• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone make performance front shox for our cars?

but DO NOT go buy way of the FULL METAL biscuts, if you plan to drive it on the street...I'd did and it was way the WRONG thing to do !!!!
go with the POLYURATHENE or new rubbers

you don't need to sacrifice full comfort to get full performance. I'm not agree on the metally biscuits. As mentioned Poly or new rubber should do it. I think Poly is nice to be in the middle of both worlds

It's an option for him. Personally I would go with the poly, but if he doesn't find the ride of a 62-72 mopar to be jarring, then he might as well stiffen up those front rails as intended.

I'm not sure what you mean if the issue has been corrected. As I said originally, I had to modify the lower control arm opening because the Bilstein shock tubes are much wider than original shocks, so in order for it to not hit the lower control arm and bolt up properly, I had to widen the opening on the LCA.

What I'm referencing to in my post here is if there has been a correction in the size of the tube? I'm not sure how many 73-79 B-Body owners have purchased Bilsteins since these first hit the market but, I was just curious? Anyways, I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask. Sometimes things get corrected in product line and that's the reasoning for my question. Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

In reference to the car. The bushings in the front end have been replaced with poly. I'm not looking to make this an full autocross car. The car needs shocks and wanted to start with the shocks. Hopefully, my plan is to upgrade the torsion bars and front sway bar as well. But, the shocks are on my priority list. I just drive/cruise the car and wanted to improve the ride and handling slightly.

If that is the case, then what you want to emulate is OE police suspension with some poly mixed in where appropriate. Factory 11.75 front discs and beefed tie rods/sleeves as well as a steering box brace will also improve the overall feel. I would also look to eliminate the rear axle iso setup as it can cause the car to crab walk. Some basic fixes will go a long way and produce a well mannered, predictable ride.

So, to my knowledge the Bilsteins are wider tube to provide more damping action than a standard shock, the factory ones were pretty small by comparison. I don't know if they have changed their specifications, but maybe someone that has recently purchased may know, as I did my suspension 3 years ago.

Good luck with your build!

I to am interested, in how big the tubes are. How much modification is required? A little grinding or cut off wheel ?
If were talking grinding then that's no big deal I dont want to cut on the control arm

I wish I had better pictures, but you just need to grind a bit off the inside of the hole in order for the shock to fit in from underneath. If I recall I had to do about 1/16 of an inch on each side or just a bit more, 3/32.

As you can see in the picture below of the original, the tube is pretty small.

IMAG0665.jpg

Now here is the view of the Bilstein, sorry, don't have a better picture, you can tell its much bigger.

IMAG0906a.jpg

Thank you very much idrivremopar that's exactly what I needed to know 100% opp be ordering my suspension stuff soon thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back