• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door lock replacement

Jonny

Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I have looked and looked, but I can't find a good "how to" on how to get the door locks out of my 73 charger. Do I need to take the windows out too? Help!! Thanks all!

According to the body service manual, no. I would say it's best to have the manual to see the links and rods that connect to the handles and how they are attached.

According to the body service manual, no. I would say it's best to have the manual to see the links and rods that connect to the handles and how they are attached.

ah! I didn't know there was one SPECIFICALLY for that. I will be getting one of those now. Thanks!

Door lock

No need to take window out, roll it up and remove the door panel. This will include the window crank and door lever. You can get lock sets from Year One as well as other places. A look-see-compare should let you know what is required to change them.
Google "door lock replacement" and there is some info. Be carefull not to loose any panel clips as they may fall off when you remove the door panel.

Ive taken the door panel off but the location of the lock cylinder is what is baffeling me. There just doesnt seem to be a good way to get to it. BUT I am aware of this being a possibility, but wasn't sure if anyone knew.

You have to see with your hands. Let me see if I can scan the manual and post. Give me a few.

Tough to see.

scan0001.gif

scan0002.gif

I looked up "hero" in the dictionary, your picture was there!

There doesn't seem to be a good way to get at it...because...there isn't a good way to get at it.

You know how a sprained ankle feels?

That's what your wrists are going to feel like after a while.

So I found out that my problem was the door lock retainer on on of the doors was almost rusted solid to the door skin, making my think it was attached. Once I got the first one out the other took about 5 minutes from start to finish. I can not lock my doors! Thanks again!!!!

(funny you should mention the ankle, mine is sprained!)

Auto Transport Service
Back