• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Phasing

mrbone

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Going through the many 'chapters' of new MSD ignition upgrade..

There is a reason MSD includes instructions on rotor phasing with their ignitions.
I mistakenly thought since my engine ran fine and I wasn't going to alter distributor position, I should be fine- wrong.

Only after the 6AL is running did I realize I need to lockout my distributor. Now the timing curve is altering the rotor phasing.
But if you don't have an MSD distributor, how do you adjust phasing on a MP or similar distributor???
Couldn't find ANY info other than the adjustable rotor that come on MSD dist.

So, here's the solution I came up with late last night.
I made a simple spacer to set the vacuum canister out the amount I was off, since the dizzy is locked out and not using it now.
The vacuum advance normally changes the position of the module. The spacer just moves the module the exact amount I was off. See pic.

-Hope this helps

View attachment 979662

068EECD4-6962-41E2-B23D-DD8619C26001.jpeg

"Module"? The Mopar distributors have pickups and reluctors, no modules.
You set the air gap between the pickup and reluctor to .008 and let 'er rip.

They sell star wheels which your can change position on shaft.

Which work great, I have used them. Of course to do this there is the part where you have to cut a hole in a cap and see if you can watch the spark while running with a timing light...or I think I found an easier way. They used to make clear caps years ago in the aftermarket as kind of a gimmick. I picked one up and found that I can easily see if I am where I should be on the inductor as the rotor approaches the next position. One last comment, out of about 10 distributors that I have worked on (I have a Sun machine and have done a bunch) I only found one out of phase (though that one was pretty bad and came out of car that ran like crap).

Interesting comments..
*note: if you speak with certain distributor mfg company's, they call a 'pickup' a "module".
My topic was to help someone in a similar situation with regard to distributor phasing.

Specifically, I have never read or found any info on adjusting rotor phase on a MP type distributor.
Nor have I seen an 'off center' reluctor to adjust a distrbutor's phase'??

I just wanted to offer a quick and simple solution.
Minimal down time- hour to fab and no cost.

BTW: the chi-com dizzy cap I purchased to drill a hole in, fit so bad I busted a rotor when I started my engine.
The rotor actually hit the cap and bent the terminal, the fit was so poor.

Hope this helps, AJ

That's true. I guess I've just never heard of a factory distributor being "out of phase".
Seems like that shouldn't ever happen with factory stuff? I guess it could if a supplier/
manufacturer for Ma had shoddy QC ...

Mopar Action tech Richard Ehernberg use to sell the modified star wheels on ebay and website. Haven't seen them on ebay for a while.

Auto Transport Service
Back