• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DePouli's 1969 Charger 318

Got a small block 4 bbl throttle linkage cable and kick down linkage bracket. Things are lined up much better now. hopefully another shake down tomorrow and then RR 1/4 window adjustment.

That leaves these looking for homes.

View attachment 791222
The console does NOT use bumpers.......

Passenger side window is in. God that was painful.

I learned several things that I'd like to share

1. I tried @moparnation74 's trick with the black magic and it definitely helped on the track this time, plus having the vent window in the car helped, but still wasn't perfect and still did some damage to those plastic track weatherstrips (those things are just awful).

2. I had to loosen and completely uninstall the track at the back of the door and then reinstall it once the window was in.

3. I did not realize the rivet and regulator track thing couldn't go on the window until after it was in the door, but also i should put the track thing on the roller of the regulator first then bring it up to the window and then rivet

4. The door fuzzy with larger stainless edge should go to the inside. I had them backwards
View attachment 794915

However my rear quarter window is still well out of adjustment
View attachment 794914

Drivers side is good, look how much further it overlaps the door
View attachment 794913
If you recall I stated that this is one area on our cars I despise to tackle......It took me a handful of restorations before I was decent at installing them....They are a royal PITA.....

I tape, double, triple quadruple tape....

Got an early start today to beat the heat, plus family plans today. Got the RR 1/4 window adjusted. Found I needed to slide the regulator forward (though I had installed it back where it was based on the primer showing previous bolt locations).

Also gonna start tackling my non-working instrument cluster, found a blown fuse, need to track that down, maybe it is just that simple but I doubt it.

Last edited:
IMG_20190706_105743.jpg

Did you ever get the shift issue sorted? It almost sounds like the shift arm on the transmission may be the wrong length. Was it shifting correctly before the rebuild? Maybe a difference between column shift and floor shift? Just throwing out ideas.

Did you ever get the shift issue sorted? It almost sounds like the shift arm on the transmission may be the wrong length. Was it shifting correctly before the rebuild? Maybe a difference between column shift and floor shift? Just throwing out ideas.

Not yet. I've got Drive, neutral and reverse, no park. It did work fine before the resto. It is like the linkage between the arm off the trans and the arm off the console shifter either has too much play or just needs to be perfectly adjusted (which seems unusual). My plan of the moment since I have the gears I need to drive to the upholstery shop is to drive it to the transmission guy who rebuilt the trans and let him mess with it. Either he made a minor mistake in the rebuild (not likely but possible), or I made a mistake in the linkage install (and he can spot it and fix it quicker) or knows some trick I don't know, but instead of brain damage for me after my multiple failed attempts I assume fastest way to get to good is through him.

Finally got my repro tail light bezels after 3 month back order... Wow is the right one bad...
IMG_20190710_181738.jpg

IMG_20190710_181741.jpg

Left one is better.
IMG_20190710_181745.jpg

I will epoxy them in I guess

Guys I restore old rare pre-war Buicks... I LOVE the availability of repro parts for this car. Even this I can work with and am glad to have, while disappointing.

I am used to having to make stuff from scratch, searching YEARS for the elusive USED part to refurbish, or getting repro parts from Ford's or Chevy's and modifing them cause they are "close enough".

So you guys don't know how good you have it!

Now that said I expect better that this but I'm rolling on with it.

Guys I restore old rare pre-war Buicks... I LOVE the availability of repro parts for this car. Even this I can work with and am glad to have, while disappointing.

I am used to having to make stuff from scratch, searching YEARS for the elusive USED part to refurbish, or getting repro parts from Ford's or Chevy's and modifing them cause they are "close enough".

So you guys don't know how good you have it!

Now that said I expect better that this but I'm rolling on with it.
No excuse for junk like that and the Chinese chroming.....Sorry, I have to disagree.....

Maybe you should count how many repro pieces I used for the X.....So no I did not have it good with parts.....I will scour the earth before I succumb to high priced junk......Thats said you know just how picky I am....

Pre war cars are a whole different animal and that I agree.......

Justin, What you did on the X was on a whole 'nother level and I'm certainly not discounting that.

Justin, What you did on the X was on a whole 'nother level and I'm certainly not discounting that.
Brian

Trust me I knew what you were stating and your not incorrect.....We are fortunate for the availability but they could put a little more effort into the reproduction side to produce a better part....They already paid for the research and tooling why not just make it right? It doesnt cost anymore from what they did to produce a part....

Thats the part where I have an Ax to grind with the vendors.....So they cannot say "deal with it" and where else would you get it....Pay us and get stuck with an inferior part....This is 2019 and not 1980......

Thats my rant......

So no luck getting the taillight bezel to stay seated, so I asked YO to replace it.

I did figure out my gauge issue and corrected that.

Went out for a highway shake down today

You can't really hear the backfire off throttle, but and it is running not perfect at ideal. Kind of felt like it also needed to shift another time as it was running about 3500 @ 65ish.

Here is the gauge reading at the end of the drive. Temp held steady, oil pressure I thought remembered it being higher, but it never really deviated from that reading so... The discharge has me puzzled as well.
IMG_20190713_144624.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow the goal is to install the driver's side vent window and side glass and the off to the upholstery shop for headliner...

Brian the car is looking great and nice to see you driving it .
You can finally see all your hard work come together. .
It's beautiful .

Auto Transport Service
Back