• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash chrome paint ?

I used bare metal foil on my '66 Coronet dash & glove box door - came out bitchin'

Could you explain this a bit more. I reckon it's not sold under that name here. Bit like when an American askEd me for stoddards spirit once. Sold here as white spirit! Lol!

Sorry it been so long but I've been busy...I bought the alclad spray paint(in a can) and was going to do one half of My glovebox door with it after doing the entire door with the silver penn paint(krylon shortcut penn). After painting half with the spray....I honestly couldn't see a difference...both the same and My pics came out crappy and also didn't show anything. BUT...I also sprayed the armrest bases with the paint and they came out better than just silver paint. I'm going to do the rest of the dash with the pen as it's easier than pulling ,masking,spraying it.

I also tried the barre metal foil and it looks great until it falls off...the adhesive on the back doesn't hold and I'm looking for some slow drying glue...the foil looks as good as new(factory) but You have to be patient and exact....not two of My best traits.

Has anyone tried any of the reproduction dash bezels? Been looking at the one for a 67 Coronet over at herbsparts.com - are they any descent or am I just better off waiting it out and getting it done by the guys referenced here?

Has anyone tried any of the reproduction dash bezels? Been looking at the one for a 67 Coronet over at herbsparts.com - are they any descent or am I just better off waiting it out and getting it done by the guys referenced here?

I doubt a reproduction will equal a well done original !:thinker:

The trick with Alclad is to make sure your base coat is perfect. It has to be painted gloss black and have a very smooth surface. Then, like said earlier, lite coats applied. I always just use about 2 or 3 coats. Spray about 8" away from the part.

Another paint to use that is just as good as Alclad is Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome. http://www.spazstix.com/mirror-chrome-aerosol-instructions

If you take the same steps it turns out just as nice. Keep in mind that your base coat black has got to be completely dry before spraying the chrome.

Keep in mind, after you paint with this stuff, you can't buff it or wax it. It will come off.

Another one I've used is Dupli-Color Chrome #CS101 and if you again use a gloss black base, this paint looks pretty good.

As far as "Bare-Metal Foil, it does look good, but I don't think the sticky backing will last too long when Summer time rolls around. But, I never tried it on car plastic before. Just model cars.

Once again, it's best to make sure the surface is cleaned.

Then using an Xacto-knife, cut lengths as needed. When applying, use a cotton swab to adhere it to the surface. Then take a wooden tooth pick to work out all the wrinkles. Finally, take the Xacto and cut off the excess.

Again, it will work for awhile, but IMHO not for the long hall.

Well it only took 3 1/2 months but here are some pics of my '66 dash - chrome re-done with Bare Metal Foil.

DSCF2132.jpgDSCF2131.jpgDSCF2125.jpg

THEMAN 440 --

What kind/brand of black did you use on the 66 Cluster?

Which did you do first - black or silver??

How did you mask it off - which tape did you use???

Actually the black on the cluster is untouched original - just cleaned up. I used white paint applied with a tooth pick for the lettering. I did paint the glove door I used Duplicolor Engine Paint, Low Gloss Black. It is a very close match to the factory finish.

Thanks for that info......

Thanks for that info......

I painted the glove door let it dry for a few days then I did the chrome with Bare Metal Foil - no masking needed.

Looks great.......Let us know how it holds up when the Summer gets here.....

Tape

A/C installers use a shiny aluminum foil tape, size of a small roll of duct tape, approx 2+ in wide. Easy to work and use, sticks well even in heat. Can be buffed with polishing cloth if you scuff it on the install. Never used Bare Metal, but I'm thinking the A/C tape is likely thicker. Decent results though. Good luck, Mike.

Auto Transport Service
Back