• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences in ESPO Leaf Springs

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
Going to replace the 10 year old Mopar XHD leaf spring on my 69 RR. Sent Laura a email for pricing and this is a part of her response.

"The ones Mopar considers XHD are the 6/7 where the last leaf on left is half leaf and last two leaves on right are half leaves. The are $250 for the pair. The heavy duty spring is 6 full leaves and they are also $250/pair; Not sure why Mopar calls the lighter one XHD, never made sense to me LOL! Guess just cause it's the performance spring for the 440 and Hemi's."

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 6 leaf heavy duty springs. She cant tell me the spring rates of the 2 so a guy can compare them. I do like the idea of having the same number of leafs on each side so the car will set level side to side, but does anybody know if that will promote wheel hop. There was a reason Mopar used the staggered set up originally. Any of you guys ever try the HD 6 leafs?

I read that the extra spring on one side is for the extra torque.
My car has the XHD and it sits perfectly level, the half spring shouldn't push enough on the rest of the spring to change ride height. And yes the extra half was for the extra torque. If you're unsure then go with the XHD just for the reason it's a "fun fact" conversation with your friends.

I just put Espos on my Satellite a few months ago. I went with the stock Hemi springs - same as what was on the car. I'm pleased with how they look.

About 3 years ago I replaced the springs from ESPO on the Charger 318, nice, ride height perfect, great prices too.

Did you guys go with the stock ride height springs. I was looking at the ESPO site and saw that they offer stock, 1" drop, and 2" drop.

I'd like the replace the rear springs on my '67 Barracuda, and will have to order new springs for my '69 Charger and I'm having a hard time predicting where the car will sit, and if I should go with stock height or lower. I want it to sit a little higher than it is now overall, but not looking for the 70's look with the backend up in the air!

Hard to tell if where I am sitting now is at "Stock Ride Height" or my cars have settled some and stock would be just a touch higher than it is right now.

What Laura is telling me is that the XHD factory 440/HEMI springs that have 5 full leafs on both sides and then a 1/2 leaf extra on the left, and 2 - 1/2 leafs on the right are not as heavy duty as the 6 leaf set that they sell. She makes it sound like you could have ordered a heavy duty suspension on any car back then and it would have come with the 6 leaf setup. So this is why I am having an issue of which one to go with.

Last edited:
I have asked this question before. WHY do some people assume that a set of springs with more leaves on one side will sit crooked? It is the ARCH that sets height not the number of leaves. All hemi,six pack, and four speed 440 cars came with different leave bundles on each side FOR A REASON! Did they ALL sit funny? Lol.

I considered a 1" increase when I ordered mine, but the car rides so nice, I didn't want to alter anything from stock, so I went with the stock replacements for mine. They lifted it a noticeable amount compared to the tired, sagging 52 year old springs. It looks just right to me.

I considered a 1" increase when I ordered mine, but the car rides so nice, I didn't want to alter anything from stock, so I went with the stock replacements for mine. They lifted it a noticeable amount compared to the tired, sagging 52 year old springs. It looks just right to me.

Totally agree with having the stock ride height, that is what I am after.
I have a 451 with about 550 hp in the car and am wondering if the 6 leaf HD springs are an upgrade over the staggered 6&7 XHD which Laura says are weaker. She tells me they sell an equal amount of the 2, but apparently not to any body on this site lol.

When i ordered, we didn't discuss the HD springs. I just ordered their stock replacements for my car - which is a stock Hemi/4-speed. For whatever that's worth. Looks good and rides nice, so I'm happy.

If you meant mine, sublimed70, here it is. This is stock, not +1". New tires in the second pic.

IMG_2609.jpg

Image-1.jpg

I just ordered a set of the 6 leaf springs with a -1” drop. I haven’t got around to putting them in yet though.

Should add that I have 2 in drop spindles in the front as well.

Just installed the ESPO +1 440, HD 6 Leafs, on each side!! Very nice quality!! Glad I went with ESPO!!

inCollage_20200529_211903198.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back