• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doing floors…safe to do it with car sitting on suspension or essential it’s level on jackstands?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
I should be doing floors on my 70 charger sometime soon ish. AMD finally came through. I am working out of a two car garage and it’d be a beast to get it on jack stands and have proper room to open doors etc.

I could do this in the driveway, but that’s uncovered.

I do not have an engine or trans in the car. The rockers, rails and torsion bar crossmember are all solid.

Is there really a big concern about flex if I’m just doing front floors and rear footwells with the car sitting on its suspension? This would allow the car to be moved in and out of the garage while it’s being worked on.

It figure the lack of the drivetrain would lessen the flexing, but some of you guys probably know better.

Last edited:
I should be doing floors sometime soon ish. I am working out of a two car garage and it’d be a beast to get it on jack stands and have proper room to open doors etc.

I could do this in the driveway, but that’s uncovered.

I do not have an engine or trans in the car. The rockers, rails and torsion bar crossmember are all solid.

Is there really a big concern about flex if I’m just doing front floors and rear footwells with the car sitting on its suspension? This would allow the car to be moved in and out of the garage while it’s being worked on.

It figure the lack of the drivetrain would lessen the flexing, but some of you guys probably know better.
Tell us what you are working on.
Mike

Tell us what you are working on.
Mike
70 charger. I’ll be cutting out the old floors and welding in a new one piece floor with rear footwells.

I could do it leveled on jackstands, it’s just a much bigger PITA with my current work space.

I think you will be fine doing the work on the tires, as long as they are all the same size and inflated to the same pressure.
Mike

rockers and roof hold it together.......if those aren't rotted, put it on jackstands or tires and letterip

The lack of an engine means it sits higher up front. I doubt it sits level. But everything else looks solid. I’m hoping it’s stiff enough to roll it out to cut the old one out, fit the new one and weld it in over the course of several days and still be able to keep it inside.

you're fine rolling it in and out.....this one was a roller

20220303_221214.jpg

20220323_160720.jpg

20220323_160727.jpg

20220408_222306.jpg

bolt on the doors and line them up prior to welding if you're concerned........pretty sure one of the doors has to be removed to get the pan in the car

this is the same car........all welding was done prior to removing suspension, then it went to the rotisserie

green.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back