• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disc/Drum Combination Distribution Valve - where to buy that DOESN'T LEAK??

I suspect the fittings on the lines. The ones from my master cylinder are originals from a 73-76 front disc A body car so they are maybe 50 years old. The threads do get worn after multiple on/off sessions.
If your fittings are "seasoned", your problem may lie there.
The hard lines were all replaced during the restoration. But it doesn't mean they're holding fluid. The car is still up on the lift so I'll check the fittings each day.

I have had nothing but trouble with reproduction dist blocks. Incomplete machining, top port from master at an angle , lines extremely difficult stop leaking. The next time it comes up, it's all going into the trash and will see what the aftermarket world has to offer. Never had a problem anywhere else in the system. Also, I use dot5, not dot4. Not repainting another engine compartment or firewall over that again.

I have had nothing but trouble with reproduction dist blocks. Incomplete machining, top port from master at an angle , lines extremely difficult stop leaking. The next time it comes up, it's all going into the trash and will see what the aftermarket world has to offer. Never had a problem anywhere else in the system. Also, I use dot5, not dot4. Not repainting another engine compartment or firewall over that again.
If I have to start replacing brake system components, I'm switching to DOT 5 too.

If I have to start replacing brake system components, I'm switching to DOT 5 too.
It sure ain't cheap...The single quart of NAPA brand DOT 5 was $35 compared to $8 or 9 for the DOT 3.
I went through a LOT in the past couple of years when sorting out my brakes.

It sure ain't cheap...The single quart of NAPA brand DOT 5 was $35 compared to $8 or 9 for the DOT 3.
I went through a LOT in the past couple of years when sorting out my brakes.
It's not cheap. But I have to repaint the inner fender because the m/c brake line leaked a few years ago. The paint costs more.

Yes, the paint is expensive, but look at what you have to do before and after the paint. The cost of dot 5 is higher, but not compared to the possible alternative. Yes, and it's not if it happens, but when. Two of my cars had to have the engine bays only, redone because of master cyl failure. I don't know, it's always got to be something!

It looks like the line has fluid on the tube nut threads. I would double check that first before blaming the valve. A minute leak may take a long time to make a drop. I would clean it and blow it off well and look every day to be sure. . Remember a leak does not drip from the top.
Turns out three of the fittings were able to be tightened about 1/8 turn. That could be the difference, we'll see.
BTW, last week I picked up this set of crow's feet flare nut wrenches. They were a game changer, as regular wrenches wouldn't have fit with the headers right next to the distribution block.
20240120_194446.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back