• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you like to drive late at night? How about in the rain?

I usually drive anywhere between 11pm - 6 am when I plan on going for a longer drive. This could be from 1 - 3 hours covering up to 100 miles. Been doing this for the past few years. No traffic at all and nobody trying to race me in one form or another. Just me, the car and the road...

3 am about 15 mins south of point Mugu on P.C.H.
1000021637.jpg

That is a great picture.
I like it in horizontal mode though.

F6F208D3-76CF-46C5-B849-8C1A9F004103.jpeg

I used to like driving just about anytime and liked to play in the rain. Putting the 2000 Durango into a slow drift was fun or doing slow donuts with the Cuda was also plus the tires lasted longer too!

I feel the pole and wires in the background give some depth. What the photo doesn't show is the very bright moon that night, but can be seen reflecting on the ocean behind.

Okay…now that Cranky opened the door, I’m in.
This truck is a great wet pavement drift rig.

90E8F28B-BB34-4262-88D6-8891ABA0B052.jpeg

Firm suspension, 305-40 tires and a limited slip diff. It hangs the tail out beautifully.
We don’t get much rain here but at night when nobody is around, pitching this truck around curves is a blast.
Back when I first started driving, most guys I knew didn’t have high performance cars so the only time we could get sideways was when the pavement was wet.

I feel the pole and wires in the background give some depth.
I understand but the damn social media default standard of vertical/portrait mode pictures just annoys me.
I hate that.
Widescreen looks better for almost every picture except skyscrapers, rocket launches, giraffes and people standing up.

I understand but the damn social media default standard of vertical/portrait mode pictures just annoys me.
I hate that.
Widescreen looks better for almost every picture except skyscrapers, rocket launches, giraffes and people standing up.
I see so many people trying (badly) to video drag races with a phone, held wrong, and no zoom. Just awful results, and the vids still end up on you tube anyway. I did better work with a wired camera and a hip bag holding the VHS recorder 40 years ago.

the internet gave us all a voice and the “smart” phone gave us all cameras.
Now we get content from skilled and unskilled people in greater numbers.

Never rain, not too much after dark, but I love dusk driving.
Old muscle looks way cool with just the running lights on.
IMG_2447.jpeg

I usually drive anywhere between 11pm - 6 am when I plan on going for a longer drive. This could be from 1 - 3 hours covering up to 100 miles. Been doing this for the past few years. No traffic at all and nobody trying to race me in one form or another. Just me, the car and the road...

3 am about 15 mins south of point Mugu on P.C.H.
View attachment 1531325
That is a nice picture. Magazine worthy.

I drive at night a lot when i was young ( am 47 yo) and when I can see clearly, now time pass and I can see **** at night, so no, besides here in Mexico to drive at night is an invitation to get robbed... sadly.

I drive at night a lot when i was young ( am 47 yo) and when I can see clearly, now time pass and I can see **** at night, so no, besides here in Mexico to drive at night is an invitation to get robbed... sadly.
Amigo! Your inbox is full. I tried to PM you but no go.

Back in March, one of the canyons in Malibu around 6:30 am on my way back home.
RR 4.16.23.jpg

Vertical yes, but in this image you get to see the windy road, canyon and clouds...

RR  1.1.21.jpg

January 2021, 5 am near Rio Carrillo beach on P.C.H.

RR 7.12.20.jpg

July 2020, Arriving home around 7(ish) am after a longer drive.

RR 6.28.20.jpg

June 2020, same location at Leo Carrillo just after sun up.
Sometimes I wait around a while, still very little traffic on the roads and I'm passing everything on the way home.

RR.2  11.12.2022.jpg

November 2022, heading back home on one of the canyons south of Pepperdine.

RR-2 9.12.11.jpg

Mulholland Highway heading west around 6:30 am, in actuality it was much darker outside.

The coast is very accessible to me when I choose to head out that way, with fun roads to drive on at these times.
There's usually "drivers" on these roads anytime of the day and even late at night, in the wee hours of the morning there are few if any which is why I go at those times because I want to drive and not race (trying to do it safe(r)).

This is what the hobby is for me and what I'll do until I can't see (or drive) well enough.

Of course I drive it in the daytime or even to work occasionally, but the excitement for me is during the late hours.

GREAT photos, Larry. I like the story as well. Thank you.

Not so much late at night, but early in am between 2-4 am out of the house trying to beat all of you 4 wheelers and get a round in before you guys even get out of bed.

GREAT photos, Larry. I like the story as well. Thank you.
There are other routes that I've been looking at heading north towards the desert, and also east as far out as Wrightwood, then south through the hills and forested areas. Something I plan on doing next year.

Going out at those hours can be somewhat trepidatious, should something fail I'm stuck until help arrives, once regular hours begin and help is available. It's happened a couple of times...

With the TKX and Sniper EFI installed this year I feel much better overall on extended trips.

Last edited:
I had LASIK a long time ago, and finally was freed from having to wear glasses for nearsightedness (could only see up close) for the first time since 3rd grade.
I prefer to drive through areas that I need to read street signs or other finer details during the day as my night vision isn't nearly as good as day. Highway driving isn't really a problem, and Map Apps make reading street signs not as important as it used to be.

I had LASIK a long time ago, and finally was freed from having to wear glasses for nearsightedness (could only see up close) for the first time since 3rd grade.
Since early elementary school, same here with vision...I've been considering Lasik as of late myself. Did it improve your night driving vision at all?

Auto Transport Service
Back