• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc Brake Question

Isaiah Estrada

Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
Scored this F body disc brake setup for $100!! Was a bit ugly when I got it

A2AC5690-457C-4E76-9F9F-8BC508916716.jpeg

After a good solvent bath and sand blasting, the setup looks great!

ACCCD1EB-4EDF-4F8D-8CA4-459288F15EF4.jpeg

I’ve only ever really dealt with drum brakes, and the only other Mopar disc brake setup I’ve worked on / set up was a 72 C Body setup on my 68 New Yorker. On the C Body setup (at least ‘69 - ‘73) those cars use Pin Type calipers. The F Body setup I have uses sliding calipers. I’m not quite sure exactly how they work, but given their design - I’m wondering if it’s safe to reuse this caliper bracket?

1CDAFEAC-C347-40FD-97B9-0C8F126829FE.jpeg

A3224AAA-CD18-4CCF-9679-138ADF9EBD63.jpeg

Looks real clean, but the machined surface looks pretty pitted. The other bracket is nice and has a smooth surface. This is the only one. Not sure if it affects the sliding action of the caliper. Thanks for any help!

Going to be using this setup to swap the total contact drum brake system on my 62 Chrysler 300 with discs!

The FMJ spindles have the wrong geometry for A, B, and E body conversions. Not sure about C body. The 73’ and up A body disc brake spindles are they prefered ones for this conversion..

The set up you have is for floating calipers and is very easy to figure out once you have the caliper. They drop on the top of the rotor and are secured with caliper/pad securing metal clips which you have showing in your first picture (attached to the caliper brackets).
Those caliper brackets are a bit skanky for sure. I might look for better ones.

The FMJ spindles have the wrong geometry for A, B, and E body conversions. Not sure about C body. The 73’ and up A body disc brake spindles are they prefered ones for this conversion..

The set up you have is for floating calipers and is very easy to figure out once you have the caliper. They drop on the top of the rotor and are secured with caliper/pad securing metal clips which you have showing in your first picture (attached to the caliper brackets).
Those caliper brackets are a bit skanky for sure. I might look for better ones.

Thanks for the info! I actually bought this conversion for a ‘62 300. The ‘76-‘79 FMJ spindles allow you to convert ‘57-‘64 Full Size Mopars to discs.

9F109BA1-A8ED-45F2-BB9D-312A9405831F.jpeg

Haven’t brought her home yet, but in preparation of doing so - I wanted brakes to be the first thing I take care of on it!

I actually have a new set from Dr. Diff - so I’ll go ahead and use those. I figured if these were still good however, I’d use em!

The FMJ spindle is actually a knuckle.
The "geometry" is only slightly different from the A body unit. It has a slight tendency to increase toe-out with long suspension travel but it also has better camber gain.
For general street use, it will be fine and you'll never notice any difference. For a hardcore road racer, you would but it isn't a deal breaker.

Thanks for the info! I actually bought this conversion for a ‘62 300. The ‘76-‘79 FMJ spindles allow you to convert ‘57-‘64 Full Size Mopars to discs.

View attachment 1374930

Haven’t brought her home yet, but in preparation of doing so - I wanted brakes to be the first thing I take care of on it!

I actually have a new set from Dr. Diff - so I’ll go ahead and use those. I figured if these were still good however, I’d use em!

cool car for sure!!. Like i said I’m not 100% sure on the nuances of C body conversions.

Not really sure why Kerndog disagrees with what I said before as the fmj spindles DO change the geometry when used on converting A, B, and E body cars. Doesn’t mean people haven’t used them, but preferred method for Most people when converting early A, B, and E body cars to floating style caliper disc brakes is to use the 73 and up A body spindles. i have done several conversions in A and B body cars and know a little about this.

for all intents and purposes your fmj ones will probably work. if your C body has a sway bar mounted in the front you’ll want to see if the end links will clear the calipers when turning lock to lock. Otherwise you’ll need to mount the spindles so the calipers are rear mounted. The caliper brackets your have could be filed across the flats to ensure there are no raised spots and like get away with using Them.

cool car for sure!!. Like i said I’m not 100% sure on the nuances of C body conversions.

Not really sure why Kerndog disagrees with what I said before as the fmj spindles DO change the geometry when used on converting A, B, and E body cars. Doesn’t mean people haven’t used them, but preferred method for Most people when converting early A, B, and E body cars to floating style caliper disc brakes is to use the 73 and up A body spindles. i have done several conversions in A and B body cars and know a little about this.

for all intents and purposes your fmj ones will probably work. if your C body has a sway bar mounted in the front you’ll want to see if the end links will clear the calipers when turning lock to lock. Otherwise you’ll need to mount the spindles so the calipers are rear mounted. The caliper brackets your have could be filed across the flats to ensure there are no raised spots and like get away with using Them.

62 predates the C Body so the suspension is a little different! A friend of mine provided me with a step by step guide on the conversion as well. He likes to mount the calipers forward facing but either way works from what I know.

Forward facing is best as the hard brake line outlet is usually rearward from the control arm, thus it allows for the best routing of the soft line. On early A with sway bar and B bodies 69 and prior with sway bar you need to mount the caliper to the rear as the end links definately hit the calipers when turning lock to lock.
sounds like you have a good handle on it. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back