• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor issues

69 Net,
You have a lot to learn. In post #8 you say the engine has a lopey cam. The lope [ engine shaking ] is the engine misfiring [ missing ] . The additional overlap from big-ger [ lopey ] cams causes the fresh incoming mixture to be diluted with exh gas which causes incomplete combustion...rough running.
And it WILL take 30* at idle; might need to check timing marks. Millions of cars with small, smooth idling cams idled at 24-26*....& big-ger cams need more.

Back to you issue of the mechanical not advancing with RPM rise beyond 22deg. Which I assume means your 18 initial only goes to 22. Or 4 degree mechanical advance. Correct?

If the distributor has hardened grease (stock counter weight) or very heavy springs, that maybe issue. Or some one modified for locking it out. Need to pull apart and inspect.

Back to you issue of the mechanical not advancing with RPM rise beyond 22deg. Which I assume means your 18 initial only goes to 22. Or 4 degree mechanical advance. Correct?

If the distributor has hardened grease (stock counter weight) or very heavy springs, that maybe issue. Or some one modified for locking it out. Need to pull apart and inspecti
I returned the new distributor and actually got the new one last night. I put it on and it fired right up. So it was bad out of the box. I set total timing to 36 and just drove it. Runs really good. I'll probably still take the old one apart and try and fix it for a backup.

To answer your question, yes the original distributor only advanced about 4 degrees and the timing was super shaky. I thought it may have been locked but doesn't appear to be.

Auto Transport Service
Back