• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decoding trans. #'s

Bigcountry

Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello experts, I have access to a couple of Mopar four speed tranny's and wanted to know what they came out of and value. First one has 3 C-9912 on shaft, 99K03X5, and 4C97372 on the side. Second one has C95664 Z, 3C96561 H on the side and C98708 3. A number or two may be off due to poor light and difficulty in reading them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and take care, B.C.. If these numbers don't help, please let me know where to look for identifing numbers.

They only built a few different 4 speed boxes.
23 spline
18 spline
aluminum case overdrive 4 speed

The first is the standard small engine unit and the spline is counted on the shaft that goes into the engine.
The 18 spline is the Hemi 4 speed used behind both the Hemi cars and the 440 H.P. engines in the 60s-70s
The overdrive is all but useless as they don't hold up to the high h.p. and were built for economy cars.

There is no way to tell the difference with the case numbers on an 883 trans but the spline and case material tell you as stated above.

696pak, thanks for the info. I will check the spline count and see if it is for a big block. Gonna run about 600 hp thru a 440 and would like a four speed. Thanks and take care, B.C..

696pak, thanks for the info. I will check the spline count and see if it is for a big block. Gonna run about 600 hp thru a 440 and would like a four speed. Thanks and take care, B.C..

Both the 23 and 18 spline were used behind big blocks but only the 18 spline behind the 440 HP and Hemi. The 23 spline behind small blocks, 383, and 400.

Ok so what's the difference between the long shaft and short shaft? I have one of each. Thanks and take care, B.C.

Does anyone know difference between the long shaft and short shaft, meaning what they were originally made to go in.

I don't believe there were any factory long/short input shafts, I think they were all to same. However many people cut the shaft off to fit behind Chevys and Fords.

I didn't realize you were talking front shaft, there shouldn't be any differences in the length of the front shaft I don't think. The different bellhousings acted as the adapter between big and small blocks. Someone may have modified it like 696pack said.

No, not talking about the shaft itself, but the whole unit. When sitting side by side, bellhousing to shaft, ther is a three to five inch difference in total length. I thought one might be for a different body Mopar??

No, not talking about the shaft itself, but the whole unit. When sitting side by side, bellhousing to shaft, ther is a three to five inch difference in total length. I thought one might be for a different body Mopar??

Sounds like one of them is an A body tail shaft. If so you will not that the difference is in the tailshaft only.

So if I have a 69 Coronet with a 600hp 440..... Would I chose the trans with the longer shaft or the shorter one ??????!?

A 69 Coronet would use the long tailshaft, only an A body would use the short tailshaft.

Thank you 696 pack, that is what I was wanting to know. Thanks to everyone else who gave their 2cents.

The boss for the shifter box is an indicator as well. Some trans has a boss for E and B bodies, another is for A bodies, trucks are different. 66-69 B bodies don't have the boss for the E body shifter box. I think 65 and older B body had a flange on the tailshaft.
I believe MyMopar.com or Moparts has a trans I.D. reference link...
I'm certainly not an expert, maybe some more knowledgeable members will chime in...

The boss for the shifter box is an indicator as well. Some trans has a boss for E and B bodies, another is for A bodies, trucks are different. 66-69 B bodies don't have the boss for the E body shifter box. I think 65 and older B body had a flange on the tailshaft.
I believe MyMopar.com or Moparts has a trans I.D. reference link...
I'm certainly not an expert, maybe some more knowledgeable members will chime in...

Actually the way it goes is that on the longer trans tailshaft there are two sets of mounting hole (bosses) one for B body and one for E bodies the A body tailshaft has one and the entire tailshaft is shorter as I stated earlier in this thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back