• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't buy Ron Francis switches!

747mopar

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
The Charger hasn't been seeing much road time do to a few issues it's developed, me just not having the spare time and me being sick of fixing **** non stop. I had vapor lock issues that made me reluctant to drive it but thanks to my wife's generous gift (fuel system upgrade) that has been eliminated but I was hoping it's reluctancy to start would also be resolved with this upgrade... Nope.

Finally being caught up around the house I decided it's time to troubleshoot the issue, I taped the trigger down on my timing light and aimed it at the windshield to see what was going on.. bingo. Zero spark, keep turning key from off to start until it fires and eventually you get spark and the car starts. I pull the ignition switch out and Ohm it, same thing... 2nd Ron Francis ignition switch in 20,000 miles!

I rewired the whole car because the original wiring was shot and wanted to upgrade it all using an American Autowire kit, love it. My decision to "upgrade" all of the switches to more readily available ones however was not an upgrade at all! I tried a different brand this time but I have a feeling it isn't any better. I'm not impressed at all with Ron Francis ignition switches to say the least, first one lasted no time so I bumped up to a more robust one, it lasted much longer but 20,000 miles is not impressive.

The Charger hasn't been seeing much road time do to a few issues it's developed, me just not having the spare time and me being sick of fixing **** non stop. I had vapor lock issues that made me reluctant to drive it but thanks to my wife's generous gift (fuel system upgrade) that has been eliminated but I was hoping it's reluctancy to start would also be resolved with this upgrade... Nope.

Finally being caught up around the house I decided it's time to troubleshoot the issue, I taped the trigger down on my timing light and aimed it at the windshield to see what was going on.. bingo. Zero spark, keep turning key from off to start until it fires and eventually you get spark and the car starts. I pull the ignition switch out and Ohm it, same thing... 2nd Ron Francis ignition switch in 20,000 miles!

I rewired the whole car because the original wiring was shot and wanted to upgrade it all using an American Autowire kit, love it. My decision to "upgrade" all of the switches to more readily available ones however was not an upgrade at all! I tried a different brand this time but I have a feeling it isn't any better. I'm not impressed at all with Ron Francis ignition switches to say the least, first one lasted no time so I bumped up to a more robust one, it lasted much longer but 20,000 miles is not impressive.
Back when I was hunting a short , (for about 2 yrs.) , I bought an ing. switch at o`reiliesl , it wasnt the problem , but it was/is a good one ...

so does he rebuild them? Is he a member? He will not replace/fix them?

I've had about 20 Mopars worked on several more.
Never had a problem with a stock ignition switch.
Now bulkhead connections yes.

so does he rebuild them? Is he a member? He will not replace/fix them?
They don't look rebuildable, an aluminum casing peened over a plastic back... I tried to take it apart in hopes of fixing it but for $30? Maybe they would replace it but I didn't want another and wanted it fixed ASAP.

I still have a spare switch or two that came from parts cars and hope the original that's still in my car will still be working once I get to that point.

Auto Transport Service
Back