• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I need to balance the crank?

Did a check on 383 pistons. On paper, the SpeedPro 2315 +0.030 forged piston/pin is within 2 grams of the factory std bore cast piston/pin. I don't know if I'd balance that it even if I was not on a budget.

I just weighed my factory original piston assy from my 67 440 and the +0.030 forged replacement which I was referring too earlier. This is from my 440 that I did not balance. Looks like the +0.030 forged piston is <20 grams heavier, assuming the factory rods weigh the same and not accounting for the oil I did not clean off the SpeedPro piston assy.

Last edited:
Back in the day I was a dumb kid. My 1st car 68 Road Runner 4 speed. It had a transplanted 440, Cast iron 6 pac. Racing it at Milan Dragway, it lost about 15psi oil pressure. I could hear a ticking. Drove it home 45 miles. Puled the pan in my dads garage and found #5 rod spun. Crank looked fine. I pulled the head and piston/rod. Polished the crank with 400 grit. Then went to the dealer and ordered one new rod, $45 in 74. Who knew you could get used rods or have them resized? I didn't. When it showed up (10 days) it was much larger than the rest. In it went. Ran that motor for years after. Eventually I "rebuilt" it and put it in a Dart. By now I knew that it had one 6 pac rod and 7 LY rods. Swapped the one rod turned the crank, new rings, bearings, valve job.
Doug
So, in effect, you taped a washer to 1 blade of your 8 bladed "ceiling fan"...
:lol:

So, in effect, you taped a washer to 1 blade of your 8 bladed "ceiling fan"...
:lol:
Probably more like a lug nut. Never noticed it. But like I said I had minimal experience. I had no mentors on how to do anything. It started with slot cars. I wanted to buy a tube chassis car for $10. My Dad asked me how much I could build it for. I said about $3. I told him I didn't know how. He told me to figure it out. Built many after that. Same with cars. He let me go at it. Eventually taught myself how to fix anything on a car. With no internet
Doug

When I was 12 or 13, I asked my dad if I could rebuild the outboard motor. He said "okay". That was the beginning and end of his involvement. I tore that sucked down and rebuilt it siting on the concrete basement floor with a 100 watt light bulb overhead. I still have that motor and use it a few times a year.

Auto Transport Service
Back