• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Devastating video for almost any car guy to see

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
I'm not a FOMOCO fan but this is terrible no matter what cars you own.

that was brutal

nice Merc too, BLown BBC Merlin

KD
Thanks for posting this video. Truly tragic
to see a lifelong dream shattered in a matter
of seconds. The guy should have done a
"preflight" to ensure all systems go.
He knew there were problems that needed
attention. Hopefully anyone involved in the
collision wasn't seriously injured.
I'm lucky in the fact that I have an old
abandoned airport runway to test all aspects
of my project.
Brakes, good tires, and appropriate seat
belts. The three most important components
of any build.

How the hell was that thing street legal.....you can't even see over the hood.

Obviously too gung-ho with the 'loud pedal', and not enough time spent checking the 'whoa pedal'.

Looking at the one scene where they show the front wheels and tiny disc brake rotor.....It does show how horribly inadequate they would be against anything with that much power.
Brakes are important! I can only imagine how horrible it could have been had the driver been deep in the throttle and tried to stop.
No mention about the occupants of the black SUV. I do hope that they are okay.

Notice the difference in size and type of disc
front to rear.
These were run thru a computer simulation
to determine brake fade and failure rates on
a vehicle weighing in at 3300 lbs curb weight.
I'm in agreement that just from observation,
those front discs are wholly inadequate.
20190615_144810.jpg20190615_144651.jpg

Thanks, good video. Reminds me of why I recently installed 3 point seat belts...
That was just a result of cascading issues, much like the cause of most plane crashes.
The brakes, although small, would have been fine at those slow speeds, but they were overwhelmed by riding them. The real issue was the high idle, probably caused by the sticking throttle, although maybe it was the car's tune/gearing.
I thought he should have mentioned the occupants of the SUV - maybe an apology? It was a totally preventable accident, they should have pulled over as soon as the throttle started sticking.

Last edited:
thanks for posting, very educational! first thing I learned about the video is don't get in a 1200hp rod with a driver that lacks the talent to drive it!

driving a vehicle with a hanging throttle the first thing to do is hit the kill switch or turn the ignition off! I've had this happen a few times in my life, got the vehicles home safe without crashing or hurting somebody!

Can't help it....
There's something else that bothers me
about this incident. This guy was in full
panic mode and should never have been
placed in command of this much hp.
He saw this catastrophic development
over several seconds.
Evasive maneuvers right, left, 180,
emergency brake, engine shutdown?
Instead he says "hold on"?

All the talking about them, their safety, and the highly modified car. Shoulda put on the harnesses. The 1000HP car with a sticking throttle. How bad it was for this dude and the car owner/builder. What about the impact on the person or people in the minivan? Their injuries. Getting rear ended at 45MPH can be a neck breaker. The 280K spent on the car, probably ain't going to be near the liability settlement in court.... Sad story, but I feel more sympathy for the innocent that got harmed.
edit: As far as riding the brakes, they may have indeed been overheated. BUT, the way the driver was panicking and pumping the brakes, it looks like he may have lost the fluid pressure. Maybe a line or caliper blew. I would think that the video should have explained exactly what failed for sure.

I think the riding of the brakes would have caused the fluid to boil = loss of pressure = no brakes.

Inexperienced high HP driver. Equals problems. They should have checked it over before driving and worn the harnesses. There were several things he could have done besides rear end an SUV. No mechanical parking brakes? Couldn't slam it in park or reverse or first? Kill switch and parking brakes would have handled it.

Thanks for posting, KD. These old cars we all have sometimes set for long periods of time which got me into the habit of checking my brakes before leaving the lane out from my shop. My Coronet r/t has a blown 440 running real close to 1000 horse, I think I will start wearing the shoulder strap after seeing this video.

Looking at the one scene where they show the front wheels and tiny disc brake rotor.....It does show how horribly inadequate they would be against anything with that much power.
Brakes are important! I can only imagine how horrible it could have been had the driver been deep in the throttle and tried to stop.
No mention about the occupants of the black SUV. I do hope that they are okay.
Yes - exactly, NO mention of how the people they hit were were doing? Buddy's son was rear-ended two years ago and the guy that hit him was doing half the speed. Today he's still messed up with neck problems.

That sux all around. I had a mechanical linkage on my Six Pack ‘Cuda when I bought it. I don’t remember what I did, I was a teenager. But the linkage got stuck, and it was sliding all 4 wheels under full power. Luckily I hit a curb with the back wheel and it stopped it. The wheel was spinning so fast it didn’t even bend the axle. :D I fixed it by installing the factory vacuum setup and shut off rods. I think this guy was warned, and just thought nothing of it. He’s riding the brakes on God knows how much torque that big block Chevy was making... it probably boiled the brake fluid. I do feel bad for the guy. But it was completely avoidable. Glad no one was killed.

The problem as I see it, he didn't want to hit anything at first. He hit the brake, tried shifting, but he should have gotten into the curb on the right or left before getting to close to the intersection. This has happened to me. HIT the first thing possible that doesn't involve an intersection full of cars. I don't care if he had 200 thousand in it. I've been hit in the rear at 55, it doesn't feel very good. You can tell me all day long that it happens so fast you don't have time to react, instant right or left turn, NOW. First thing in you mind should not be your car and I'll bet you that's what was going through his head. I hate to see these things happen, but how about all those people. Another thing, posting a video telling the world that your car has a throttle that is sticking before you wipe it out.

Last edited:
The comment he makes at 1:52 shows his intelligence, what a moron.

Almost 10 years ago now I was it head on by a dope head, my back is f’d up. I have a strong distaste for morons behind the wheel.

It really sucks for the mini van he hit, but I’m glad he totaled his car. Tiny rubber band tires don’t belong on a car with that much power, and you sure as hell shouldn’t be shrugging off your brake system. When the throttle starting sticking they should have tried to fix it, or shut it down and gone home. And they shouldn’t even try to be doing accelerations at an intersection.

This wreck could have been completely avoided, and the fact they ignored everything, is completely ridiculous and stupid.

Very cool car. Sucks to see what happened to it. Glad they are okay and hopefully everyone else involved was okay.

Auto Transport Service
Back