• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don's 1969 Charger Restoration

Don all your hard work is starting to really pay off, as the body of the car is starting to really come together!
Thank you chargervert

Yep lots of clamps. Not much room to weld in the seams near the rain gutter's. Got me a pinch welder from HB freight it worked grate. Also around the front window pinch weld.
I could not use a pinch welder or spot welder because my roof skin was removed from a charger, and I had the holes from the spotweld cutter. So those holes had to get plug welded.
But I agree that if installing an AMD roof skin, a pinch welder would be the ticket!

Been watching for years.. literally, it's great to see it reassembling a Charger again! I don't know anybody that has started with so little, impressive and slightly insane work:thumbsup:

I stripped the e-coat off the quarters, deck filler and valance corners, and sprayed with epoxy primer. I took it all the way to bare metal. I know, I probably could have just scuffed them up but I wanted no possible problems.

20210506_173231.jpg

20210506_173252.jpg

20210506_173304.jpg

20210506_173733.jpg

Then I got some single stage color sprayed on the back side

20210506_190504.jpg

I will get color sprayed on the back side of everything I can.
No one else seems to do this but that's what the guy who is helping me suggests.

The quarters will go back to get sprayed color on the back side. But for now they are going back home with me for a wheel well fitment.

Once all the panels are painted then they can get welded on. At least that's the plan

Last edited:
Been a long road Don, and a long way to go yet. But color, even on the back of a panel has to make you feel really good.

Been a long road Don, and a long way to go yet. But color, even on the back of a panel has to make you feel really good.
Hi Joel, yes it has been a long road, and a ways to go still. But I am blessed to have found someone that has the experience with these cars to help me get over the hump.
With his help (Thank you Kolly) and the Lord willing, I will get there.

you have color! awesome! thats gotta feel good.
It does feel good!

Don, Great looking color!
Pat
Thanks Pat, it's T7 Dark Bronze Poly
And with a white vinyl top and white bumble bee stripe, I think it will look good

Looks nice but will that burn off when you weld it in?
Hi SGT, I had the same question. But the guy helping me says that if you don't shoot it when you have the panels off the car, you will never get paint back down in around and behind all those hard to reach spots. After it's welded in I will have to go back and do some touch up spots like around the burn off from the welds.
And after seeing some of the cars he has built..... well all I can say is HE IS THE BOSS!

Nice to see color going on!
Yes it is quite a WELCOME change

Hi SGT, I had the same question. But the guy helping me says that if you don't shoot it when you have the panels off the car, you will never get paint back down in around and behind all those hard to reach spots. After it's welded in I will have to go back and do some touch up spots like around the burn off from the welds.
And after seeing some of the cars he has built..... well all I can say is HE IS THE BOSS!

Actually the only spots that will need "special" attention will be on the tail panel, where it will be welded to the trunk floor lip. This will be the most visible area.
All the other welded burn spots will be along the perimeter of each panel and will not be seen.
These perimeter spots will still get touched up but will not need to look good.

All of the burned painted spots will get wire wheeled back to bare metal. Then they will get coated with epoxy. The tail panel along the trunk pan lip will get sanded smooth, then resprayed.

At least that's what I am told. We will see............

I like T7, nice choice Don! Then again, I really like my T3 Charger, so...

Been watching for years.. literally, it's great to see it reassembling a Charger again! I don't know anybody that has started with so little, impressive and slightly insane work:thumbsup:

Don,you brought this one back from the dead,I don't know anyone who went in as deep to save a Charger! Nice work Don!

Auto Transport Service
Back