• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do tires wear faster as they get to the wear bars?

The same principle would apply to tires, with all things being equal: perfect alignment, rate of use, temperature, friction material, etc.

I run right at 35 psi in this car and every other one here.

Anyone have contact info for the Michelin Man?
I used to work with someone of equal stature. Sorry I don't have pictures of actual him in action....because in the two years I was there he never did a lick of work.

1691384885143.png

1691384960040.png
1691384981312.png

Oh wait....I was wrong.....here he is on an important job......

1691385187980.png

My fat ex wife resembles a Michelin woman.
She is not educated in tire science but can really work an extra large pizza.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yep, this guy could mow down 3 extra large in the blink of an eye.

He inhaled donuts in between other treats. I gotta stop now.....the hate is still running through my veins, and I was told to keep my blood pressure in check. :lol:

...ok last one....

This was my actual phone contact for him.....

1691386125105.png

It was even funnier when he took me to small claims court (and lost) ....best bit was the Judge smirked when she saw the picture. :p

...ok last one....

This was my actual phone contact for him.....

View attachment 1506064

It was even funnier when he took me to small claims court (and lost) ....best bit was the Judge smirked when she saw the picture. :p
This whiner sued you for having a picture of "Fat Bastard" to represent him on your own phone?

01 fg.jpg

Two things not mentioned. The rubber on new tyres is soft & wears quicker when new. With heat from usage, the rubber hardens & the wear rate reduces. Also, as the tyre wears, the contact area with the road increases, which would reduce the wear rate.

Here is some irony....
The wife's Honda CRV fuel gauge slowly moves from full to 3/4. From 3/4 to half seems to move at a normal rate but from 1/2 to empty, it is as if I'm towing a bunch of parachutes at 80 mph. The gauge drops like a rock. In clearer terms, if I'm getting 250 miles on a tank, the gauge makes it seem like I'm only getting 50 miles from half to empty.
Strange.
My diesel pickup does the same thing. Filled up, I can drive a hundred miles before the needle drops to the full mark.

Two things not mentioned. The rubber on new tyres is soft & wears quicker when new. With heat from usage, the rubber hardens & the wear rate reduces. Also, as the tyre wears, the contact area with the road increases, which would reduce the wear rate.

I would agree with @Geoff 2 . Last week I replaced a set of 2008 run flats with just over 13k miles on them. The car they were on spent the first 12 years in Texas and Oklahoma. The car was stored indoors and there was no weather checking, but I've always heard that the inside can deteriorate causing a failure, so I asked to inspect them after they were removed. To my eye, they looked perfect with no obvious issues. However, the tread surface felt like hard plastic and the ride quality improved significantly with the new tires.

They do wear faster as the tread gets thinner. Plus due to that, the tire gets hotter and can get to the point when you get wop wop wop going on wiping out panels. Another issue to think of, which won't happen for awhile, is hydroplaning in the rain. Many of the cars that came in the the body shop I managed got piled up due to water skiing. That was the first time they clued in to the fact they were running on bald eagles. Brakes also wear and overheat faster when they get thin.

I disagree, they seem to wear fastest when new as the tread squirms more. It seems when the tread gets thin it takes forever for the last bit of wear to take place. I always chuck them when they still look usable as they'll just get you in trouble in the rain or snow.

I have a curious mind and am always wondering about stuff like this.
Recently, I was at a car show and noticed that my front tires were almost bald on the edges. I had it aligned months ago. It steers, handles and drives great. I'm sure it had more tread when I brought it to that shop.
I've noticed that when using a cutoff wheel on a grinder, once I get to about 2/3 the original diameter, the wheel seems to wear faster to the end.
Does that same thing happen with tires?
These are a 200 treadwear model, Nitto NT 05.

View attachment 1505997

The 200 treadwear rating means that they are sticky but they won't last long. They never seem to squeal even during hard cornering. They do grip well.
The worn set was put on 7 years ago so by some people's standard, they were ready to be replaced anyway.
What do you think? Do tires wear faster from 50% tread to zero than they did from 100% to 50% ?
They seem to. As they wear they get smaller diameter and need more revolutions to cover the same distance as a new one. :poke: :rofl::rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back