• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detail gurus: I need your help on tail light hardware for '68 Charger

RT68440

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need a little bit of help. My '68 Charger had a total mismatch of hardware when we bought it and I'm trying to figure out what is correct, particularly for the tail light assemblies. I found what I believe is most of the correct stuff, but I want to get your expertise. Onto the pics:

These are the 1/4" nuts and bolts that hold the tail light brackets to the tabs on the tail light panel. There are 10 bolts with no washers and a "TR" on the head with a captured washer nut. I believe these to be original and correct to the car:

IMG_20161231_193841501 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Next are the mounting studs that go into the tail light housings and through the mounting brackets. I bought these from R/T Specialties as they were advertised as '68 Charger tail light studs and there are 10 to a kit, so this tells me that they are for the housings:

IMG_20161231_193914577 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Next are the #8 sheet metal nuts that hold the trim in place. There are 5 along the lower long piece of trim, 2 on each C shaped trim, and 1 on each small piece of trim between the tail lights:

IMG_20161231_194000487 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Next are the screws that hold the top piece of stainless trim to the trunk jamb. I bought #8 chrome screws that are the same that were used on the wheel well trim:

IMG_20161231_194054370 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

These are the nuts with the sealer in them. 2 of the tall skinny ones for the "Charger" emblem and 2 of the shorter fat ones for the "R/T" emblem:

IMG_20161231_194150655 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

The studs and nuts for the tail light bezels. I believe that these are correct as they look the same as the pictures of the reproduction tail light kits:

IMG_20161231_194331394_HDR by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

OK, now heres my confusion. I cant seem to get a definite answer on which fasteners hold the tail light housings to the brackets. According to all of the kits from Year One, Classic Industries, Parts Mix, Mega Parts, etc. they have the domed emblem type nuts as shown below:

tlc67 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Now my car had these on a couple of studs, but they also had a gold cad nut with a large washer. I also bought a set of 10 nuts from R/T Specialties that simply said Charger tail light nuts, but after getting them I really don't see a spot for them. Heres a picture of the nuts for the tail light housings to brackets.
On the far left is the nut that comes in the aftermarket kits, my car had 2 or 3 of them. In the middle is what the rest of the nuts were and what Ive seen in the few pictures that I could find, and on the far right is the nuts from R/T Specialties which I don't think is correct for anywhere on the tail lights.

IMG_20161231_194422174_HDR by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

Can you guys let me know if I'm on the right track with the hardware that I have so far, and let me know which style of nut is used on the housing to bracket studs? Thanks a bunch guys!!

I'll look at my survivor tomorrow and get back to you if not answered by then happy holidays

There is no replacement for original hardware........RT specialties stuff is either close to OE or not......

From what I remember is the Gold cad nuts with the large captive washer hold the housings to the brackets.

The chrome rings are held with the same nut/washer but have a black zinc finish

The screws for the the trunk lip trim are close, the originals are flatter on the top. I may have some originals, I will check tomorrow or take a pic of one off my 69....

The others seem correct to me....

Auto Transport Service
Back