• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here! Question about a 1970 Challenger 426

Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Hello! I posted this on reddit and was told that this is where the smart people hang out.:) Any help is greatly appreciated.

My buddy’s dad passed away last year and left behind a super nice 1970 Challenger 426 finished in Plum Crazy purple. The VIN numbers match on the fenders, radiator support, hood, etc., so the body appears to be all original.

Problem is, we can’t quite figure out how to tell if the engine/transmission are numbers matching with the VIN. According to the internet, there should be a VIN number located on the block above the oil pan, but there isn’t one.

The code on the transmission’s bell housing only shows that it’s a 1970 transmission and it gives the build sequence. I don’t know what to do with the sequence to match it to the engine or car.

The engine block itself has the Engine Identification Number, that when decoded, shows that it’s a 426 built 11-11-69. According to the car’s VIN, the car itself was built 12-5-69, so I think the dates make sense for manufacturing purposes.

The car is registered with Galen’s Tag Service and was featured in a magazine in the early 90s.

Questions:

Are there other ways to tell if it’s the original engine?

Can anyone help us make sense of the sequence numbers for the transmission?

Thank you for reading!

If it’s registered with GTS it should declare on the paperwork. Otherwise show us some pictures and we will be happy to help.

There should be a VIN number stamped on the block on the drivers side. This number should match a number stamped into the radiator support and another location which is under the trunk seal on the trunk lip. If all those numbers match you dash VIN, then you have a matching numbers Engine and body. The transmission should also have the same VIN number stamped into it to make it all numbers matching.

Welcome to B Bodies ! Do you know there is also an E Bodies Site, run under the same format ???

Haha, I just learned this and posted the question there. Am I able to delete my thread here?
No, leave it here too. Some of us enjoy the E Bodies also. I was just referring you for some additional info. We still want those pics though, glad to trade !!!

1115231300_HDR.jpg

1115231300b_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
The original block should have the partial Vin on a pad on the right (passenger) side of the block, just above the oilpan rail. If the pad is there, but no numbers on it, it's probably a warrantee or replacement block. The Vin on the block that matches the body Vin is the only proof that I know of to prove its the correct engine.

There should be a VIN number stamped on the block on the drivers side. This number should match a number stamped into the radiator support and another location which is under the trunk seal on the trunk lip. If all those numbers match you dash VIN, then you have a matching numbers Engine and body. The transmission should also have the same VIN number stamped into it to make it all numbers matching.
The number on the engine block is on the passenger side... Just to the rear of the engine mount on the oil pan rail...

E bodies don't have a VIN stamp on the trunk rail...

4spd or Auto?

Yes, sorry I meant passengers side for the engine stamping. I did not know that E-Bodies did not have the trunk stamping. You learn something new every day, thanks for that.

Welcome from a fellow Long Islander.
Nassau or Suffolk?
Nice Challenger!

Auto Transport Service
Back