• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Denver had a tornado.

SteveSS

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
In the Highlands Ranch area which is a pretty upscale neighborhood. They had larger hail, and the tornado, now flooding. This is no big deal by tornado alley standards but it's very unusual for Denver. I'm pretty safe because I'm just a couple of miles before the big mountains start but there are parts of Denver that are 30 miles from the big mountains. The radio said we are having the wettest June since 1883. Last night at Red Rocks, a fancy natural amphitheater they had large hail and 100 people got hurt. Right now where I am it's 5:30 but as dark as it normally is at 8:30.

BTW happy Summer Solstice!

Back in 87 I move to Denver from GJ and saw my first tornado ever. Actually two at the same hit Denver. I was in Golden and had a great view. Don't miss living there.

Use to work at the Coors facility semi-regularly.... Always stayed at the Table Mountain Inn, nice area...

I had to drive out to the ranch to take the trash out to the road. Halfway there the hail was piled up on the roads 4" deep. There were still tracks on the pavement that were clear but the Camaro was dragging over the hail between the tracks. I almost made it to the ranch on the gravel road but I got stuck and had to walk the last 300 yards. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I swear it was 30 degrees out there. I got turned around and made it home. One bridge right before my turn was flooding but I was able to turn just before that bridge.

for you non-Coloradans GJ is Grand Junction. It's on the western slope of the Rockies.

For some reason that area is prone to severe flash floods... Almost like it rains in the mountains than comes racing down those little streams in a raging torrent.... I have family up around Ft Collins, it can get scary very quickly... Still a beautiful area...

I was in Monument Co over the weekend visiting family and got hailed on. Fortunately I was able to drive under a building canopy and avoid most of it and since it was at most marble size it looks like I avoided damage. But they just keep getting hail almost every day around Monument, Falcon and Palmer Lake. Lots of car damage.

Was driving through Fairplay, Colorado a couple Sundays ago. About 80° and nice weather. Stopped in this D&S on 285 south for lunch. As we were leaving, a few cars pulled in as well as the gray skies...........
1687525165760.png

Five miles down the road heading to Sedona we were driving through a sleet /slush/and small hailstorm as the temperature dropped to the low 40s....
1687525005846.png

Another 5 miles were back to partly cloudy and the low 80s........
1687528196416.png

Years ago was heading to Carlisle on 4th of July weekend. East of Denver on I-70 was coming up on Limon and started seeing flashing blue lights. Got into Limon to find about 18" of small hail. Counted 8 snow plows on I-70, in July!

5-6 years ago I'd been working in New Jersey & the flight home had a lay over in Denver... It was storming when we landed... Then all departing flights got cancelled... Tried to call the closer hotels to get reservations... Wasn't the first one to think of that so naturally everything was booked.... Headed over to the rental car area to see about a car... Only place that had cars was Hertz... And the car that I had reserved on my phone for $ 60 they wanted $250 for greedy gouging bastards... I travel for work a lot & at the time I was a Hertz Gold Premier Blah Blah... I grabbed my phone & called customer service... A couple minutes later the Hertz desk person was paging me... Hertz tuned him up.. So now I have a car & I set out to find a hotel... Couldn't find anything closer than Arvada.. But I got a room & got some sleep, next day I go to return my rental car & there's lots of angry customers.. It seems lots of cars got hail damage over night and Hertz had added an exemption in their coverage for hail damage.... Anyway, I got home safe & I'll never use Hertz again...

Dammit AR67GTX, Monument is my hometown. Nothing is over 10 minutes away. I would have bought you a beer.

On charts of best places to live, Colorado gets downgraded because of the hail.

Oh, and our government is turning into California. I see Wyoming in my future.

Dammit AR67GTX, Monument is my hometown. Nothing is over 10 minutes away. I would have bought you a beer.

The rest of my family lives in the Palmer Lake, Monument, and Peyton (I said Falcon above but has a Peyton address - confusing). My 98 year old Dad is in an assisted living home in Monument so we were checking up on him. I‘m the sole family outcast - hanging out in Arkansas.

Last edited:
I do miss Colorado
We had a tiny tornado here in Idaho today very odd.

Saw that Colorado weather on the local news here....looks like the year for tornadoes everywhere. Hope everyone is okay...

Auto Transport Service
Back