• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decal Removal

skyman51

Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
How can I remove a decal from a chrome piece without damaging the chrome?
Thanks

heat gun and a plastic razor blade.......yes,,,they make plastic razor blades....only place i know to get them is a car detail distributor.

you can even use a metal razor blade. just dont gouge into the bumper....heat up the decal ,,,get it soft and razor it offa there. clean the glue up with paint thinner or lighter fluid!

If you don't own a heat gun, a hair dryer will also work...but expect to be at it longer. Pretty much any type of solvent or cleaner should soften it up...some may just have to stay on longer. Razor blades work the quickest, but even a putty knife or pocket knife will work to remove a decal from chrome. You should be able to buff out any surface scratches when done.

You have more guts or experience than I do. I understand the heat gun, but there is no way I am going to attempt to scrape it off. This shpw chrome, but thanks for the suggestion. If heat and solvent will work than I will try that.

I would not "scrape" it off...
may try Goo Gone???????
it is a sticker lifer.:eusa_think:
thumbnail.aspx

The plastic razor blade will NOT, in any way, hurt the finish-we use them all the time here for decal removal, and the finish is never harmed, and paint is a lot more sensitive than chrome.

The plastic razor blade will NOT, in any way, hurt the finish-we use them all the time here for decal removal, and the finish is never harmed, and paint is a lot more sensitive than chrome.

Where can I get these plastic razor blades and is that all I need or is the decal first soaked with either water ot solvent?

You have more guts or experience than I do. I understand the heat gun, but there is no way I am going to attempt to scrape it off. This shpw chrome, but thanks for the suggestion. If heat and solvent will work than I will try that.
..............why is there a bumper sticker or any sticker for that matter on your " show chrome" ?:icon_mrgreen:

..............why is there a bumper sticker or any sticker for that matter on your " show chrome" ?:icon_mrgreen:

I'm guessing he's removing the controversial Air Cleaner Decal from Hell. The plastic blade is a body shop supply item, Napa or O'Reillys, or any parts supplier with a commercial account base should have them. Brake or Carb cleaner will soften it for removal, or as mentioned earlier a heat gun.

'Good' chrome plating is nice and hard. Careful scraping will not hurt it a bit.

...and as tpodwdog asked, "Why is there a decal on show chrome to begin with?" :icon_scratch:

From working in restoration shops through out high school, college and after I picked up a neat trick from an old timer. Razor blades work great but you have to be careful that you do not gouch the finish on what ever you are taking the decal off of. We always used razor blades but what we would do is round off the points on the razor blade. The points/corners of the razor blade is normally what will catch and gouch the surface. By rounding the points the razor blade with not gouch or catch. We would do this all the time to remove decals and pin stripe tape from painted areas. BIG thing is take your time and be patient.
But this is just my 2 cents.

James From
PST Marketing
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316

You can spray on an aerosol, such as 'Permatex Decal and Adhesive Remover'. It won't hurt paint or chrome, just sort of melts the decal.

Klean-Strip Aircraft Decal & Adhesive Remover. Works great and any residue wipes right off. Have used it on my car many times.

I always used goof off. To keep it from evaporating too quick, I soak a paper towel in it, drape it over the sticker and then lay some saran wrap over it nice and tight. Saran wrap doesnt stick to metal surfaces but you can get it done.

First yes I am removing the incorrect air cleaner decal. Well the decal (vinyl) easily came off the air cleaner in one easy pull. It left all the glue behind. Nothing and I mean NOTHING in a liquid will remove it. It comes off with a finger nail. I am going to get that plastic blade!

Auto Transport Service
Back