• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DePouli's 1969 Charger 318

Installed the power steering hose and filled the pump. Also installed the correct engine to body ground wire and did the heater bypass hose as well. So wanted to turn the motor to #1 TDC to get the plugs wires right...

But I got this

The first clunk is turning the ignition on. The second is turning it to start...and then repeating.

Battery is at 12.76V

Checked the wiring all appears to be in the right spots.

Also found the clunk happens when I turn the ignition switch to the left for the accessories.

Checked the ignition switch vs. harness and all appears right there.

OK new info... the clunk is from the Air conditioning clutch. From inside the car it sounds like it was coming from the starter and my video helper failed to tell me it was coming from an entirely different location. found it by accident after I replaced the starter relay (the ignition switch was on when I connected the battery and viola sound found).

That said still no start, but it is acting like the neutral switch is not hooked up so I will mess with that some next.

Success, well, I got the starter to spin. It was the neutral safety switch. Not sure what exactly i did as I just pressed on it some but that did the trick.

I go the motor to TDC on #1 and installed the plugs. a few crank attempts and not so much as a cough but will keep at it.

Last edited:
Primed the fuel pump with a spare electric pump so definitely have gas in the carb. Checked and adjusted the timing with my timing light.
Confirmed I have sparked.

No start...hmm.....

Any type of fart or any signs of life? Positive you aren’t 180 degrees out on your distributor?

Also do you actually see gas squirting in the carb? Might throw a splash down the carb and see if it comes to life if you don’t see fuel squirting yet.

Drill a hole in a water bottle lid, fill bottle with gas and use it as a squirt bottle to start and keep running until the fuel system takes over. Use a remote starter button, or jumper wire and stand AT the carb throttle. No way I'd be sitting turning the key!

Yea you may have fuel at the pump,but not at the carb yet. If it farts and runs with a squirt of fuel and spark, then your in the right direction. If it backfires, then I'd say you are 180 degrees out as its easy to do. Just swap distributor 180 then try again.

In your video it sure sounds like a lot of lifter noise ya mite want to check your oil pressure Just a suggestion.

45 psi at idle, 60 rev'd, first start since putting back in the car. 10W30.. One lifter was lazy for 5 minutes. Not bad for an engine that was rebuilt FORTY years ago!

Last edited:
Ok here is the first shot after I spun the distributor 180...

It's short... A cap flew off the AC compressor if you look close.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back