• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash restoration

My gauges are a bit rusty, but the cost of outsourcing a new gauge repaint is scaring me away.

Has anyone tried to restore the white paint on their gauges using these paint masks?

http://premiumdashdecals.com/6870_bbody_non_rallye.htm

I could strip and prep the face plate, but as for applying the mask and selecting the right paint, I have no experience...anyone else?

I used them on my 1969 Coronet R/T gauges. I removed the needles, stripped the paint, sanded, washed/degreased, painted with Krylon Dual flat black about 3 coats. Dry for 24-48 house then use the paint masks. Extremely hard to align. Epecially the speedo mask. I learned how to cuss again! I used Krylon Dual Satin White for the raised portions. I also sanded the housing and painted it with Krylon Dual Satin White.

When you clean your indicator lenses don't rub too hard or you will take off the translucent layer (diffraction layer). You can get the indicator lens seal from the same place you got the masking kit. It comes with the green turn signal lenses but not the oil and brakes lenses.

It was worth it and I got the satisfaction of doing it myself. I got the needle paint from www.Hipoparts.com. I will do that next.

Here's a picture:

instrument cluster open.jpg

My gauges are a bit rusty, but the cost of outsourcing a new gauge repaint is scaring me away.

Has anyone tried to restore the white paint on their gauges using these paint masks?

http://premiumdashdecals.com/6870_bbody_non_rallye.htm

I could strip and prep the face plate, but as for applying the mask and selecting the right paint, I have no experience...anyone else?

those results look great! Thanks for the help, I think your results have convinced me.

I'll have to take your word on cussing, but knowing it's tough going into it might prepare me mentally.

I used them on my 1969 Coronet R/T gauges. I removed the needles, stripped the paint, sanded, washed/degreased, painted with Krylon Dual flat black about 3 coats. Dry for 24-48 house then use the paint masks. Extremely hard to align. Epecially the speedo mask. I learned how to cuss again! I used Krylon Dual Satin White for the raised portions. I also sanded the housing and painted it with Krylon Dual Satin White.

When you clean your indicator lenses don't rub too hard or you will take off the translucent layer (diffraction layer). You can get the indicator lens seal from the same place you got the masking kit. It comes with the green turn signal lenses but not the oil and brakes lenses.

It was worth it and I got the satisfaction of doing it myself. I got the needle paint from www.Hipoparts.com. I will do that next.

Here's a picture:

View attachment 102004

Finished. Good enough for daily driver. I used Model Masters FS28913 Red-Orange for the needles over a white base coat. Switches rebuilt by Devin Duke in California. He was the most reasonbly priced. He has a store on ebay as devinism. Here's a few photos.

Attachments

• switch panel restored.jpg
    switch panel restored.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 310
  • switch panel restored-001.jpg
    switch panel restored-001.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 304
  • switch panel restored-002.jpg
    switch panel restored-002.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 299
  • switch panel restored-003.jpg
    switch panel restored-003.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 306
  • switch panel restored-004.jpg
    switch panel restored-004.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 288
  • gauge cluster restored.jpg
    gauge cluster restored.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 320
  • gauge cluster restored-001.jpg
    gauge cluster restored-001.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 306
  • needle paint.jpg
    needle paint.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 314
FYI. To do the lettering. I've learned to use the eraser end of a pencil and dab it in some whit paint. Press the eraser over the lettering and voila!

FYI. To do the lettering. I've learned to use the eraser end of a pencil and dab it in some whit paint. Press the eraser over the lettering and voila!

Didn't work for me. I used a magnifying table lamp, a Sharpie Ultra Fine paint pen X3 coats, and lots of patience. Let dry 24 hours and clear coated with Satin clear X2 coats.

Looks great. Just may attempt it myself

Do you guys have any experience with someone to repair a bad temp gauge. Since the color was changed on my dash and I don't want to redo all the gauges I have to get my gauge fixed. Any help with reputable and reasonable contacts would be appreciated.

Did anyone find a how-to on resetting the odometer wheels?

Do you guys have any experience with someone to repair a bad temp gauge. Since the color was changed on my dash and I don't want to redo all the gauges I have to get my gauge fixed. Any help with reputable and reasonable contacts would be appreciated.

Did anyone find a how-to on resetting the odometer wheels?

Devin Duke did my switches. He does gauges, too. Mine were OK. You can ask him about your gauge yourself. Check you inbox for the email address.

Tell him Roger in Oklahoma told you to ask. He's super nice and reasonable on his prices and has 30 years experience in resto Mopar work.

I just finished mine as well for my 73RR!!!! plus added all new gaskets for the turnsignals, light switches etc, repainted the needles and "chrome" trim.
Looks fantastic! Now I'm jealous and have another weekend project for my roadrunner.

Very nice!!

A tip to avoid getting the mess behind the lenses:

Using a utility knife or very small flat-blade screwdriver, you can pick away at the white plastic blobs that are holding them on. It's pretty thinn and will break away easily without too much force. You can then gently pry the lens up and pop it free, leaving a clean post behind 95% of the time. You can then clean the lens on a bench grinder or however, and can do both sides.

To replace them on the housing, just pop them back over the posts and use either clear or white adhesive caulk (Perma-Seam Seal works great) over the posts, and it will hold them....could use modeling glue too, but I've never tried, and would be worried about burning the plastic.

I have a stack of the lenses that I've pulled off, waiting to be polished.

I polished the lens without removing from the gauge housing. I figured the back didn't need it and was right. I just used Mothers aluminum polish and a buffing wheel on a cordless drill.

Auto Transport Service
Back