• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do while in the tree stand or blind?

68-500

Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
What do you guys do to pass the time in your deer blind? I find myself thinking of all the productive things I could be doing. And how much beef I can buy with the money I spent on a rifle, ammo, hunting license, tag, processing and diesel fuel. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the solitude and time with nature. But Sometimes I just get friggin bored.

I like to look at all the small things God put here for us. Take it all in, every ripple on the water, the sun rising, leaves or trees up close. I almost never get bored, especially when I watch Illinois idiots kayak in to take pictures of my decoys then shoot ducks in front of them. Those things make my day.

I have a bad habit of watching my eyelids... My hearing stinks but in the woods I really hear well as it’s peaceful, relaxing. I have a creek nearby so the water trickles by adds a nice effect... It’s so dang peaceful, till I see a deer! Then my heart beats out of my chest. I play around on my phone and video games.

A Lot of Soul Search, Prayer, and Reflection, all while admiring What has been Provided for Us. The other time planning what is on my Chore list, and When that will happen...

1104231005.jpg
1104230954.jpg
1104231005a.jpg

I have a bad habit of watching my eyelids... My hearing stinks but in the woods I really hear well as it’s peaceful, relaxing. I have a creek nearby so the water trickles by adds a nice effect... It’s so dang peaceful, till I see a deer! Then my heart beats out of my chest. I play around on my phone and video games.
At least you don't piss yourself listening to the trickles.:poke:.
I had a buddy do that, said it was a long walk back to the truck.
When my daughter comes with, she gets 5 minutes on electronics, 15 hunting. Pheasant hunting, she doesn't have the chance and it's her favorite. Gotta invite the youth and keep the tradition. Make it fun for them.

I do great upland bird hunting and waterfowl if I’m walking a creek to scare up some ducks. Just sitting my mind goes to wandering. Usually Ill post my boy up in a good funnel , than drive around to the other side of hunting ground then walk in towards him. We have been successful doing that but this year he’s working and Im out here sitting on my ***.

I am much like the OP. I do a lot of thinking, always listening and scanning, but thinking.
If I get bored, I pull out my trusty Readers Digest and do a little light reading.

I do great upland bird hunting and waterfowl if I’m walking a creek to scare up some ducks. Just sitting my mind goes to wandering. Usually Ill post my boy up in a good funnel , than drive around to the other side of hunting ground then walk in towards him. We have been successful doing that but this year he’s working and Im out here sitting on my ***.
You can always walk and jump deer if you don't want to sit. I take my single shot 12 and do that from time to time. Just take a few steps at a time and stop to look around.

What do you guys do to pass the time in your deer blind? I find myself thinking of all the productive things I could be doing. And how much beef I can buy with the money I spent on a rifle, ammo, hunting license, tag, processing and diesel fuel. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the solitude and time with nature. But Sometimes I just get friggin bored.
i pretty much feel the same way ! usually pass time reading fbbo or febo , checking out parts and planning projects just to pass time .

I was given and read this book when I was a kid. I was going to suggest it, but now it's apparently like 60-90$. Good book on how to stalk deer. Hopefully it's still in my old ammo box.
shopping.jpeg

Sitting in my stand, as soon as it is light enough to read, I open the most recent copy of "Great Lakes Pilot" which features stories about the Folklore, Fables, Features and Humor of the Great Lakes States.
Then I take a good 360 look around before reading a minute or two. Next I look up for another 360 look at all that has changed since my last look. I find this very effective, as I am not constantly turning my head and thus spook less deer. I may miss one that comes across the field at a dead sprint but is much easier for me to see what has changed than to constantly scan for a deer "body part" at the edge of the field. Less stress, more fun!!!

Of course, none of the above happens if I am bow hunting. Then I just sit and pay attention to the sounds and sights of nature and make my plan for drawing back the bow depending on which direction the deer enters the scene.

Last edited:
I like to spot and stalk. Thats why I generally post my son and I walk towards him. Gives him the chance at any I fail to see. Sometimes I think I walk to fast though, always slowing myself down.

A very old timer hunted with my Dad. This would be in the 1930’s-50’s , and again in the late 60’s early 70’s. I think Tony passed away about 1985.
Quite a few wore real native tanned moccasins. Tony shot many moose in their beds. He could feel all things under his feet as he worked his way to the moose. Dad and his buddies always talked about how good Tony was.
I still have Dad’s moccasins, rifles, knives, compass and other equipment.
Unfortunately I might have to hang up my rifle. It’s been a very good go though.

As long as food lion sells beef ill never be bored in a stand. I used to do that and then the realization that I'm wasting time hit me so I don't do stands anymore. I could just shoot the fools as they walk through the backyard but then I'd have to dress em, I'm not doing that either. I hate snow but food lion is ok

Take it from someone who's
passion for hunting has far
outweighed the discomforts.
For me, It's worth every
minute.
Been skunked more days
than I can count, but
always found the time
to pursue. Now that I'm
older, trudging thru
a foot of muck for a hundred
yards is darned near
impossible, but the
memories are vivid.
I always found a thermos
full of hot, black coffee to
be the deciding factor as
to wether or not to pack it
in for the day.

If I had to sit & wait I'd go nuts
but If I had a smart phone I'd come on FBBO pass the time

disclaimer;
this may upset a few out there, just My Opinion
you do you what ever blows your skirt up or makes you happy
I don't do that stuff, sit in stands or blinds for game,
never have liked any of them at all...
(I will do blind for Ducks/Geese, but that's about it, bored with that too)
I like to walk & hunt, stalk, maybe glass a bit off the top of ridge
or in a field/meadow or follow a game trail or creek line, shore line etc.
that's what I like to do when I'm hunting, not sitting & freezing :poke:

Why do people wear camo in a blind ?
I can see it on an open to the elements tree stand...

I never understood the sitting in a blind or on a stand,
sitting & waiting for hrs on end, a chance something might walk past
(most are baiting or sitting over a field for bait too, that's illegal here)
that's sitting & shooting, what ever walks by, not hunting for me...

Don't get me wrong, I like to hunt, hunted more than most,
& all over different states... (not much now)
I have nothing against people hunting at all, or from blinds/stands etc...
It's America in a nutshell
I understand why people are sitting in stands/blinds, I just don't like it myself...
Boring !!!!
That's not the reason why I'm into hunting, sitting on my *** freezing, bored...

Even in Alaska (it's freezing usually) I never liked sitting & waiting for prey...
To me, that's still a form of sitting 'not hunting', then shooting 'maybe'...

I don't hunt a lot nowadays either, not many mammals anymore
too many psycho's doing stupid **** or unlicensed valley dwellers
no nothings with guns, 'with a Rambo complex' or the poachers either
most all of them, brandy new camo/gear too, & 'not wearing any orange' etc.

I do still like pheasant & quail, while working the dog/s
I like to get some walking in too...
I haven't even done much of that of late,
gotten comfortable I guess...
Deer are so prolific it's like cattle, especially does
nice mature bucks (mule deer here) are smart/er,
they stay back a bit, are more cautious ...

I see so many trophy deer walk by my office window almost daily,
I don't really feel the need to hunt them...
If I needed the meat, I certainly know how to hunt them
& certain I could bag one...
I'm not a trophy hunter, at all, I'm a meat hunter...
I won't just kill the 1st fork horn that walks by either...

I enjoy getting out with a hunting buddy, shooting the breeze,
cutting up, laughing comradery...
The kill is only a very small part of a hunt, the hard part is after the kill...

It's same with Turkeys here, but I like to shoot them "If I could I would"

Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 011.JPG
Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 009.JPG

this is almost daily here
Sonora Deer Buck Aug 8th (1).JPG
Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 007.JPG
Deer 7 Big Bucks shedding Velvet 001.JPG

these are daily here
Sonora Turkeys #1.JPG

Sonora Turkeys #2.JPG

Last edited:
'Round here, the rednecks probably look at goat **** on the cell phone, I'd bet....
0a3cd0d07a4ebc1cc0d1068433b1738d--goats.jpg

Me? Hell, all those critters walk right by the house up here on the ridge every day (got a yard full of deer
right now, matter of fact) so I suppose if I were so inclined, I could just pull up a chair on the porch and
plink 'em...but then, I'd have to do something with them, so....
I've burned a few bazillion rounds out on my range over time but rarely at an actual critter - and then,
only when necessary.
Doesn't do a thing for me to "hunt", honestly.

a little lighter mood :lol:
Elk
Deer Elk scratching his balls like a boss.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back