• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

deeep water spots in paint

crumbut

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
I have some terrible water spots im trying to remove. I also have orange peel and have been wet sanding with great results (smoothing) but the wetsanding and rubbing compund doesnt even touch the water spots stains... any ideas?

Thanks

Water spots

Got some pics of the spots? Thake them at a 45 degree angle. Water spots should come right out!

if the paint is the original kind ( acrylic enamel ). theres nothing you can do but repaint it. my 70 purple Runner has them,,,theyre kinda like dark and light spots , some the size of a dime ... but for the most part... alot smaller. i learned to live with it because i couldnt get them out either. i doubt they are water spots. some soaps and degreasers like that purple crap will damage the paint.

if the paint is the original kind ( acrylic enamel ). theres nothing you can do but repaint it. my 70 purple Runner has them,,,theyre kinda like dark and light spots , some the size of a dime ... but for the most part... alot smaller. i learned to live with it because i couldnt get them out either. i doubt they are water spots. some soaps and degreasers like that purple crap will damage the paint.
Could be minor hail damage too. Seen it before.

Ill take a pic tomorrow. Some of mine are huge. I sand them away use rubbing compound.. buff and they are gone ... then reapply wax and by the next day they are back! The roof of my car is the worst. Im thinking i might have to sand deeper.

Sorry been busy. First shot is roof of car. Second is hood.
vbpgimage.php

hood is ok.. needs more work but few spots left.
vbpgimage.php

Wow

I SEEEEEEEEEEEE!
That is aggrivating. Is that factory original finish or a re-paint? I hope you're not drinking that water! I'm afraid that a re-paint is in order if you sand, buff, and glaze, and they're back the next day. I would get in touch with a paint rep from a local re-finishing supplier and show them the pics. I'd also be afraid to put a new color on top of that damaged substrate. wet sand and block! Good luck and let us know what you find out!

It is a repaint done before I had the car. Shitty paint job too. The wetsanding has helped to remove a lot of the orange peel but these darn spots are getting the best of me. Trunk lid also has them. I dont know what got on the car but it showed up shortly after the first time I tried to wax it. Ever since ive been at battle. Cost of repaint is nothing I can afford at the moment so I will continue sanding when I get time. Ive thought about coating it with some satin finish black to pretend I had a vinyl roof LOL

Well you might think this unusual but get a can of mineral spirits its like thinner not as harsh rub it over it let it haze then buff with strong compound then finish buff with mothers or something real fine first buff with wool pad finish with foam keep foam pad moist with compound or it will burn then wax with insulator wax that is a chemical burn from a harsh soap of some kind the mineral spirits cleans chrome very good also

Welcome Matt used to detail cars would mix soaps to chemical strip then do those steps

I tried your method.. what does the mineral spirits do? It didnt help me :(

Maybe mineral spirts after compound?

could be a bad angle, but i dont see the water spots anymore.

It cleans paint hate to say it last resort I can think use thinner same process but it shines dang good rt now

Sorry forgot to explain pic.. ya gotta look at edge where trees reflect to see the spots remain.

it looks like to me that it is some kind of chemical reaction that's under the paint and now it is starting to show thru.

from what i see either live with the spots-keep waxing and enjoy the car or spend money--i would keep waxing-l pictures look good-

Not trying to change what your doing but if you have the equipment needed, I think i would be tempted to get some Acrylic Enamel and sand it down and paint it. MHO.. You say you do it and then comes right back...

Auto Transport Service
Back