• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana Rearend Question

69_Charger

Reaction score
I found a reasonable priced Dana rearend from a 73 that I was interested in installing on my '69 Charger. If my information is correct my 8 3/4 shaft is too long for the 73 rearend and I would have to shorten it to get it to fix. Am I asking for trouble by shortening my shaft or is this something many people have done with little to no issues. Last thing I want to do is shorten the shaft, regret it and then be in the market for a new shaft.

Yes, the driveshaft for the dana is shorter than for the 8 3/4. You can cut down the shaft if you want. When I put the dana in my car, I had a new driveshaft made and put the original 8 3/4 and driveshaft in the corner of the garage.

Do a test fit first before you spend your money. Sometimes, the 8 3/4 shaft is a bit short for the 8 3/4 in the first place. Seen it before.....

And,if it is actually a 73,it's to long for a bolt in for your 69.

If it's a 73 then its from a truck cuz 72 was the last year for a Dana in a car. Also as said before if its a 71/2 then it will be almost 3" wider than your 69 and the perches are over 3" wider.

When I was looking for a Dana 60,used Danas were almost the cost of a new Moser or Strange,I went with a Moser through a Canadian dealer ,spec my gear ratio , suregrip,axles etc just the way I wanted and it,s brand new!

Back