• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don selleck's 68 charger rt project

Thanks Hawk appreciate the compliment it was a good thing, it brought my friends together met alot of new people in the industry, it was like everyone was on board and wanting me to get this done. had alot of encouragement after the initial quality control was established. it was a crap load of money and time but the journey and results were incredible. my friends are already talking about starting the 70 duster project i bought last summer. so here we go!

Your car turned out just awesome Don. You have to be very proud of all the attention your work draws. Hope you don't feel as though it is to nice to drive, because imo that is what they are for. Looking forward to watching your next project.....

Last edited:
thank you, I will be driving it, just not alot at least for the first year, gonna be taking it around to some car shows this year while its still new.

well putting her away till spring, she needs a front end alignment and a few other tweaks.took this shot looked too good.
20200305_192900.jpg

changed out the rear stripes on the 68 were at an angle to the quarter caps, drove me nuts, took R.C's advise and wrapped the tail panel also, You were right looks way better:lowdown:. my son in law wraps cars, busses trailers etc. for a living he printed up some stripes and basically put them on one by one using 1/4" and 3/4" tape for spacing, the off color kind of looks cool. trailered it down to my lake property to test and tune roads are terrible around my home, different county. fuel injection work very well starts right up at any temp, seems like its lacking a few h.p. going to turn up the fuel pressure a few points and double check afr ratio's ordering an electric dual fan for the griffen radiator today running slightly warm, about 199 to 203 and its only 70 out. wanna remove the widow maker flex fan anyways since I've seen some of the carnage those things can leave. went that route since I couldn't get the clutch fan to fit, either
20210403_113520.jpg
20210402_213541 (1).jpg
20210403_113527.jpg
20210404_173225.jpg
20210404_173635.jpg
20210404_173753.jpg
20210404_194604.jpg
20210404_195504.jpg
to close to the radiator or fan hit power steering pulley :mad:.

thank's I gave it my all, been messing with cars since I don't know when. wanted to do one off the charts, well at least I tried.:lol:

Nice looking car and the 68 is my favorite of that generation!

Nice job:thumbsup:. Great stance, love the color.. beautiful ride!

Nice looking car and the 68 is my favorite of that generation!
yes me too, a 68 coronet rt 4 speed would be my next one if I get up the ambition, and can find one that is.

Well, you nailed it.
Truth!

Don, you said the car seems to be lacking some power. Check also your timing, as this can do A LOT to make an engine seem sluggish. These old Mopars seem to like a lot of timing!

Truth!

Don, you said the car seems to be lacking some power. Check also your timing, as this can do A LOT to make an engine seem sluggish. These old Mopars seem to like a lot of timing!
I have been messing with it. the car when hot does about a 1 1/2 turn kinda slow then fires every time I have a mechanical advance in this thinking of changing the springs and possibly double checking clearance from pick up coil.

also noticed just a vary slight miss on the passenger side. exhaust, maybe slight valve adjustment? I have isky rockers

Last edited:
I have been messing with it. the car when hot does about a 1 1/2 turn kinda slow then fires every time I have a mechanical advance in this thinking of changing the springs and possibly double checking clearance from pick up coil.
Sorry if I missed this from before. What are you currently running for timing? How much of each static, mechanical and vacuum advance?

Sorry if I missed this from before. What are you currently running for timing? How much of each static, mechanical and vacuum advance?
mechanical started at 12 base been timing by high vaccumn and rpm increases have to throw a light on it and check. raining here now have to try tomorrow

mechanical started at 12 base been timing by high vaccumn and rpm increases have to throw a light on it and check. raining here now have to try tomorrow
I have mine at 18* static/initial, 18* mechanical and another 12* vacuum. I'm NOT saying my settings are ideal - far from it. But just figured I'd pass these along to give you an idea of what my car is running. Plug your vacuum advance (if you are running ported advance) and at idle experiment a little with the timing and see what it likes. You'll hear the engine run noticeably better when it has timing at idle that it likes. If you are running manifold advance, I'd at least see what your base timing is without the advance and set this to around 12* or so, and then hook up the vacuum advance and see what it move to and go from there. Once you have these set nicely you can start messing with the mechanical advance by revving the engine and see where it goes from there.

Good luck!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back