• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you like to drive late at night? How about in the rain?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
I do, Oh, hell yeah.
It is funny....as we get older or even settled into relationships, we are not out on the road at night nearly as much.
I've worked construction most of my life so I had to be to bed early but weekends were another matter. I'd love being out late. Traffic was almost non existent. You could hear the sound of the car, the melody of the stereo and it felt great.
When I was in between wives, I was out at night frequently. Nightclubs, bars, strip clubs....Good times. A drive back home after a one night stand was great, sometimes I didn't go straight home....I'd sometimes just haul *** down the back roads and blast the stereo until I felt like sleeping.
I also used to like driving at night in the rain. I'd turn the heater on and drop the windows, letting the rain drift in and dampen my left side.
I didn't drink when I went to the bars and night clubs. I was on the prowl for women. Most were too fast to catch.
I met a lot of them. I didn't get to play with everyone that I met but that wasn't always the goal. Sometimes I just liked the chase, the cat and mouse game. Flirting was fun and I enjoyed it.
I felt the same about cars. I didn't own rare or valuable cars but I had a lot of fun in them too.
Sometimes driving on a clear night with stars and the moon in the sky is a great experience. You could almost see by the light of the moon.

Night? Absolutely. Empty country roads at night can get you in all kinds of trouble. ;-)
Rain? Hell no. I've seen way too much go down...people don't respect wet pavement
generally speaking.

It was better driving when the plandemic hit. The empty highways were awesome with no rush hour traffic at all. Of course it was too good to last.

I like night driving in a car for sure but not a motorcycle, too many animals running at night. I can drive in the rain all day long, car or motorcycle, it makes the driving experience interesting.

I live in the deer/car accident capital of America. It’s bad enough in the daytime, let alone at night. If I have to go to my MIL’s house after dark, I take my daily that has full coverage, there usually no less than a dozen deer in every field out there.

It was better driving when the plandemic hit. The empty highways were awesome with no rush hour traffic at all. Of course it was too good to last.
absolutely, that was the best time to own a hellcat, got away with murder, the law would not pull you over. went by them many times they were looking at there computer screens, you really had to mess up to get there attention

In my younger days, there was something magical about riding dirt bikes in sand dunes, at night, by the light of the moon . . .

Blues Brothers 05.jpg

Driving at night, raining or not, as little as possible now. No where to go to either...

Driving at night on quite back roads is the best. The soft green glow of the dash lights, you can’t see around you so it makes the world seem to disappear.

I'm in my '01 Ram a lot at night, coming home from gigs (live audio production; lots of bar gigs, lots of getting home at 3am). ALL my vehicles have upgraded lighting, Ram included. I changed to Sport package lights (4 lights instead of 2), and run HID low beams with LED high beams (instant-on). I use HID's for lows because they generate heat; LED retrofit bulbs do not, and in snow and ice...they ice up. No bueno. Lots of light, I make sure to point them in the right direction (important not only so I don't blind other people, but also to put light where it is actually useful to me). But with upgraded bulbs...I enjoy night driving. Less traffic, fewer morons.

My Grand Cherokee has factory HID projector lights, and I hate them. All these new lights do when you turn on high beams, is open a shutter to make the light "taller". I like my lights to get BRIGHTER on high beam. But these have a hard cut-off, and anything above that visible line is pitch black. So, I added an LED light bar on the bottom of the front license plate. Discreet, small (width of the plate), but DAMN it throws some light down-range. I have it wired to come on with the high beams, and when it's off you can barely notice it (it is a Grand Cherokee, after all, and not a baja-ready Wrangler!).

My Charger (and any of my vehicles - cars or bikes - with sealed beam lights), I run Hella H4 conversion lights. They look like sealed beam lights with the same serrated lens design, but you can replace the lighting element with an H4 style bulb. My bikes, and my Daytona, all run HID H4 hi/lo; the Charger runs HID H4 hi/lo in the low beam position, and I have 3000k (amber) LED H4s in the high beams. I don't drive the Charger in snow, but the HIDs are so nice and bright (and low draw), I put them in there anyway.

My minivan has HID replacement bulbs in the factory "euro" flush-fit headlights. My Wrangler has stock fog lights wired to ignition as DRLs, and a set of 7" LED replacement hi/lo headlights. We'll see how they do in snow - they're DOT approved so they might heat up enough to shed snow and ice....we shall see. If not...Hella's are easy enough!
1695647751241.png

I'm good with full-dark. I have hit deer before, once with my old XJ Cherokee...once on a motorcycle. Both incidents went....poorly. And, both were at dusk. I'll drive at 3am anytime, but try my damnedest to avoid driving at dusk if I can help it.

Driving at nite is not real high on my like list, especially at nite and in the rain

I'm in my '01 Ram a lot at night, coming home from gigs (live audio production; lots of bar gigs, lots of getting home at 3am). ALL my vehicles have upgraded lighting, Ram included. I changed to Sport package lights (4 lights instead of 2), and run HID low beams with LED high beams (instant-on). I use HID's for lows because they generate heat; LED retrofit bulbs do not, and in snow and ice...they ice up. No bueno. Lots of light, I make sure to point them in the right direction (important not only so I don't blind other people, but also to put light where it is actually useful to me). But with upgraded bulbs...I enjoy night driving. Less traffic, fewer morons.

My Grand Cherokee has factory HID projector lights, and I hate them. All these new lights do when you turn on high beams, is open a shutter to make the light "taller". I like my lights to get BRIGHTER on high beam. But these have a hard cut-off, and anything above that visible line is pitch black. So, I added an LED light bar on the bottom of the front license plate. Discreet, small (width of the plate), but DAMN it throws some light down-range. I have it wired to come on with the high beams, and when it's off you can barely notice it (it is a Grand Cherokee, after all, and not a baja-ready Wrangler!).

My Charger (and any of my vehicles - cars or bikes - with sealed beam lights), I run Hella H4 conversion lights. They look like sealed beam lights with the same serrated lens design, but you can replace the lighting element with an H4 style bulb. My bikes, and my Daytona, all run HID H4 hi/lo; the Charger runs HID H4 hi/lo in the low beam position, and I have 3000k (amber) LED H4s in the high beams. I don't drive the Charger in snow, but the HIDs are so nice and bright (and low draw), I put them in there anyway.

My minivan has HID replacement bulbs in the factory "euro" flush-fit headlights. My Wrangler has stock fog lights wired to ignition as DRLs, and a set of 7" LED replacement hi/lo headlights. We'll see how they do in snow - they're DOT approved so they might heat up enough to shed snow and ice....we shall see. If not...Hella's are easy enough!
View attachment 1530186

I'm good with full-dark. I have hit deer before, once with my old XJ Cherokee...once on a motorcycle. Both incidents went....poorly. And, both were at dusk. I'll drive at 3am anytime, but try my damnedest to avoid driving at dusk if I can help it.
Any idea where I can get these to fit my 66 Satellite ?

is this the correct size ?

Amazon product ASIN B001G72SKQ

Last edited:
There are 2 basic sizes for round headlights - 7", or 5.75". My Charger is 5.75"; my Wrangler is 7".

Driving at night in the rain ? I can get the same effect driving on a rainy afternoon with my eyes closed.

Driving at night? Just fine.
Driving at night with streetlights or oncoming traffic? Little tricky lately.
Driving at night with streetlights/oncoming traffic AND rain? Even trickier these days.

Although I see reading glasses and hearing aids in my not too distant future, I'm still fighting it :lol:

I loved driving at night. Use to Ironman down from WA state to the Fling twice a year. However, now that I’m older (pushing 70) I find I get fatigued easily. Don’t have night blindness but the night lights seem to bother me.

Have Cadillacs (cataracts) headlights are murder,and I'm not ready for surgery. Can drive at night but only if necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back