved over 3/8" compared to the position a Dana 60 has. My friend Jeff has ran a rear end shop for the last 30 years, so I am very versed in all of this. As far as a Dana 70 is concerned he takes the carriers out to use the guts in Dana 60's and saves a few sets of gears, but rarely do you ever need to replace a 70 gear set. 99% of the time the gear sets, housings go in the scrap pile.

When I was a kid there used to be a guy at the local race track that installed a narrowed 8 lug Dana 60 floater rear end in his 55 Chevy race car. It looked really funny with the white painted steel wheels on it, but he never had a failure with that rear end..

Tom

Last edited:
I did say my memory might be wrong.
It had hubcaps on it, I assumed a five lug, might have been eight. And it might have been a 3/4 ton.
But it sure as s#!t was a Dana. I know the difference between a 9 1/4 and a 9 3/4, lol.
3/4 did offer a 8 lug semi floater but it was 9 1/4. Some older Fords and International had 5 lug semi floater Dana 60. Not sure on the year.

This was an 8 lug full floater taken out of a Ford F250 4wd. I cut it down. Added ends, axles, and a spool. Even ran the original 3.54 gears until recently swapping to a 4.10
Doug

20230407_142327.jpg

You get a semi floater or a full floater depending on the GVW rating of the truck. Light duty 3/4 tons can come with either depended on how they were ordered. You also have to be careful when using pickup and van rear ends because a lot of the lighter duty 3/4 ton trucks had Dana 61's in them to take advantage the taller ratios they offered (3.07 & 3.31) however they made Dana 61 gears in 3.54, 3.73, and 4.10 so this really makes it more confusing. So what the difference between a Dana 60 & a 61 you ask? In order to get a larger diameter pinion gear needed for the taller ratio gear sets the Dana 61 housing has the pinion moved over 3/8" compared to the position a Dana 60 has. My friend Jeff has ran a rear end shop for the last 30 years, so I am very versed in all of this. As far as a Dana 70 is concerned he takes the carriers out to use for Dana 60's and saves a few sets of gears, but rarely do you ever need to replace a 70 gear set. 99% of the time the gear sets, housings go in the scrap pile.

When I was a kid there used to be a guy at the local race track that installed a narrowed 8 lug Dana 60 floater rear end in his 55 Chevy race car. It looked really funny with the white painted steel wheels on it, but he never had a failure with that rear end..

Tom
Not sure if the D70 gear set will fit into the 60 housing unless you're talking about saving the guts from the 70 carrier for the 60. When I installed new gears in my 70, the housing looked like it was bigger than the 60. I even had to modify my spreader to make clearance so I could get the gear to go through it.

Not sure if the D70 gear set will fit into the 60 housing unless you're talking about saving the guts from the 70 carrier for the 60. When I installed new gears in my 70, the housing looked like it was bigger than the 60. I even had to modify my spreader to make clearance so I could get the gear to go through it.

I changed the sentence to read, " As far as a Dana 70 is concerned he takes the carriers out to use the guts in Dana 60's and saves a few sets of gears, but rarely do you ever need to replace a 70 gear set."

So now there will be no confusion.

Tom

Last edited:
I changed the sentence to read, " As far as a Dana 70 is concerned he takes the carriers out to use guts in Dana 60's and saves a few sets of gears, but rarely do you ever need to replace a 70 gear set."

So now there will be no confusion.

Tom
Guess I'm the rare bird that had to replace the 3.54's in my 70 lol. HATE doing in chassis gear changes......especially with no lift.

Auto Transport Service
Back