• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between a Sure Grip and a Dana Power-Lok

Just to kick this around. I have a 489 rear end and have the open 741 pig in the car now. Will my axles work with the 489 or are the splines different? Thanks for the help. :BangHead:

Cranky, you have really confused me now. The rears I have had, '66 ish 742 had the bolt together clutch style, the 489 was a cone style, each of the Dana 60's had the bolt together clutch style, MUCH larger than the 8 3/4 style. I have no experience with later model stuff.
Yes, the cone style also has a bolt together diff. The Powr Lock in the Dana looks just like the one in the early 8 3/4's but yes, MUCH larger. The Track Loc came many years later. Not sure when they came out but never found one in a 60 that was for cars of the 60's/early 70's.

Just to kick this around. I have a 489 rear end and have the open 741 pig in the car now. Will my axles work with the 489 or are the splines different? Thanks for the help. :BangHead:
8 3/4 axles splines are all the same.

Other than an aftermarket 35 spline spool, ALL 8 3/4s axles are 30 spline.

Thanks for that info. That is what I needed before rebuilding the 489 to put into the car. Hate to spend money then find out I can't use the pig. I need to put new ring gear and pinon as well as the bearing's. Also, the rest of what it needs to be refreshed. Thanks again.

Not sure what has been said on later suregrips, but the cone system is poor at best.
I have rebuilt them but with the introduction of ‘true trac’ Gear drive diffs, I would not bother now.

Just stump up for the ‘true trac’ and put your troubles behind you.

HNY from Limey John

Not sure what has been said on later suregrips, but the cone system is poor at best.
I have rebuilt them but with the introduction of ‘true trac’ Gear drive diffs, I would not bother now.

Just stump up for the ‘true trac’ and put your troubles behind you.

HNY from Limey John

Hey John.... I know squat about drivelines ?

What Suregrip units were used in the 8 3/4 Diffs from factory in 1969 Charger R/T's ?

Reason I ask is mine still works great at 100,0000+ miles, but wondering 'when' so to speak ?.... as I plan on redoing the 440 Magnum for the first time pretty soon.
Any ideas on this ?

I found and read the link at the start of this thread, mine is the '489' case as original un-touched.... but I'm wondering if being a Nov 1968 Car it somehow could have gotten a clutch type because like I said the "suregrip" still works so well in it at 100,000+ Miles, albeit, the car has been babied ?

Last edited:
In general, a 489 in a '69 car would be the cone type. I suspect some early '69's may have gotten the clutch type. But Nov '68 is a way into the '69 production year. Only way to be sure is look at it. My opinion.

Hi CH340,

I have had 68 and 69 R/T's, both with original Mopar 'dana' clutch units!
As you probably know they are date coded on the dana units and I have never seen a 69 one yet?
But it could quite easily get into a 69 car depending on factory and build date...

They have their problems as well as the later Auburn cones!

I personally would go true-trac now!
Gear drives have no resistance in normal driving and full locker under load...
Haven't heard anyone braking them (as yet) but I have broken many 'Chinese' lockers (cone and clutch) lol
What's not to like lol...

Hi CH340,

As you probably know they are date coded on the dana units and I have never seen a 69 one yet?
But it could quite easily get into a 69 car depending on factory and build date...

Haven't heard anyone braking them (as yet) but I have broken many 'Chinese' lockers (cone and clutch) lol
Price

Hi CH340,

Thx so much for this....
I think best to just contact Dr Diff this spring and order whatever Pumpkin he rec's.... along with whatever Axles/Brgs etc as I have one seal starting to leak as well.

My pleasure CH340.

I can afford a diff but not GAS!

Once you’ve broken a few Chinese lockers and the grief you get from Folks, I will never go back...

Original true trac’s Were made in the USofA but now I’ve seen Indonesia?

My pleasure CH340.

I can afford a diff but not GAS!

Once you’ve broken a few Chinese lockers and the grief you get from Folks, I will never go back...

Original true trac’s Were made in the USofA but now I’ve seen Indonesia?

Well that will present a problem for me, because.... I don't BUY offshore until I've exhausted all avenues within North American.... and it's obvious there is NO other choice ?
So... I'll phone and if the Dr. Diff stuff is 'offshore' then I guess I'm rebuilding my 'Cone' type if that's what's there and replacing the Axle Brg and one leaky seal.
We'll see I guess..... maybe just some of the parts/castings are offshore and the Labor/Jobs etc are done domestic as 2nd choice

Love 8 3/4 rear ends. Back in the day my 68 coronet ran low 11s with an 3.91 8 3/4 rear and never had any problems.
We (I helped a buddy run his car) started breaking 8 3/4's when the car got into the low 11's but the car was also running a 4 speed and launching at 6k. After breaking 3 (shaved teeth) the car got a Dana 60 and more power and got into the mid/high 10's.

We (I helped a buddy run his car) started breaking 8 3/4's when the car got into the low 11's but the car was also running a 4 speed and launching at 6k. After breaking 3 (shaved teeth) the car got a Dana 60 and more power and got into the mid/high 10's.

68 beast was an automatic, consistency was everything
This guy's car was consistent as the best ones with automatics! He could shift and had the right clutch and shifter for consistency. I was good too to the point where some didn't believe I had stick in my car. They had to go look inside. Had several at the track come up to my buddies car in the pits and ask us where we got the 4 speed automatic. We would just point to the car and said 'go look' lol

I was good too to the point where some didn't believe I had stick in my car.
I like being reminded of this. I will always row my own! THAT is a big part of the enjoyment I get driving and racing my Roadrunner.

I like being reminded of this. I will always row my own! THAT is a big part of the enjoyment I get driving and racing my Roadrunner.
I finally found an 833 last month that's newly rebuilt and did a trade to get it! It's not a Hemi box but my engine is a basic mild build and my car is light so I'm not worried about hurting it....unless I've lost my touch and grind the gears out of it lol but the last time to give it a shot, I still had it :D Been a long time since having anything with a stick in it and sure miss them.

My 64 Savoy with a stock 74 440 auto big tires shucked all the ring gear teeth (42 case) in 20 runs, spool and 35 spline axels

Auto Transport Service
Back