• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look concerning? (rust)

BowerPower

Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
I'm watching and researching b bodies, 66-67 charger in particular, to buy and resto-mod in the near future, so I'm not looking for someone's precious all original baby. I ran across this car that looks in fair-good condition and a good example of what I hope to purchase when the time comes. Does anything in these pictures look concerning? To me it looks like someone's weekend driver that has not been touched, majorly, in a long time. Looks like some that could be beautified with a wire brush and black paint. Silicon on the floor is odd!

Also, what are the common rust areas with b bodies? Any rust related advice is welcome. I know rust can hide at the bottom of windows under the seal or body panels with loads of body filler. I have a vehicle (was given to me) now, that has paint bubbles and body filler cracking.
car01.PNG
car02.PNG
car03.PNG
car04.PNG

2nd and last picture needs investigating. What's under that gray paste?

There appears to be some obvious bondo filling a hole in that second picture. Frame rails are always a point of concern. Channels around windows, particularly the rear and trunk gutters. Same with drop offs in the trunk.

It appears that the floor has some rust.
But from what I see the frame looks good at least from the pictures shown here.

I would wire brush it really good then go over it with Por15 and call it done.

I'd want to get it up high enough to crawl around under it...bring a small plastic/rubber mallet and tap/tap/tap any area you think is suspect...should be able to hear the difference between clean metal and metal with filler.

The frame rails in the photos look good but beware, these cars can have most of the rails near perfect and then have a massive hole or dodgy area limited to only one section.
CHECK EVERYWHERE!
You need to obviously check that grey covered area too.
Look inside the front wheel arches, where the UCA mounts. It catches dirt, water, salt etc and rust can spread to the front frame rail. Major repair.
Good luck!

Some of those pics look pretty crusty.
Agree about the patch.
The spring hanger looks like it should clean up but needs to be addressed soon.
The rocker looks a little iffy. I'd scrape/wire brush it and see what else appears.

I've never had a Charger but I've had 6 Coronets and Belvederes.

Structurally, the frame rails near the shock towers can go, as can the transmission crossmember and the main rails near it. It's pretty uncommon but it does happen.
The rears rails can go near the shackle mounts. Again somewhat uncommon but does happen.

Not applicable to Chargers, but the C pillar to quarter area can rust on other 66/67 B's and that area is a bitch to repair. It's several layers and structural to the roof.

I've seen a few Chargers in particular but also Coronets that get a crusty "from the inside out" rust that eats the insides of the panels and when it does come out, its bubbly and vicious.
Again, not too common, but happens enough to take note.
Look for this in areas like the tops of the doors and quarter panels.

In general 66/67 B body cars rust WAY LESS than 68-70 and E body cars given the same life circumstances.

From what I can observe from pictures, it looks like quality went down after 67. More plastics and less metal.

I had a picture of the shackle bolting location but I guess it didn't upload.

Based on those pics, I say it looks pretty damned clean. Where is the car from? If Arkansas, potential danger Will Robinson.
If it's from the southwest, that rust is about 2 minutes with 80 grit and away.

How bad do you want a 66-67 Charger? That's the real question.

If I was in the hunt for one at a good price I wouldn't even blink at that.

Looking for a 70 Cuda here. Any leads anybody?

Based on those pics, I say it looks pretty damned clean. Where is the car from? If Arkansas, potential danger Will Robinson.
If it's from the southwest, that rust is about 2 minutes with 80 grit and away.

How bad do you want a 66-67 Charger? That's the real question.

If I was in the hunt for one at a good price I wouldn't even blink at that.

Looking for a 70 Cuda here. Any leads anybody?
That car in particular was in Texas, not the only one either. It's was the least optimistic on the price and the underside looked question so I thought it was a good example.

66-67 Charger are going for the right price to be feasible. 68-70 Chargers are going for a price that I'd rather buy a new challenger with a 6.4 and 6 speed.

In Arkansas only trucks rust, because everyone has to leave caked on mud to their rocker panels.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back