• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don selleck's 68 charger rt project

well, after cleaning up some non bonding paint on the door hinges, under trunk lid, and several other spots. also the aftermarket hood I got from amd looked pretty good had a little more grinding on the back of it was hitting the inner fender on the drivers side. Also had to remove and reweld the adjuster pads where the rubber screw hood adjusters land, a little off. good catch on these areas from body guy. everything has been re cut in and made it to here. hopefully Monday View attachment 494658 or early next week.
Don

Looks great sitting in the paint booth! Exciting and thanks for the update!

Justin

thank you Justin, your encouragement helps, kinda sucks not being able to do the kind of professional paint job that that car deserves, makes me feel kinda helpless. when this one is done the next one will be a little more low key so I can practice a bit. hoping to do all of it. that will have to be at the new house and barn where I will be building next year if everything lines up. Thanks again for your postings on your current project. You've pretty much written "the" book on the comparison of aftermarket parts, assembly order, how to tricks, (with the help of some of the best people here) original markings, coating, etc. All in which will help me with this b-body. well just got a call from my painter "its silver", so I'm headed down there to check it out. next posting pics yeaaa haaaah!

thank you Justin, your encouragement helps, kinda sucks not being able to do the kind of professional paint job that that car deserves, makes me feel kinda helpless. when this one is done the next one will be a little more low key so I can practice a bit. hoping to do all of it. that will have to be at the new house and barn where I will be building next year if everything lines up. Thanks again for your postings on your current project. You've pretty much written "the" book on the comparison of aftermarket parts, assembly order, how to tricks, (with the help of some of the best people here) original markings, coating, etc. All in which will help me with this b-body. well just got a call from my painter "its silver", so I'm headed down there to check it out. next posting pics yeaaa haaaah!
Don

I have followed your thread since you started it and have enjoyed the accomplishments you have made/done. Somehow I believe once you see the car painted in its true glory you are not going to be feeling helpless anymore. With every project the next one is better and so on....My first project was a 68 four door dart, slant six...was my daily driver then a list of others and the final one is the GTX....They were all learning experiences and each one I improved upon....

It makes me happy that my thread is beneficial to the true hobbyists as yourself!

Looking forward to the pics!

The car is looking great Don, it will be painted before you know it. The third car I ever owned was a 1968 Charger H code originally in silver. It was hemi orange when I bought it and sold it. I would have loved to be able to paint it back to original but it wasn't in the cards as I was a broke high schooler. So I am really looking forward to see yours.

The car is looking great Don, it will be painted before you know it. The third car I ever owned was a 1968 Charger H code originally in silver. It was hemi orange when I bought it and sold it. I would have loved to be able to paint it back to original but it wasn't in the cards as I was a broke high schooler. So I am really looking forward to see yours.
20170731_170602.jpg
20170731_170613.jpg
20170731_170500.jpg
20170731_162406.jpg
20170731_162401.jpg
20170731_162351.jpg
20170731_162301.jpg
20170731_162255.jpg
raw finish paint 68 charger 2.jpg
Well you were right talked to bill the owner said he has two weeks of cut and buff, the orange peel is obvious, but the color looks like it laid down beautifully and dipped in clear, very happy, cant wait to get it home for cleaning. was gonna wax the engine and underneath before assembly to help with cleaning later at least a little while.

Looks great! I bet you are super excited to have it painted.

Now to start assembly! CAREFULLY!!!! :rolleyes:

thanks Hawk, I've been planning for assembly a while now, blocking off the assembly area to keep the grandkids at bay, moving blankets, masking tape and only 2 beers until I'm ready to stop working on it for the night. slow and steady is the plan working on an area until I need something then bouncing around. Have a few custom plans, but mainly keeping 99% of the original look, all visible customs will be under the hood. I feel like a kid at Christmas!

well stopped by the shop today they got it cut and wet sanded, starting buffing tomorrow, then stripes and tail panel black. lots of silver I think some black on it will really pop. all the work has finally paid off couldn't be happier with the outcome!
20170807_115152.jpg
20170807_115217.jpg
20170807_115230.jpg
20170807_115236.jpg
20170807_115307.jpg
20170807_115500.jpg

thanks Justin, been reviewing your build last couple days, the window assembly will really come in handy. will be assembling in no time! 2018 should be fun.

Awesome, just awesome. The black details will for sure complete the look, love the silver..

Wow . . . that looks awesome . . . can't wait for my car to get to that stage, you've got to be chomping at the bit . . .

It's "almost" time to start the BUILDING ! ! ! YAY ! ! !

thank you everyone, most of my componets are rebuilt on the shelf waiting to be installed, I have about 90% of the chrome and stainless polished already, bought the eastwood polishing compounds in a stick. used a smooth painters rag instead of the included buffing wheel, took some time, but turned out better than the wheel was doing IMO.I have the dash and headlight/grill carrier painted, and a new grill, looked pretty good in the box for an aftermarket, wanted to install it piece by piece on the car, so adjustment could be made to line it up as close as possible (everyone knows how aftermarket goes). well off to make some money, gotta do the drywall! Have a good day!

thanks, can't wait to get it home," the finish stage begins", "putting the icing on the cake"!

WOW! Nothing like the smell of new paint. I feel your joy! That baby is beautiful. I love silver and considered it myself.

was an original aa1 silver with black interior. Now 99 viper silver with black interior. Got there and the body man was working on it outside in the sun to have a good look at it. he had his sun glasses on, hurts your eyes to look at it without them. I think u can see it from space.

Don't put the door handles on without some of those backing plates inside, mine warped a little without them. Thanks to a very nice guy on here I have some on the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back