• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do not do business with this guy

696pack

Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Do not do business with this guy. The name and address I have for him is:
Adams Auto Sales and Service
113 Federal Rd.
Livermore, Maine 04253-3036

His Ebay I.D. is adamsauto.2008

He won an Ebay aution of mine for a no shift steering column and never paid. Send him several emails about it with no response. I then filed a non payment claim with Ebay.

He THEN responded saying I was trying to go around Ebay's new policy of everyone having to go through PayPal for payment of auction items. This auction took place prior to this new policy which I explained. I also asked him to READ the payment and shipping instructions in my auction that he was directed to in large, bold, Red print. See for yourself at this link for the auction. It is all spelled out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190265101863&viewitem=

Then he says I was non responsive with shipping cost.
I reminded him that he had sent me an email that he was over nighting payment, which never showed up. After that he never responded to my emails.

Then he claims to have called me twice and that due to delays and having to get the customers car out of the shop he put an Ididit column in the car.

I said send me the phone bill showing my number on it as I had never received any phone calls on this item but my phone number is in the auction for anyone to see.

This guy can't make up his mind as to what his story or lie he is going to tell from minute to minute.

I told him I would spread the word about his action and this is what I am doing.You have all been warned and alerted to this guys actions.

I have had this column boxed up waiting for payment since a few days after the auction ended, what a pain in the *** this guy turned out to be.

There seems to be more flacky buyers on Ebay now that there is no way to leave negative feedback for them so they have no fear of just walking away from an auction they won without paying, which wastes the time and money of the sellers.

Rant over.

Last edited:
How do you know he didn't get scared?

Do not do business with this guy. The name and address I have for him is:
Adams Auto Sales and Service
113 Federal Rd.
Livermore, Maine 04253-3036

He won an Ebay aution of mine for a no shift steering column and never paid. Send him several emails about it with no response. I then filed a non payment claim with Ebay.

He THEN responded saying I was trying to go around Ebay's new policy of everyone having to go through PayPal for payment of auction items. This auction took place prior to this new policy which I explained. I also asked him to READ the payment and shipping instructions in my auction that he was directed to in large, bold, Red print. See for yourself at this link for the auction. It is all spelled out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190265101863&viewitem=

Then he says I was non responsive with shipping cost.
I reminded him that he had sent me an email that he was over nighting payment, which never showed up. After that he never responded to my emails.

Then he claims to have called me twice and that due to delays and having to get the customers car out of the shop he put an Ididit column in the car.

I said send me the phone bill showing my number on it as I had never received any phone calls on this item but my phone number is in the auction for anyone to see.

This guy can't make up his mind as to what his story or lie he is going to tell from minute to minute.

I told him I would spread the word about his action and this is what I am doing.You have all been warned and alerted to this guys actions.

I have had this column boxed up waiting for payment since a few days after the auction ended, what a pain in the *** this guy turned out to be.

There seems to be more flacky buyers on Ebay now that there is no way to leave negative feedback for them so they have no fear of just walking away from an auction they won without paying, which wastes the time and money of the sellers.

Rant over.[/QUOTEI'm an ebay buyer and seller
I'm an ebay buyer and seller, and I was a part of getting the payment rules changed. We don't know the person we are sending our money to. And sellers who where wanting money orders and such where rip off artist. They know the average guy can't afford to cross state lines to sue a seller for $100.00 or the item they paid for.
Under the new rules when I go to paypal and pay you I've done my part. And if you don't put the item in my hands in 30 days paypal refunds my money and they go after you. And in this case the person just plain got cold feet about sending his money to an unknown person. Under the new system that same person would have paid you. I made the money order mistake one time and got burned for $3,650,00. Did you ever offer to let the person use paypal?

So, we have someone willing to admit that they had a hand in this new policy.

I can tell you that I ABSOLUTELY disagree. As I stated in my auction "I expect this requirement will be short lived as it is against the free enterprise laws. Ebay is an AUCTION site and should not be imposing payment requirements which is between sellers and buyers. If you don't like a seller's payment requirements then don't bid on their auctions."
This is purely profit driven on Ebays part as they now own PayPal now and charge a transaction fee on every payment that the seller receives to the tune of 4% which is not only on the goods but the shipping cost that the seller makes no money on. With this in mind as well as the auction fees it can sometimes add up to 20% out of the sellers gross incoming payment of the goods being sold. Thanks but no thanks.
Did you ever think about the protection of the seller? I am more interested in getting paid in GOOD funds for and item that may very well be long gone before the "bad check" comes back to me, and then with return fees from my bank deposited in.
I have been selling cars and parts through Hemmings long distance for 40 years and never had the problems that Ebay has created with these new policies. We have mail fraud laws that protect buyers that does not require THEM to do anything but make the report, so your statement of "the average guy can't afford to cross state lines to sue a seller for $100.00 or the item they paid for" does not hold water.

While we are on the subject, Ebay has a new deal that does not allow you to finish listing your item without giving the weight of the item you are listing so it will compute the shipping cost for the buyer to see, and more likely be a determining factor in what they bid. This is NEVER accurate and always LOW. This leads to more problems between buyers and sellers. On this particular auction you can see the shipping shown as $13.29. The actual UPS shipping cost with no shipping, handling, or box fee by me was $35.83. to this buyer. Over 2 1/2 times their estimate. Who is suppose to eat this when the arguement begins?

Ebay is cutting their own throat with these new policies and are beginning to feel it and complain about it. If they are not careful and get this under control there WILL be another player that will step up and take their position that they used to be the KING of. They are trying to model themselves after Amazon and think that their real money is in the "store" business. If I want to shop in a store I will go to one or deal directly with that "store" on THEIR web site.

I have been selling and buying items on eBay for several years, and have had only 1 bad experience (the seller misrepresented the item). I always paid with a money order and required payment with a money order. I dropped my PayPal account because of scam artists always trying to get into my account. I didn't like it when eBay changed their feedback policy, but I stopped using them entirely, when they changed the payment policy to PayPal only. I have no intention of using them again until they drop that requirement. Instead, I'll list my parts on the free Mopar forums.

When did this change come about? I was not notified by ebay. I have not listed anything since the feedback policy change and am definitely not going to do so with this BS change in payment policy. Anyone with half a brain knows that ebay does not change any polices that do not benefit their bottom line ... period. I don't care what justifications they try to feed their customers. If you buy into any of it, well ... I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to talk to you about.

Last edited:
There are still some people on there I have noticed that say they won't take paypal MO only.

There are still some people on there I have noticed that say they won't take paypal MO only.

I noticed that as well when I popped on there after reading this thread. I am wondering how ebay is going to police that. Perhaps at some point, they will just automate it and place a disclaimer saying that all payments will have to be made through Paypal (even if it says differently in the payment/body areas).

Well (hate to say it) but it's their site, and I guess they can (try) to do anything they think they can get away with.

Personally, I think they shouldn't charge a fee for using their required payment method IF they're gonna take a percentage of the sale as well.

On the other hand......B.J. charges you to put your car in the auction. They charge extra if you want "prime time". They charge you when it sells. They also charge you to be a bidder whether you bid or not. And they will charge you when you buy something.

Hate to say it, but the people that attend their events aren't running for the hills. But they AREN'T the average working stiff like most on ebay.

I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to talk to you about.

Hey Ben:

Let me know if it's near Flagstaff - might be interested. Not so much if it's the Tucson area though - just too hot down there...:grin:

Ray

The new payment rules are designed solely to line Ebay's pockets with more cash......and the increased final valuation fees.........period.

They don't give a rat's rear about the little guys and how they were "suffering" receiving those evil money orders.....(yeah right....I actually got to KEEP more of MY OWN MONEY when they sent me one)......Paypal (an Ebay owned company) is suddenly the savior of the sellers and buyers alike!!

When Microsoft so often violated anti-trust laws, it took time to iron it all out. Ebay's day is comin' too. They are a greedy money grubbin' lot who does NOT listen to the vast majority of it's sellers (who MAKE them their millions).....they rather listen to "cha-ching" as their registers sing with the sounds of increased fees and financial burdens (and inconveniences) of their membership.

I've been a buyer AND seller for a LONG time....and I can tell you that the new rules are straight out of the Ebay bank vault. :mad:

It seems they are trying to push away the little guys and cater more to the stores - in terms of business owners... All those fees are a tax write off for someone running a business. Their policies are not gong to scare off that type of seller and I think that eBay is fine with losing the rest...

Well (hate to say it) but it's their site, and I guess they can (try) to do anything they think they can get away with.

Personally, I think they shouldn't charge a fee for using their required payment method IF they're gonna take a percentage of the sale as well.

On the other hand......B.J. charges you to put your car in the auction. They charge extra if you want "prime time". They charge you when it sells. They also charge you to be a bidder whether you bid or not. And they will charge you when you buy something.

Hate to say it, but the people that attend their events aren't running for the hills. But they AREN'T the average working stiff like most on ebay.

I certainly am not complaining about Ebays auction fees as this was the part of the original core business and these are expected. What I am complaining about is them FORCING sellers to recieve THEIR money through a seperate company they own and profit from. As I pointed out earlier their new policy on showing the shipping charges is just wrong and another source of dispute between buyer and seller.

Ebay has forgotten who their original core customers were that put them on the map. It has gone from being individually owned by a woman who created it as a way to trade her duplicate Pez dispensers for others, to a hugh corporated owned and run company that is looking to maximize profits in every corner of the business at the EXPENSE of their original core customer. Now in a society of free enterprise, they are entititled to do so, however I think that it is going to eventually have a devastating negative effect on the company as opposed to keeping the original core customer happy.

As for PayPal, I have been a customer of theirs since the days of them sending you $5.00 for bringing them a new customer. In those days there were NO fees and they made their money from the interest generated from the money transfers that sat in their accounts during the "float" before it was actually transfer from buyer to seller. It was designed for sellers that were NOT in business to be able to let buyers use a credit card. Everybody was happy. Now that corporate Ebay owns them that was not good enough, they have gotten greedy with this and again gotten away from the core business that created PayPal in the first place.

Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves.

One other thing. I constantly see on the Net people complaining about getting screwed through transactions on ebay and other internet venues and think that these venue are somehow responsible and should be held accountable somehow for this. They are really just simply an advertising or marketing venue. No different than running an ad in Hemiings print book or a newspaper for you item for sale or some thing you want to buy. After that, the actual transaction is between the seller and buyer. If their is fraud on the sellers part they are subject to heavy mail fraud charges, for small or large sums of money. We are grown ups, there is no Santa Claus, or free lunches so why are these people expecting Ebay or any other online venue to babysit them? Do they try to hold the newspaper responsible for something they bought and are not happy with? I think not.

I agree Darryl. I've done business through PayPal as long as you have, and like you I wasn't happy when ebay bought it. Ya just had to figure they were gonna get the little guy by doing it.

Now....IF they really cared (which we all know they don't) they could put themselves back in the favor of the little guy by DROPPING the PayPal fees, and go back to making money off the "float".

But I doubt that will happen. At least not until they start loosing a large amount of business to some new upstart competitor who (hopefully) won't sell out when approached by ebay to do so.

and monkeys could fly out all our asses as well.........bout as much chance

The tied down to paypal was not what we where trying to do. We where trying to be sure our money was safe when we sent it. You folks should take the fee complaints to ebay and paypal. You'll never solve anything on these boards. So far as mail fraud, it is not fraud to send a money order as payment for an item purchased on a web site. Mail fraud is when a person sends you an advertisement in the mail. And don't deliver when you buy it.
I tried that on my 3grand. Your always going to have that 10% that ruins things for everyone. And that happened in this case. And so far as shipping you don't have to get just cost. You know what your time and gas is worth. A good thing I'm seeing sellers do is to tell the bidders they recoup these things in shipping. Myself when I started doing that, I stopped getting complaints about shipping costs. I'm also seeing sellers put in +3% of winning to cover paypal charges.

BTW, I forgot to list this guys Ebay screen name which is:

adamsauto.2008

The tied down to paypal was not what we where trying to do. We where trying to be sure our money was safe when we sent it. You folks should take the fee complaints to ebay and paypal. You'll never solve anything on these boards. So far as mail fraud, it is not fraud to send a money order as payment for an item purchased on a web site. Mail fraud is when a person sends you an advertisement in the mail. And don't deliver when you buy it.
I tried that on my 3grand. Your always going to have that 10% that ruins things for everyone. And that happened in this case. And so far as shipping you don't have to get just cost. You know what your time and gas is worth. A good thing I'm seeing sellers do is to tell the bidders they recoup these things in shipping. Myself when I started doing that, I stopped getting complaints about shipping costs. I'm also seeing sellers put in +3% of winning to cover paypal charges.

You apparently are VERY misinformed.

1. There is also a governing body for Internet sales fraud. This is the correct source for this type of problem. I used to have an address for it but I don't seem to be able to locate it in my computer files right now. I am sure that an Internet search will bring it up.

2. Ebay and PayPal have been FILLED with this very complaint. They will respond to it when they finally figure out it is hurting their business. Spreading the word through sites like this is EXACTLY what should be done to alert people to this situation so they too boycot bad buyers, sellers and Ebay itself.

3. PayPal is no different than a merchant taking a credit card, it is illegal to ask for additional money to cover the cost of the credit card fees. In fact, when people attempted this in the past Ebay would end their auctions because of it.

4. You need to READ all of the rules Ebay has regarding what is and is not allowed in an auction.

Yes, there are always people out there looking to take advantage of others, that is life. As soon as you accept this and stop looking for people other than the proper authorities to police it, the better off you will be. It is not the advertising source or auction service that is going to do it for you. They can only enforce THEIR rules on their customers. Ebay's feedback system has been a bad deal from the very beginning. In my opinion it gives buyers and sellers a false sence of security in beliveing in one another. People's situations change and they will act differently when this happens. Then Ebay decides to CHANGE it and it is now all one sided to the buyer. With this change it also reduce the feedback count. mine dropped about 59 points. it also dropped ny rating recently from 98% to 91% This is due to buyers abusing it with uncalled for negatives because they do not READ the auction descriptions completely to realize what they are buying. They then leave negative feedback with no fear of response for others to see the REAL story. I wish they would eliminate the whole feedback system.

eBay does NOT require you to go through Paypal only for payment!

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

"Sellers must offer to accept one or more of the following payment choices:

*PayPal
*Credit or debit card processed through an Internet merchant account
*ProPay

Sellers may in addition offer to accept:

*Payment upon pickup

For specific categories, sellers may also offer to accept:

*Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
*Checks
*Money orders
*Any of the following online payment services: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, XOOM"

eBay does NOT require you to go through Paypal only for payment!

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

"Sellers must offer to accept one or more of the following payment choices:

*PayPal
*Credit or debit card processed through an Internet merchant account
*ProPay

Sellers may in addition offer to accept:

*Payment upon pickup

For specific categories, sellers may also offer to accept:

*Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
*Checks
*Money orders
*Any of the following online payment services: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, XOOM"

I believe it was you that posted this on Mopar Style as well. I responded with this that you have not yet answered.

"Well, I guess your going to have to tell me how to eliminate the PayPal. I just relisted this item with a delayed start of Sunday evening at 7:30. When I tried to change payment options other than PayPal it would not allow it. Additionally, it would not allow me to list the auction until I put in a valid email address to accept the payment through PayPal (which it had automatically marked as the form of payment.) I also tried to switch it to "another payment option" which it showed but it would not accept it."

I haven't checked in over there in a couple days.

I can't give you an answer since I don't know(I do use Paypal, it's easier for me that way). I was correcting you on saying that eBay REQUIRES you to go through Paypal when they obviously do not, although they do want you to accept electronic payments through one of any of the services on their list.
I don't agree with their policy, but if you use their site to make money, you follow their rules.

I haven't checked in over there in a couple days.

I can't give you an answer since I don't know(I do use Paypal, it's easier for me that way). I was correcting you on saying that eBay REQUIRES you to go through Paypal when they obviously do not, although they do want you to accept electronic payments through one of any of the services on their list.
I don't agree with their policy, but if you use their site to make money, you follow their rules.

As I stated above, it SAYS they will allow these other payments, but I could not proceed with listing my auction WITHOUT allowing the auction to state I would take PayPal.

I don't agree with there policy.
As I stated in my Ebay auction: " I expect this requirement will be short lived as it is against the free enterprise laws. Ebay is an AUCTION site and should not be imposing payment requirements which is between sellers and buyers. If you don't like a seller's payment requirements then don't bid on their auctions."

Auto Transport Service
Back