• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash vin tag replacement

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
81FE6604-FBE2-4E34-AE63-E232207D0A8E.jpeg
At somepoint someone removed the original vin tag off the dash of my ‘70 Belvedere and added a Florida tag in its place. The numbers match the other vin numbers on the car/title. Is it possible to order a Mopar vin tag and replace the Florida tag? If so how?

No...that would be illegal....called VIN Fraud.....what you have is what stays and keeps it legal.....once you “tamper” alter or change what was originally assigned by Chrysler(now gone) and the state issued in your case changing that is deemed vin fraud.....

Seems like you (or proper agency) should be able to do it since the body has the same number stamped in 2 places. Oh well.

Seems like you (or proper agency) should be able to do it since the body has the same number stamped in 2 places. Oh well.
Think about it.....you want to replace what the state issued legally and permanently attached from what was lost.......any altercation, replacement and tampering of the current tag is FRAUD.......

It is what it is.....changing that is a crime no matter how legit it appears....

Your car was probably stolen and recovered, usually with many missing components including the vin tag. The state issued the new Vin tag to get it back into circulation. You can not go back to the old vin tag without breaking some major laws.

Does your title have the Chrysler VIN or the FL assigned one?

I don't follow - "The numbers match the other vin numbers on the car/title."

Does Sonny want to keep the car or not and enjoy it? If not just taper with the tag. Lose the car and your freedom all at the same time.

It was a simple question. Sorry I asked.

Have the body VIN researched and see if the Original VIN shows the change to the new FL VIN. The car could have been resurrected/constructed with a Bill of Sale then Florida made a new number and the old numbers are clean and still in the database. Then you can treat it like a vehicle with a damaged Dash Tag and get another made. Do the research first and be very sure as you will need to have a title with the Original Numbers. Try to locate the last registered owner and get them to sign off on a replacement Title before you do anything. You are also assuming that that dash tag even goes with that car. Laws are about "intent" and research is what restoring a car is all about. You don't have enough information to ask if it is illegal.

I have a good dash assembly for a 73 charger original VIN intact. The body is gone beyond repair. Is it legal to place the whole dash assembly in the 73 shell I bought it has nothing in it nothing at all sand blasted shell? The VIN is registered with a current tag in PA. Dont wanna go to jail for a car haha. But hate to let a perfectly good Mopar sit unused when 2 vould make 1 and I'm never gonna sell.

I have a good dash assembly for a 73 charger original VIN intact. The body is gone beyond repair. Is it legal to place the whole dash assembly in the 73 shell I bought it has nothing in it nothing at all sand blasted shell? The VIN is registered with a current tag in PA. Dont wanna go to jail for a car haha. But hate to let a perfectly good Mopar sit unused when 2 vould make 1 and I'm never gonna sell.
All three numbers need to match on a car to be "Right" and "You" may never sell it, but what when you die and a relative has to?

Just talked to Pa DMV. They said it can be done how ever the paper work is a nightmare. The vehicle must go to an enhanced inspection station and be photographed. And vehicle owner must provide documents to support titiling of vehicle. Then once that is done you can only title the vehicle as a modified vehicle and need to complete form MV-426B.

Resources: www.dmv.pa.gov
Fact sheet modified vehicle titling procedure.
Form: MV-426B

Does your title have the Chrysler VIN or the FL assigned one?

I don't follow - "The numbers match the other vin numbers on the car/title."
The Vin number on the trunk gutter and radiator support match the Florida Vin number and the Vin on the title.

The Vin number on the trunk gutter and radiator support match the Florida Vin number and the Vin on the title.

IF THE ASSIGNED VIN MATCHES THE ORIGINAL TITLE AND NUMBERS ON THE CAR ALL IT LOOKS LIKE IS THAT THEY REPLACED AN ORIGINAL VIN TAG WITH A DUPLICATE.

A friend of mine had a 67 GTX stolen from him years ago and when it was recovered New York State reassigned a VIN number to it because the thieves pulled the vin tag of of it. Fast forward some years later and I challenged him to prove to me that his car was indeed a GTX. That started him on a mission to find documentation on his original VIN number. The car was stolen so long ago he didn’t have anything in his records of the original vin number and neither did the State orhis insurance company. Luckily the courthouse had a copy of the court documents in the basement so he was able to get a get documentation of the theft and recovery. From there he was able to get a replacement VIN tag and the local DMV inspection office had the State Police attach it to the car. The funny thing is that it was a 68 style tag on a 67 car.

IF THE ASSIGNED VIN MATCHES THE ORIGINAL TITLE AND NUMBERS ON THE CAR ALL IT LOOKS LIKE IS THAT THEY REPLACED AN ORIGINAL VIN TAG WITH A DUPLICATE.
I can only assume the car was once stolen or the dash rusted out (or wreck damaged) and replaced with the actual car’s vin number.

If the gutter number and the radiator support number are the original stamping then you have the the best scenario to buy a reproduction Vin Tag. You should go buy a Lottery Ticket.

if all the numbers are the same and present as we're originally issued, and only the style of tag has changed , you should be able to transfer the numbers back to an original style tag .

Yeah, that's what I didn't follow. At this point if the VIN is the same as the Chrysler VIN but on different plate I can't image there's an issue re-pop'n one.

However I still don't follow. The OP picture VIN starts with FLA00, that's not the born with VIN.

Sounds like they stamped the FL VIN everywhere?

No one is allowed by Chrysler to repop the VIN tag plate....Period, end of story.....

Furthermore, as noted above did anyone read what FL stamped on the plate......Guess Florida understood that even they cannot reproduce a Chrysler VIN plate....

Auto Transport Service
Back