• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash frame paint for 73 RR

Ralph Cali

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
I have a 73 RR and have removed the dash frame form the car for restoration.
Obviously it is covered up by the dash pad etc, but a good part of it is visable from the top against the windshield and below the pad like the glove compartment area.

I was told that you spray it with a 20 to 30 % gloss and it should be like satin finish.

What paint would i use if i sprayed it with a gun and what paint should i use if i used a spray can - eastwood states they have a trim paint that is 20-30% gloss for this use as a spray can.

What process for painting - sand lightly over the old paint, prime and repaint ?

The dash pad, heater box, instrument cluster & bezels I am having restored.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks Ralph

"Somewhere", on the internet are specific formulas listing what texture additives to use and in what proportion. I believe there are three different levels. I wish I could remember exactly where.

Everytime I see a freshly painted glossy dash, I cringe.

thanks will look for it
Ralph

I have used Rustoleum's Satin Black with good success. Not for concourse correct, but for coming out of a rattle-can, pretty damn close.

I do know that some car dashes had a 'suede' finish in addition to the satin gloss.

Auto Transport Service
Back