• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don't know about anybody else....but this site makes me.....

Some members don’t chat much and others do a lot. Get a kick out of the rare messages from members on the site for 10-15 years having a message count in the single or barely into the double digits. Nothing wrong with that. Aside from the wealth of car knowhow, like to read posts when members have shared their life experiences car related and otherwise and I do the same. Some humorous and sad. Some like to share them and others don’t. Some have the time and others not.

Many of us have been around long enough to have lived the golden era of cars and life back then and it is fun to share those experiences as they are not coming back and will disappear when we do.

...read and drive/work on my cars. So much information on this site. I often read threads about questions or issues members are having with their cars even if they don't apply directly to mine. Lots of great members willing to share their knowledge and experience.

The local Mopar club died years ago so this site also provides that sense of community and camaraderie. It's also a great place to drool over all the fantastic rides.
I was in local Mopar clubs going back to the 90s. This place eclipsed all of them, and that was before I met any members in person. Meeting them in person at Carlisle made it even better.

I was in local Mopar clubs going back to the 90s. This place eclipsed all of them, and that was before I met any members in person. Meeting them in person at Carlisle made it even better.
Agree...The South Florida Mopar club was pretty active when we joined in the late 80's. Made lots of friends, some we stay in touch with still. Got some good, and some questionable, advice while restoring my Satellite. By the mid 90's the club was slowly dieing, friends moved away, etc.

I've gotten more out of this site than the club with the exception of the few lifelong friends, and that's only because i haven't had the opportunity to meet forum members in person.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly....there are some real characters on here ! Makes for a fun site !

Whilst not a direct answer to the title question, one thing I have noticed about this forum [no longer than Ive been around] is - it IS a bit more open and 'friendly' than others I have been subjected to. Corvette and Jeep forums have been mentioned; I have been on both. The Corvette site I tried for awhile was, as previously stated, quite 'stratified'. There were strict divisions according to the series of car you owned and the 'original 1967 air in the tyres' crowd pretty well ruled the roost save for the latemodel stuff, and those threads were basically either complaining about dealership warranty work or what bolt on they had just bought that was gonna give a thousand extra horsepower. Not too much in between. A lot of 'see how much money Ive spent' , much like Porsche sites. Not my cuppa.
The Jeep site I visited... well, one was basically if you were over 25 years of age you were obviously not too welcome and the other was not for anyone who didnt live in a rock pile and have at least 40" tyres. Neither particularly helpful or enjoyable. Maybe I just havent found the right one.
I might note here too that I have looked quite a bit at "our" sister site for E bodies. Not a pimple on this one, save for they are more open to political opinion being aired and objective fact being stated even when it is not PC. Otherwise, a poor imitation of FBBO.
I check this site daily - usually several times a day -, tho I dont usually log in or comment too much. Dont always agree with everything - tho after I learned what red Xs 'meant' around here I seldom use them - but its a mostly agreeable place with good tech advice and guys who like to just 'shoot the breeze' some with usually good humour and have taken pictures and are willing to share. So I reckon the answer to the original query would be...'smile'.

Whilst not a direct answer to the title question, one thing I have noticed about this forum [no longer than Ive been around] is - it IS a bit more open and 'friendly' than others I have been subjected to. Corvette and Jeep forums have been mentioned; I have been on both. The Corvette site I tried for awhile was, as previously stated, quite 'stratified'. There were strict divisions according to the series of car you owned and the 'original 1967 air in the tyres' crowd pretty well ruled the roost save for the latemodel stuff, and those threads were basically either complaining about dealership warranty work or what bolt on they had just bought that was gonna give a thousand extra horsepower. Not too much in between. A lot of 'see how much money Ive spent' , much like Porsche sites. Not my cuppa.
The Jeep site I visited... well, one was basically if you were over 25 years of age you were obviously not too welcome and the other was not for anyone who didnt live in a rock pile and have at least 40" tyres. Neither particularly helpful or enjoyable. Maybe I just havent found the right one.
I might note here too that I have looked quite a bit at "our" sister site for E bodies. Not a pimple on this one, save for they are more open to political opinion being aired and objective fact being stated even when it is not PC. Otherwise, a poor imitation of FBBO.
I check this site daily - usually several times a day -, tho I dont usually log in or comment too much. Dont always agree with everything - tho after I learned what red Xs 'meant' around here I seldom use them - but its a mostly agreeable place with good tech advice and guys who like to just 'shoot the breeze' some with usually good humour and have taken pictures and are willing to share. So I reckon the answer to the original query would be...'smile'.
I joined a Porsche site years ago (I really like the 911's) because I had a pretty good handful of Porsche parts that I inherited. I told them why I was there and how I liked the 911 but probably wasn't ever going to own one if it wasn't happening by then and they were nice to me. The parts I had were mostly early 70's engine parts and ended up selling them to a guy that lived in Denmark of all places lol. I asked what was up with that since he lived next to Germany and he told me that the yards there don't keep anything for long and I kinda remembered not seeing anything old in the yards when I was in Germany in the early 70's.

In fact, wrecking yards there were few and far apart.....but there were usually some decent ones that were close to military bases.....for some reason :D. Lots of GI's that got their orders to leave usually just left their 'beater' cars on base and hauled butt or left the nicer ones there for someone else to ship home for them and they never did. I brought my low mileage 71 Stooopid Beetle home and should have left it there!!

I joined a Porsche site years ago (I really like the 911's) because I had a pretty good handful of Porsche parts that I inherited. I told them why I was there and how I liked the 911 but probably wasn't ever going to own one if it wasn't happening by then and they were nice to me. The parts I had were mostly early 70's engine parts and ended up selling them to a guy that lived in Denmark of all places lol. I asked what was up with that since he lived next to Germany and he told me that the yards there don't keep anything for long and I kinda remembered not seeing anything old in the yards when I was in Germany in the early 70's.

In fact, wrecking yards there were few and far apart.....but there were usually some decent ones that were close to military bases.....for some reason :D. Lots of GI's that got their orders to leave usually just left their 'beater' cars on base and hauled butt or left the nicer ones there for someone else to ship home for them and they never did. I brought my low mileage 71 Stooopid Beetle home and should have left it there!!
Glad you had a good experience. I had a 911 [911SC] and just didnt 'connect' on the site I found; mostly seemed a contest of who spent the most money and decrying ANYTHING not made in the Fatherland. Maybe I just had/have a bad attitude...
Since then, I stumbled into the forum over at Pelican Parts while doing some research on Mulholland Drive and it seems better.
My limited experience indicates that the more narrow/limited focus the forum - i.e. the more orphan the car - the better. Theres a greater sense of camaraderie. The major brands seem to be too splintered. Thats why I like this place - Mopars arent as big as, say Chevrolets, in population, but its still pretty darn big and this place feels a little more open and welcoming.

Glad you had a good experience. I had a 911 [911SC] and just didnt 'connect' on the site I found; mostly seemed a contest of who spent the most money and decrying ANYTHING not made in the Fatherland. Maybe I just had/have a bad attitude...
Since then, I stumbled into the forum over at Pelican Parts while doing some research on Mulholland Drive and it seems better.
My limited experience indicates that the more narrow/limited focus the forum - i.e. the more orphan the car - the better. Theres a greater sense of camaraderie. The major brands seem to be too splintered. Thats why I like this place - Mopars arent as big as, say Chevrolets, in population, but its still pretty darn big and this place feels a little more open and welcoming.
Pelican Parts is the site I joined back then after looking at another or two.....seemed like a decent site at the time.

Speaking of clubs. My brother belonged to the Vincent Motorcycle Club. He has passed away. Members had an open invitation to stop in and visit any member word wide I believe.

Had a fellow Barry Howell from England stop in at the farm one spring, on his Vincent. He left England, down through the Africa, freighted to Australia, on to USA , Montreal and headed west to B.C. Don’t remember which way he went back to England. Very interesting fellow.

Speaking of clubs. My brother belonged to the Vincent Motorcycle Club. He has passed away. Members had an open invitation to stop in and visit any member word wide I believe.

Had a fellow Barry Howell from England stop in at the farm one spring, on his Vincent. He left England, down through the Africa, freighted to Australia, on to USA , Montreal and headed west to B.C. Don’t remember which way he went back to England. Very interesting fellow.
Sorry about the loss of your brother.....

Update he worked for for my brother for the summer, got to see a crop harvested and carried on to our place for a day or so.

1986 my wife’s brother and other took a 8 month bicycle tour across Canada to England and Europe. During their trip we had a couple of bicyclists show up from Maine. Were surprised that my wife’s brother hadn’t mentioned that they were coming, nice couple, stayed a couple of days.

2001, friends from Oklahoma came and spent a few days. Picked up a 58 Fargo 313 sweptside. He towed it back behind his 76 Newport. We had to add an extra rear leaf that I had too make sure he didn’t bottom out. He stopped in at the TDC meet in Rapid City. Where we caught up to him again.
Exciting times.

Auto Transport Service
Back