• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Richard Petty Run Moonshine?

JR_Charger

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
I can't find anything on this, except that Lee did. I would have thought moonshine running would have been over by Richard's time, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know?

Interesting. I would generally think no, didn't Richard start late 50s?

Lee Petty was a pretty successful racer by the time Richard was driving age. Family could have enough money by then to not need to run moonshine.

Also Lee was very much into the business of the sport. And put his focus on that.

I would have thought moonshine running would have been over by Richard's time, but I could be wrong.
Although nowhere near as huge as it was in its' heydey, the product is still (get it? "still" :) ) being both
produced and transported....not that I'd know anything about such things, mind you. :lol:

My first thought was "no," but if they were running moonshine when NASCAR was founded in 48, and Richard was born in 37, than Richard might have caught the tail end of it. I'm going to go waaaay out on a limb and guess Richard was driving before 16, and Lee didn't raise Richard the precious snowflake way.

Auto Transport Service
Back