• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash lights not working but headlights switch works. What am I missing?

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
I have read so many posts for the last 6 months and have tried to resolve my dash lights not working but no luck. This morning I realized that I do not have my 3 new relays installed for the rotating headlight buckets. Do those relays have to be connected in order to complete the circuit to turn on the dash lights?

I bought three new relays from Topher but haven't installed yet. I did not receive any instructions with the relays and I remembered reading something about Topher's relays having a different ground wire or something he elimnated from the original wiring.

Any help with how to wire his relays correctly is appreciated.

Hi Dean, Based on your 3 relay statement, assume you are talking 66-67 Charger ? I may be able to help you if I can gather some additional info. First, on dash lights, did the ever work or did they stop working suddenly ? On the headlights, same.. did they ever work, by that I mean rotate fully open to close ? Why did you need new relays ? Did you have a defective one with rotational problems proven to be relay related ? What's the status of your headlight motors ? You mention 'Tropher", did he rebuild your headlight motors, or are your motors original and not refurbished ?
Here is a link about relays..
Terry, Pittsburgh PA

Last edited:
Good morningTerry, all good questions. Yes my car is a 1967 Charger and the rotating headlights did not work when I bought the car nor did the dash lights. I had the opportunity to install a new wiring harness in my engine bay becasue I had the engine out. The reason I bought Tophers relays was I saw them on his website and have read only good things on the Forum. The headlight motors are original to the car as best as I can tell. The headlights do work so I have them in the open position. I was under the dash yesterday and checked fuses, ground screws in dash, checked the wiring. I don't see anything that is obvious that is causing the problem. However I have spoken with SKATPAK and he did have me check specific items. I have not completed all of the testing. He does suggest that the fuel gauge may be the culprit and he can make the repair so my dash lights will work as well as my gauges. Yes my fuel gauge and my in dash Tachometer are also not working. With both the gauges and the dash lights not working I thought it would be just a wiring problem.

Yesterday, I had the car running and headlights on. The taillight turn signals work BUT the taillights do not stay on with the headlights on. I do have the rear bumper off the car ( to be rechromed) and I thought there may be a ground wire that needs to be reattached to the frame for the tail lights to work. I didn't find any ground wire that was not connected.

I know that these gremlins drive us nuts and I do have a service mnaula with the wiring diagram, so I continue to painstakingly go through the process of elimination. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you, Dean.

I think the first step would be to verify the proper input and output power of the power pack. Assuming you have a service manual?

Hi,
Sorry for response delay but I was away for a few days. In my 66, there is a circuit breaker behind drivers side kick panel. It is the 12 V source for the headlight motors. Think it's same in a 67 but not sure. I would not replace the relays unless they are bad. One thing at a time.. If you don't havre a service manual, you can find manual repro's on E bay.
On gauge cluster, there is a 5V mechanical voltage regulator inside the fuel gauge that is the 5V source for 3 gauges,, fuel, oil pressure and temperature gauges. The regulator has no relationship to the Tach not working however.
Power pack for EL lit items is beneath dash glove box. Housing is ground, orange wire is + 12 V from headlight switch, white wire is aprox. 250 Volts AC. If any item fed by that white wire is defective, it can / will shut down the power pack, so best to disconnect white wire if testing the power pack in the car.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back