• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you like to drive late at night? How about in the rain?

Have Cadillacs (cataracts) headlights are murder,and I'm not ready for surgery. Can drive at night but only if necessary.
You're in better shape than me. In just the past few months I now no longer will drive at. night. My shooting glasses helped; but even those don't cut it anymore. Cataracts surgery scheduled in November when sitting around recouping for two weeks won't bother me as much with colder weather.

I'm in western PA, way too many deer. around these parts. Would not consider driving my 66 Charger at night unless there was no other option.

My wife and I were broadsided by a deer on the motorcycle in the city limits of Bolivar, NY. She got her 1st buck and 1st helicopter ride on the same day. Alls well now.

I will volunteer to be circumcised again before I volunteer to drive at night.
My eyes are deficient in rods or cones, whichever one lets you see in reflected light. I can only see well in direct sunlight. So driving at night is super stressful. Exhausting. I got killer headlights, but they are exactly that, blinding glare for those coming towards me. Then I got the JW Speaker headlights. More about that in a minute.
And it’s odd, because I live in a place where for about half of the year it is dark most of the time.
But a product endorsement: I got a set of headlights for my Jeep from a company called JW Speaker. If you want good headlights get those. They are not just a set of bright lights, they are focused and have lenses to direct the light past oncoming traffic. They make it possible for me to drive at high speed on moose and Buffalo infested roads with confidence. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Last edited:
I schedule my trips between Arizona and California at different times. CA to AZ, I try to start somewhere between 1am and 2 am. Moderate traffic on I-10 and I-15, next to nothing on I-40 but pro truckers. Last trip had a bit of white knuckles, with some heavy mist and fog up the pass, but not too scary.
Going the other way, leave around eight am. The idea being to get on 15 after the morning rush, and before lunchtime crowd.
So yeah, even tho I have had a bunch of procedures on my eyes, still like to drive in the dark mornings. Don't much care to drive in the rain tho.Too many idiots going slower, or faster, than me!

I can drive at night, although I do prefer not to do it very much. Too many deer around here. Hard to believe all the fresh roadkill every morning, one would think they would all be gone.

I’ve heard the worst times are around dawn and dusk. Some must prefer to sleep in, or had a late night, deer I hit was on a sunny morning at around 8:30 in May. Other two hits over the years were around 7:00AM and 10:30PM. Well, the 7 AM one was a deer hitting me. Was stopped in traffic waiting for a car ahead to make a left turn. Saw three of them in an open field on my left running like they were spooked, maybe a 100-yards from me. I noticed they weren’t slowing down coming right at my car. I leaned right bending down and bam one hit the driver’s door and window, saw its face smush up against the window then flew over the top. Thought it might bust the window, lucky it didn’t (and had it closed).

Pulled over and none of them were in sight. Didn’t do much damage, dent in the door I was able to pop out; but fur wedged in the trim. Took a good amount of effort with a pliers to pull it all out.

When I started needing reading glass, I got a pair of cheaters from Walgreens. Couldn't stand carrying them around, so off to go see an optometrist. He said I could try glasses or a contact in one eye. The one eye contact takes about a month to get your mind use to shifting from one eye, for distance and the other for reading. After a while you don't even notice you have one in, till you drive at night. Your eye shifts between and you see a halo around the one for reading. I can't tell you how many times while I was driving at night, I would put the window down and take my contact out and throw it out the window. I now wear glasses and night driving is not like it was when I was younger, but, getting old it's what it's cracked up to be either..............

This picture could have been taken in my town too.

1695793557308.png

Some days out on the road in Summer 2020, it looked like this. It was spooky.

I like driving at night. At night in the rain is more challenging that I would prefer dry weather. Anyone who says they prefer night and rain? Has to be lying.

I have had 3 longer term relationships in my life. And all 3 of the ladies night vision was horrible. I have on more than one occasion been driving at night. And they would all of a sudden panic. Believing we are off the road. Scares the crap out of me because I think they are seeing something I'm not. I would ask "Can't you see the solid white line right outside your window?" Two could not see it well. Even when I pointed it out.

I have no scientific evidence that women have poorer night vision. Except for my experience. The gal I'm seeing has had Lasix surgery. And is now 20/20. But she still struggles at night. And easily surrenders night driving to me. In fact, she insists.

My favorite time to drive.
My career involved working away from
home at considerable distances. I
usually started trips home after
working 12 hours on holiday
weekends where most of the
companies I worked for would allow
an extra day for travel.
In those times when losing one's self
to the rhythm of the road, I have
witnessed many instances that
define human life to it's core. Hookers,
Cops, Drug Dealers, Hitchhikers,
Hundreds of vehicle accidents.
I can only imagine what a truckers
life is like.
As far as driving in the rain?
Please lord, anywhere but Houston.

I can understand that for some, their vision has deteriorated to the point where they don't feel comfortable driving at night much. The glare of the lights through rain soaked glass makes it worse, I'm sure.
I'm not there yet.
Night driving? I don't prefer it but I do like it. Reduced traffic is part of the appeal of night driving.
Back in the 80s, cruising was how we showed off our cars and met women. Those times often ran into the wee hours of the morning. We parked at the 24 hour fast food joints for chow and set out cruising again, much like in American Graffiti.
It was cooler at night so the cars rarely overheated.

I can understand that for some, their vision has deteriorated to the point where they don't feel comfortable driving at night much. The glare of the lights through rain soaked glass makes it worse, I'm sure.
I'm not there yet.
Night driving? I don't prefer it but I do like it. Reduced traffic is part of the appeal of night driving.
Back in the 80s, cruising was how we showed off our cars and met women. Those times often ran into the wee hours of the morning. We parked at the 24 hour fast food joints for chow and set out cruising again, much like in American Graffiti.
It was cooler at night so the cars rarely overheated.
I can relate, KD.
It's sad to see these days that kids
who lived thru those times now see
their favorite haunts go by way of
Route 66.
The world's biggest ball of twine, the
worlds largest skillet, the teepee motel,
Sonic babes on roller skates.
You hit American Grafitti dead center.
We, the ones who witnessed, have
stories to tell.
Ask any teen these days what a
sockhop is. Very few can answer,
much less, what it ment for a teen
to obtain that ticket to independence,
Four wheels and an engine.....

Last edited:
Have Cadillacs (cataracts) headlights are murder,and I'm not ready for surgery. Can drive at night but only if necessary.
Fran,
My mother suffered the same fate
and dearly loved to drive.
She found some relief from a very
light tinted pair of sunglasses with
polarized lenses until which time
she broke down and saw an
optometrist. Short of surgery, the
doc offered the same temporary
fix. Blue tinted lense.

And they would all of a sudden panic.
Interesting, something I’ve not encountered, but when driving with my wife, sometimes she’ll get riled, putting her hands out, take a deep breath, then I get riled thinking she’s seeing something I don’t: That car is stopping, yes I know, see the stop sign, well yes, I see it too…

I despise driving at night for several reasons - My night vision is ****. Too much glare. Vehicles with lights that belong on airplanes. Critters, lots of deer and coyotes out my way! And drunk/impaired driving has apparently NOT gone out of style.

If I am driving at night and there isnt a lot of traffic I really enjoy it. My only issue is even with corrective lenses I have really bad astigmatism..... which makes oncoming headlights almost completely wash out everything else until they pass.

Wisconsin does have deer though and a lot of them - so thats always an issue.

If I am driving at night and there isnt a lot of traffic I really enjoy it. My only issue is even with corrective lenses I have really bad astigmatism..... which makes oncoming headlights almost completely wash out everything else until they pass.

Wisconsin does have deer though and a lot of them - so thats always an issue.
Lol, yeah - I know had a chance to meet one recently..

Met one on my Harley a while back at 55 MPH :(

I killed one extra that year bowhunting.....
Glad to see you survived, an old HS friend meeting one on his Harley didn't..

Auto Transport Service
Back